Sharing the Light

Options
Just shared a recipe w/ a coworker (who uses WW and is happy with it for the most part) and she asked why I included quantities in grams. SO I went into the explanation about how grams is more accurate than ounces (due to rounding approximations) and cups/spoons are not accurate for solids even though the mayo jar may say a serving size is 1 tbsp.

So that got me to showing her how I take notes when making a dish (dry erase noteboard on the side of my fridge) and then use the final details to edit my recipe in MFP, for logging my own meals.

Now she is excited to go home and see if her kitchen scale has an option to show grams.

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I think Americans are unduly scared of grams because they are so tiny but if we just think of them as handy numbers on a scale we can add, subtract, multiply and divide they make life very easy.

I'm a bread baker. Many recipes want you to adjust the flour until it feels right. This is horrible for the novice bread maker. Making bread by baker's precentages is much easier. You take an amount of flour and add other ingredients in proportion to the flour -- takes out all the guesswork. My standard formula for a nice chewy bread is 600 grams of flour (100%), 12 grams of salt (2%), 12 grams of yeast (2%) and 420 grams of water (75%). I just put the bread bowl on the scale and pour in ingredients one at a time, taring between them. No fuss, no muss.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I use grams to get the right amount of coffee beans for a perfect cup of coffee.