Don't like water ....?

Options
Hello there.

Not to keen on normal tap water. Just wondering if adding "No added sugar" dilute orange squash to my water to give it better a better taste is OK ???

Thanks.

Replies

• Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Look into clean tea. Lemon or raspberry flavour. Sweet but only 10cal per sachet
  • idmalone
    idmalone Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm not keen on plain tap water either - it does depend on the location. I decided to get a water cooler and the water in that is amazing. It does cost money but I was spending $$ on juice and sodas anyway and the water is cheaper than that! The cooler is free to rent as long as you order water regularly. If that doesn't work, you could order your favourite water in bulk large bottles and just keep one handy in the refrigerator (I find chilled water tastes better). I also got a smart water bottle which reminded me to drink. I have gone from not really drinking enough to easily drinking 3.5 litres per day (I live in the tropics).
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I hate sugar substitutes (don't care about how they are made, I just don't like the taste) so I've been finding ways to have some flavored drinks with low-ish cals but without these alternative sweeteners. Lately I've been on a fruit tea kick. I like the Tazo passion and wild orange tea bags to make iced tea - I don't have to add very much sugar (I do weigh it to log!) and it is like having some fruit juice but with only about 30 cals for a big thing of it. I've found a few other herbal/fruit tea options I like too. It works well as an alternative to having juice and soda, and you can make "tea concentrate" by brewing double-strength and make it ahead to keep in the fridge - then dilute to your liking, even just adding a little bit to flavor your glass of water.

And I do still allow myself 1 can of full-sugar soda a day, I just fit it in. :-)
  • creesama
    creesama Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I love ice water, but I do need to break up the monotony sometimes so I've been drinking Gatorade Zero, Propel Zero, or crystal light packets. On rare occasions I throw in a diet soda as a treat and even rarer a regular soda. I'm not much of a hot drink fan, so I don't have any tea or coffee ideas.
  • Oneka5
    Oneka5 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Yeah the filtered water does taste better. I use to not be keen on water either. Adding fruit slices helps a lot. Or just adding lime or lemon juice tastes really good too. Chamomile tea is really good, and if you can spare adding honey in it then of course that's yummy.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of water either. Each day, I usually drink 64 oz of tea with a total of 48 calories worth of sugar, plus 14 oz of something else, plus a 24 oz smoothie.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I drink water by the jug. If I go out, I take my water bottle. It tastes ok (ie, it doesn't taste of anything) where I live. I couldn't imagine drinking anything else in this volume!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Luckily, our tap water tastes good because they put a new filtration system in our apartment complex. If you don't like your water, try a filter -- either a filter pitcher, an on-the-faucet filter, or an undersink filter. We used both and they are pretty cheap. An undersink filter worked best long term. All you need is an extra hole in your counter top -- we used the soap dispenser one -- and change the filters about twice a year. I don't usually drink straight tap water but use a soda stream to give it bubbles. Sometimes I put a squirt of ReaLime or ReaLemon juice in it and I don't bother recording the very few calories those represent.

Before we got the soda stream we drank lots of bottled unsweetened-but-flavored seltzer -- either Polar, Poland Springs, or LaCroix -- but bottle disposal became a real hassle and, long term, the Soda Stream pays for itself. We didn't like the Soda Stream flavors but we do like ReaLime and ReaLemon, especially in the handy little squirt bottles shaped like fruit that we can just keep on the end table next to our glasses of fizzy water to use easily.
  • WitePhantom
    WitePhantom Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest - I don't much like it either. My trick is to literally chug it. I know you're supposed to sip it all day, but I just won't do it, so I set an alarm for every two hours and chug a glass down at room temp. It's way easier and I don't have to worry about the artificial sweeteners agitating my migraines. It does take a little getting used to, but it's better than having to taste the water, imo.
  • psyche3764
    psyche3764 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I didn't know you were supposed to sip it all day. Why is that?
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I put a small amount of fruit juice in my glass of water, there's not many calories in it and since i'm a very active person I can afford 100-200 calories from juice.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Ofcourse that's okay. For me personally I enjoy water some days and can't stand it the next. Those days I flavor my water.
  • WitePhantom
    WitePhantom Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    psyche3764 wrote: »

When you chug it the way I do, not as much absorbs into your body. Sipping it all day is more beneficial.
  • MohsenSALAH
    MohsenSALAH Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I put peppermint and slice of lemon to my water, it makes it mote tolerable. Ice cubes also isn't bad idea
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

When you chug it the way I do, not as much absorbs into your body. Sipping it all day is more beneficial.

um, not sure where you are getting your information? your body is advanced enough to handle water just fine - chugged or sipped.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options

Looks like you have a point. I thought it had something to do with water being better absorbed when it has a chance to mix with saliva, but this is what I'm seeing:

https://time.com/5646632/how-much-water-to-drink/

...Nieman says plain water has a tendency to slip right through the human digestive system when not accompanied by food or nutrients. This is especially true when people drink large volumes of water on an empty stomach. “There’s no virtue to that kind of consumption,” he says.

In fact, clear urine is a sign of “overhydration,” according to the Cleveland Clinic. And some of the latest research supports Nieman’s claim that guzzling lots of water is not the best way to stay hydrated.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Looks like you have a point. I thought it had something to do with water being better absorbed when it has a chance to mix with saliva, but this is what I'm seeing:

https://time.com/5646632/how-much-water-to-drink/

...Nieman says plain water has a tendency to slip right through the human digestive system when not accompanied by food or nutrients. This is especially true when people drink large volumes of water on an empty stomach. “There’s no virtue to that kind of consumption,” he says.

In fact, clear urine is a sign of “overhydration,” according to the Cleveland Clinic. And some of the latest research supports Nieman’s claim that guzzling lots of water is not the best way to stay hydrated.

And, to me, it's confirmed by simple n=1 experience.**

If I drink a bunch of water all at once, which I routinely do every morning first thing because reasons, I'm going to urinate a lot, fairly soon. Sipping the same amounts over a period of time doesn't have that big-drama effect, though obviously it's all going to leave eventually if not actually stored in body tissues. Water absorption isn't digestion, wouldn't expect it to behave the same way, even though it relies in part on the digestive system.

** Which I know can be a lying liar that lies, but I think many folks would see the same practical result, consistent with the article you linked.