"IIFYM" eating and TDEE---scared to start.

pchesnut
pchesnut Posts: 347 Member
I really want to see if changing the way I eat can break this plateau that I have been on for 4 weeks. I understand it takes a while for your body to adjust to IIFYM way of eating.
Can someone with experience please give me a heads up on what to expect when I start? Weight gain? How long it takes for you body to start letting go of weight.
I am really really nervous about this. I have a fitbit that tracks my exercise and calories burned so I am not sure how to factor that in to my eating.
Please help

Replies

• the fitbit is great. when you connect it to MFP, it will help you adjust your eating to consistently hit your calorie goals.

I think figuring out your BMR is a good place to start.

That's the amount of calories you burn doing nothing at all. That's a good number to shoot for when setting your calorie goals. You'll be cutting calories without starving yourself.

So let's assume you burn 200 calories a day walking.

And your BMR is 1600 (for the sake of easy numbers)

You'll actually want to eat about 1800 calories a day so the net effect of 1800 calories in minus 200 calories out is 1600.

How fast you lose weight will depend on how many calories it takes to get you through the day.

So let's assume it takes 2100 calories to get you through the day. And you're actually doing 1600 a day.

That puts you at a 500 calorie deficit. assuming a pound of fat is 3500 calories. That's about a pound of fat per week you could be losing.

Hope that helps