Blister help (running)

Options
I have been running for about two years but recently have increased both frequency and duration, plus my guess is heat/sweat are playing a role, but I am starting to have issues with blisters for the first time! Between my toes, outside edges where the joints are, the sides of my little toes, and the balls of my feet. WTHeck! I don’t think my stride has changed, but the training plan does include “surges” so the faster intervals might change it just enough.

I need to order some more toe socks, I think I do better with the thinner ones rather than the thicker/cushier ones. I have never tried body glide before, but thinking it is time. Maybe bandaids and/or duct tape? Any other tips and tricks? I am in week two of a half marathon training plan and there is no way my feet are going to survive the mileage increases that are coming soon.

This is happening with different shoes, some I have worn the same model for 2 years (not the same pair). One pair is newer, different brand altogether, so I thought maybe they were the issue so I switched back to my old ones last week and still ended up with red, sore spots after just 3 miles this morning. Argh.

Replies

• BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    There are bandages made specifically for blisters. I've used them and they work well.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    If not already, make sure you aren't wearing cotton socks.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Could the surges be allowing the shoe to find lose spots in the laces and that auto-readjustment is allowing more movement than normal?

Are the surges causing you to stop the running back to a walk at some point?
    That could be causing the forward movement to loosen things up more than required.

Or doing more hills and downhills causing same effect of feet shoving forward a bit?

I'm just going off idea feet are moving more due to new training plan.

Could just be the intensity increase is enough to show up places that always had some friction - just not enough to cause problems.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Could the surges be allowing the shoe to find lose spots in the laces and that auto-readjustment is allowing more movement than normal?

Are the surges causing you to stop the running back to a walk at some point?
    That could be causing the forward movement to loosen things up more than required.

Or doing more hills and downhills causing same effect of feet shoving forward a bit?

I'm just going off idea feet are moving more due to new training plan.

Could just be the intensity increase is enough to show up places that always had some friction - just not enough to cause problems.
    The surges I did this morning started with 1 mile relaxed pace (11-12 min), 8 rounds of: 30 seconds 8:20, 30 seconds 12:40, then 1 mile cool down (11-12 min). Not slowing to a walk, but a considerable pace change. I am thinking there must be something different in my stride, or I am just sweating that much more?? Last year I was averaging 1-2 miles per run, occasionally 3. This year my easy run is 3, longer ones are 5-7.

My usual socks are from Puma, the generic ones from Costco. Not sure the fiber content, but I suspect they are part of the issue even though they have never bothered me before (I have also never sweat this much on runs!) Going to order some Injinjis. I had two pair, missing one sock, and lost a full pair to a freak luggage accident on our last road trip (plastic tote on the back was too close to the exhaust and my clothes got melted, thankfully they didn’t burst into flames).

Body glide has a foot specific product, anyone use it before?

ETA: most runs have been my usual neighborhood dreadmill loop that is pretty flat, this morning was at a local park that was even flatter so no drastic elevation changes there.
  • moonangel12
    Options
    https://www.rei.com/product/158128/injinji-liner-runner-mini-crew-socks-womens?sku=1581280003

Contemplating these... two layers. Biggest hesitation is the crazy heat we have been having!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,576 Member
    Options
    Balega socks. Life changing.

Compeed blister patches.

Glide anti chafing stick.

You’re welcome.
  • moonangel12
    Options
    Haven’t heard of Balega - will check them out! Thanks!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I use the body glide for feet. I don’t think it’s any different than the regular body glide but at least I know that’s the one I use on my feet. I don’t know for sure though.

I don’t have any issues with blisters or rubbing or anything when I use that.

Do make sure you’re not in cotton socks. Balega, Feetures, Darn Tough are all brands that have worked for me (lots of variety for thickness/fit/etc.). You’ll really want moisture wicking (especially in the heat). I’ve also had good luck with Wright socks-but they are thicker (double layer) so I tend to only wear those with certain shoes.
  • moonangel12
    Options
    I use the body glide for feet. I don’t think it’s any different than the regular body glide but at least I know that’s the one I use on my feet. I don’t know for sure though.

I don’t have any issues with blisters or rubbing or anything when I use that.

Do make sure you’re not in cotton socks. Balega, Feetures, Darn Tough are all brands that have worked for me (lots of variety for thickness/fit/etc.). You’ll really want moisture wicking (especially in the heat). I’ve also had good luck with Wright socks-but they are thicker (double layer) so I tend to only wear those with certain shoes.
    Very good point! :lol:

I have a couple different brands in my cart on Amazon, going to give them a try and see what works/feels best! I will look at the ones you mentioned as well...
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,374 Member
    Options
    Second for compeed blister plaster and glide stick, and definitely experiment with socks. I used to use bamboo or merino socks for my hippo-like cross country runs (I am not a runner!) as they both seemed to absorb moisture but not rub. Also were temperature regulating.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,656 Member
    Options
    I second the Compeed plasters for blisters. I used to do a lot of skating, a sport where blisters are a fact of life and Compeed were always great. For skating we used to wear two pairs of thin tight slippery socks so friction would occur between the layers of fabric rather than against the skin.
  • ronmatta
    ronmatta Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't have blister problems, but for a good sock, I like "Thirty 48" socks four size ranges by male and female sizes , Right and left foot fit. As marked on sock. On Amazon.
    Normal wash / line dry
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Don't skimp on socks. Check out Balega, Feetures, or my favorites, Smart Wool socks. The cheap ones from the big warehouse store are not doing you any favors.

And get the correct size. The generic ones you buy are sized for small to large feet. You need something that actually fits. :D
  • moonangel12
    Options
    I did my monthly virtual sprint Tri this morning, stretching the 5k to 4 miles to cover my half marathon training run for the weekend :lol: even with damp feet from river water from the swim, wet grass, and sweat, they did OK! Yay! The previous blister spots aren’t normal, but are dry and healing now that (hopefully) the skin has stopped peeling. I did cinch up my shoes tighter which helped, I just have to be careful since my toes easily go numb (autoimmune weirdness)... thankfully they did OK today. Still going to try out different socks because I know as distance increases it will be more necessary to take preventative measures.

Question on toenails (while we’re talking feet) - I suspect my second toe was rubbing against the corner of my big toe nail which caused the most damage. Is it better to cut it short (and risk potential ingrown issues) or let it grow so it’s a flat edge rather than a corner point?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Tight toes rubbing that bad could also indicate a toe box that isn't really as wide as feet would like.

Ever taken out the insole/insert and stood on it with feet flattened out by your weight?

I don't like shoes anymore that the sides spreading out is supposed to compensate for width not even good enough.
  • moonangel12
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I alternate Newton’s and Altra’s... Altra’s being the newest addition. Newton’s are what I have worn the last two years. I got the Altra’s a couple months ago, designed specifically for the wider toe box. The Newton’s are definitely narrower, but I never had an issue until recently... and now I can’t remember which pair I was wearing when I got the initial blisters.

Increasing mileage and new shoes happened around the same time, because I went on one longer run with the Newton’s and ended up with sore feet/toes, likely from the narrower toe box... but even since then my tried and true shoes have given me some hot spots and blisters so that’s why I am not sure what the deal is. I keep thinking maybe heat and sweat. Or maybe I am gripping my toes funny for some reason? That causes the two toes to rub, even in flip flops.

vldqlkchwtso.jpg

ETA: my dog saw me grab my running shoes and is now prancing around... she can hear me open the laces from across the house! It’s crazy! (I have tried sneaking out, her asleep in her crate in another room, and do just fine until I pull the laces to loosen them and she goes spastic).