Do calories still exist if you don’t count them?

Replies

• james_keegan63
    james_keegan63 Posts: 5 Member
    The food I steal from my husband's plate has no calories...just sayin'.

Just like the calories in that last bite that my wife can't finish!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    I've always argued that (only) charity calories don't count, such as the cookies from the school bake sale to buy more books for the school library, or the dinner that benefits the homeless shelter.

It's a lie, but a convenient one.

In truth, every single calorie is either spent, or saved up for later (usually somewhere around my hips), or so many decades of sad experience suggest.

You like stirring the pot, don't you, OP? :lol:
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    OHFlamingo wrote: »
    My Grandson calls calories "delicious points". The more calories something has, the more delicious it will be!

Disclaimer: I appreciate this thread is lighthearted but...

I couldn’t help feeling a little bit sad that the sentiment expressed here is paving the way for another generation to have issues with weight/food.

I fundamentally disagree (and I’m sure this post will garner its share of disagrees, but to hell with that!)....some of the foods that make me sigh with pleasure and satisfaction are those with minimal calories - watermelon, strawberries, cucumber, apples, and most of all tomatoes!

I think social media has been doing that for decades. :(
    This thread is all in fun. I think? ;)
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Sooooo... anyone else have those moments of glancing at your diary thinking “sweet! Calories to spare! Let’s have a snack!” Only to remember the Thing you had earlier and forgot to log AFTER eating said snack? :lol:

Yep 😄 But then I add it to the next day 😔
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Uncounted calories die and are reincarnated as fat.

The real answer is that if you didn't count calories for an entire day but counted every other day fairly precisely for a year the uncounted calories would likely disappear into the margin of error.

Yup, maintaining since 2015 and this is exactly what has happened to me.

I do a rough count of my 2-3 days a year where I go really high calorie (it's usually related to a holiday or special event that would make accurate logging more challenging), but it's just because I like to have some approximation of data. In reality, your body is responding to what you're doing with the majority of your days -- not the days that are unusual.

Our calories in are always going to be an estimate and we're always going to have a margin of error. A day that is much higher or lower than usual isn't going to be significant when it comes to long-term weight trends.
  • dsc84
    dsc84 Posts: 208 Member
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I figure that the extra bites and nibbles I don't count are cancelled out by the morsels I give my dog. I cannot be dissuaded from this opinion.

I like the way you think!
  • slimgirljo15
    It's a little known fact but calories are actually afraid of heights. Therefore if you put your food up high like on top of the fridge or top of the cupboard, calories will not inhabit them... too afraid. :#

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    It's a little known fact but calories are actually afraid of heights. Therefore if you put your food up high like on top of the fridge or top of the cupboard, calories will not inhabit them... too afraid. :#

Ooh good to know! Wait'll my dh gets home and sees all his cookies up high. ;) I don't think calories like the freezer either so we're safe there too, right?
  • slimgirljo15
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

Ooh good to know! Wait'll my dh gets home and sees all his cookies up high. ;) I don't think calories like the freezer either so we're safe there too, right?

Absolutely 😉
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Asking for a friend.

Of course not.....but my hips count them ☹️
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,162 Member

If I'm SCUBA diving and decide to eat a scallop at depth, do I have to count extra calories?

If chocolate lands in my mouth while I'm sleeping, and I swallow it in a dream but don't notice it ever happened, were there calories? Are there fewer if it happens on top of a mountain?

I think "my friend" will have another ginger snap. And stand on tippy toes while they eat it, just in case.
  • slimgirljo15
    mtaratoot wrote: »

If I'm SCUBA diving and decide to eat a scallop at depth, do I have to count extra calories?

If chocolate lands in my mouth while I'm sleeping, and I swallow it in a dream but don't notice it ever happened, were there calories? Are there fewer if it happens on top of a mountain?

I think "my friend" will have another ginger snap. And stand on tippy toes while they eat it, just in case.

Nope, you don't have to count extra for the scallop.. because the mouthful of seawater you would get at depth opening your mouth to eat it washes them out. 😆
    Chocolate has so few calories, its a salad you know.. so eat it up high, down low anywhere you please.
    kdti7ipupfbn.jpg
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 976 Member

I had no idea! Whoo-hoo!!! Sweet!!! ...living close to 8,000’ in the Rockies!
  • DavWillTry
    DavWillTry Posts: 76 Member

Sorry Maggie, it's above ground level, not above sea level.

That is, if the calories are high enough you can't reach them, they don't count! :*
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 976 Member
    DavWillTry wrote: »

Sorry Maggie, it's above ground level, not above sea level.

That is, if the calories are high enough you can't reach them, they don't count! :*

There are no words for the quiet desperation I am now feeling...
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    calories do not count on Fridays :)