Opinions please

Options
2»

Replies

• nicole_louise7
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the advise, so should I change to sedentary again? I did have it set as that but then in this thread someone suggested I change to lightly active?
  • shirena26
    shirena26 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Great advice given which ill be taking on board too. Ive been mfp for a while but never took to seriously. I look forward to seeing your progress.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,071 Member
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the advise, so should I change to sedentary again? I did have it set as that but then in this thread someone suggested I change to lightly active?

And this is why you have to trust your own gut.

People will argue BOTH sides until the death on these forums. We are all right. :angry:

Just pick something you are comfortable with and stick to it for a month, then study your projected goals and your goals achieved. It is a personal experiment for you and you alone.
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I used to have my setting on lightly active, and I changed it to sedentary when I got a fitbit which syncs my steps with MFP which in turn adds exercise calories for me to eat. Before I was entering any additional work-outs I was doing. I find the calorie adjustment in either case to be 6 or 1/2 dozen of the other--not a big difference.
  • nicole_louise7
    Options
    Thanks for your help everyone!
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I was told by a friend, who is in amazing shape, that protein shakes are only recommended if you are doing some serious working out. If not, you will gain some unwanted pounds.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    your friend gave you bad information. Perhaps he meant *in addition* to your normal diet... but as part of your calorie/macro plan they are fine.
  • init2fitit
    init2fitit Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    The "eat more to lose" thing is mostly a myth that has been disproved time and again, but people still preach it here.

Please tell me where this has been disproved?
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    so in a typical day, you burn about 2275 calories.

for the sake of easy numbers, let's assume you net about 1700 calories a day through eating and exercise.

2275-1700=575 calories

575 x 7 day = 4025 per week

So that's over a pound of fat you could be losing every week.

Yes, but not net 1700 -- eat 1700 total. Forget about net if you're using TDEE.

Also, it's true that your daily activity setting here should not include exercise you are planning to log. At the same time, it's unlikely you're truly sedentery if you have a job, go to school, leave the house at all...

I think this illustrates the point that you will get a lot of conflicting advice from people who seem really sure of themselves. The best strategy is to understand the concepts yourself so that you can judge whether what people say makes sense or not.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    The "eat more to lose" thing is mostly a myth that has been disproved time and again, but people still preach it here.

It's not something that can be disproved. It's just the strategy of using a smaller deficit for more sustainable weight loss.
  • Damaddie0304
    Options
    Truly, there's no perfect science to weight loss. I have lost 100 pounds year to date but there was no single way I went about it. You have to listen to your body and every body is different. My body, for instance, does not like anything over 1200-1300 calories for weight loss. I would try what myfitnesspal says should be your caloric intake and just see where it takes you. If after a month there is no real loss than cut back in 100 calorie intervals until you see results. Be sure you give each change at least a month for progress though. You are supposed to eat your calories that you burn and def try it out. I can't lose doing it but again, everybody is different. You really just have to play around and see what works. Some people need low carb, I can eat carbs pretty well but I have to keep my sodium VERY low because it affects me and the scale poorly. I have to eat very high protein too because I lose my hair if I don't. Just listen to your body, do online research, and make changes as you needed. I would def try out what myfitnesspals suggests first though, they have a really great startup idea. Good luck!!!
  • init2fitit
    init2fitit Posts: 168 Member
    Options

It's not something that can be disproved. It's just the strategy of using a smaller deficit for more sustainable weight loss.

Yes exactly. So I'm asking him where it has been disproved.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options

Sedentary is honestly just for people who do NOTHING. So if you don't work, never go anywhere and basically sit around your house all day you can use it. Your estimated BMR is a good starting point. If you are using MFP as it is designed I would use Lightly active as it will get you closer to your estimated BMR than sedentary.

Log your exercise and eat back at least half of your calories. Don't start out with low calories - you will just stall after a few months. The best way to do it is to have a moderate deficit based on how much weight you have to lose and do it slowly. If you start out at 1200 calories where will you go when you plateau? 1100? then 1000? Of course if you cut back your food you will lose weight but if you cut back to much your body experiences metabolic slow down which will just stall your loss.

As someone said before the best option is to educate yourself and give whatever you decide to go with at LEAST 1 month before you make changes.
  • saree2013
    Options
    not really required. If you're wanting to gain muscle mass quickly (i.e. bodybuilding) there can be some benefits to taking a proper protein/glutamine shake post workout, but only if you've really pushed it hard in the gym that day. As with all things on the MFP boards, there are some who will vehemently argue both sides... but you can find good scientific research out there to help you decide.

So are you like a personal trainer or something?
  • MickeyBoo
    MickeyBoo Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I would start at eating the 1500 cal a day and not eating back any exercise calories. Try it for three weeks and see if you have any weight loss/weight maintenance/weight gain. (keep in mind that he first week will always have a significant water weight loss)

If there's a loss then no need to adjust, if there's no loss or a gain then you can either lower your cal by 200 a day or exercise more each day to create a bigger deficit.

Everyone is different and you need to find what works for you with your metabolism. It is true that if you don't eat enough and exercise too much then your weight loss won't be as efficient, so it's always better to start at a higher calorie amount and train your system to respond to exercise activity rather than food restriction to lessen calories.

As an example, my system is a bit mucked up due to years of yo-yo dieting, and a sedentary lifestyle due to serious injuries. So at the moment I can eat 1300cal for 5 days and 1500 for 2 days and exercise for 60-90min at a high intensity with weight training each time 4 times a week and still consistently lose weight, from 05-1kg a week. If I throw in an extra exercise session or 2 I can lose closer to 1-1.5kg a week. I am a lot heavier than you but am around the same height and aiming to get to a goal weight that is similar to yours.

Feel free to add me if you want some extra support along the way!