So, I made a horrible, buttery mistake...

Options
Kiyomoo
Kiyomoo Posts: 354 Member
I decided to make cookie dough. Yes, I know, weight loss, why cookie dough, should've gone for some salad, anyway...

Now, I can't cook. At all. And though I use this one particular cookie dough recipe as my safe blanket, it still never turns out tasting like cookie dough. I wouldn't even say it tastes good, but it works for kicking the craving, and it's about the only thing I can make with my limited experience and ingredients.

My mother has never tried my cookie dough before, mostly because the results look horrifying and she can't understand my methods. Today, I finally convinced her to try some for the first time.

I couldn't have anticipated the shock on her face. The disgust. The out-right disbelief, as if she didn't know who I was. As if I wasn't her daughter. As if, though she herself can barely cook, she has no idea how she went this wrong in raising someone like me, who had made something this disastrous.

Through bursts of laughter, I had to ask her what she disliked about it so much. I mean, I know it never tastes good, but come on, it's not that bad, right? At least tell me what I did wrong.

She told me she could only taste butter. Fair enough, perhaps next time I'll increase the other ingredients more.

I went and got some for myself, and I was like, yeah, it does taste a bit more buttery than usual. Weird.

That's when I realized.

While I had halved all the other ingredients, I have quadrupledthe amount of butter required.
When I read that the recipe called for 2 tablespoons of butter, my mind went, "Ah, yes! Two sticks of butter", so I used only one stick.

Yeah... one stick is not one tablespoon. Obviously. I used 8 times as much butter as I should have. I'm honestly impressed that I managed to screw up that badly, and never noticed until my mother pointed out the buttery taste.

It's not the first time I've made this recipe, and I knowthat one tablespoon is not one stick. I'm not sure what was happening with my brain. When I was doing the first step (combining the sugar with butter), I was thinking about how it didn't taste as surgery as it usually does and I added a tiny bit more, but it never ever occurred to me that the problem was too much butter instead of too little sugar. I'm at a loss...