Gardening Brag Book

2»

Replies

• GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    @GymGoddessGoals what are the spiky looking flowers on the left?

@4legsRbetterthan2 I wish I could tell you. The tags are long gone. They attract dragonflies and butterflies like crazy though. I'm thinking it was either heather or astilbe. They don't do well in the heat here and didn't last very long. I'm in the process of replacing them with succulents. All of the large rocks came from a local Lapidary. I got some nice petrified wood, agate and various matrix like quartz and opal. The grasses bloomed about two or three weeks ago and are really nice.
  • _sw33tp3a_11
    _sw33tp3a_11 Posts: 4,692 Member
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    Feel like this is the appropriate place to say "I love plants!"

I'm an apartment dweller, have a few outside plants, but super serious question about house plants.....

Anyone else have a purple shamrock indoors? Its my beauty, pride and joy - but lately some of the "shamrocks" are getting mushy and dying...I've read its supposed to go into a dormancy around this time of year - but not sure what to do because most of the plant looks good. Only got it last year. Should I stop watering it...as suggested by research 😢...I hate the thought.

Also, if anyone knows - should I let it go dormant and split the pips?
    ...And how to do so

Mine were the same way until my cat decided to play with them and distroy them all completely 😭

They are coming back tho. So I have baby ones. I tried to placed them outside but that didn't work for me. They didn't like the change and wilted. Also, just water it once a week.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    dead-plant-desert-26282243.jpg

It doesn't look like much.... but the roughage is unbeatable.

This sums up my gardening ability. I kill cacti even, which I've been told is quite a feat as well as those little succulents you mist. So... yeah. Plants are pretty, but we don't get along.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator

This sums up my gardening ability. I kill cacti even, which I've been told is quite a feat as well as those little succulents you mist. So... yeah. Plants are pretty, but we don't get along.

I read misting them is wrong. They are desert plants, you are supposed to do a good water every few months.
  • PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,842 Member

I read misting them is wrong. They are desert plants, you are supposed to do a good water every few months.

Every few months? 😬 Good thing I found that out now or I’d have some dead plants. 😂
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    edited August 2020
    It's been very humid and wet for about 48 hours, guess that's perfect mushroom weather? All these little guys popped up. I really need to learn about mushrooms, it's not the first time I have had them in the yard, and I never know if they are ok or not.

zaeeeslilbec.jpg
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    vertego wrote: »
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    Feel like this is the appropriate place to say "I love plants!"

I'm an apartment dweller, have a few outside plants, but super serious question about house plants.....

Anyone else have a purple shamrock indoors? Its my beauty, pride and joy - but lately some of the "shamrocks" are getting mushy and dying...I've read its supposed to go into a dormancy around this time of year - but not sure what to do because most of the plant looks good. Only got it last year. Should I stop watering it...as suggested by research 😢...I hate the thought.

Also, if anyone knows - should I let it go dormant and split the pips?
    ...And how to do so

Here's no. 1, after my mother's best efforts to 'kill it' (her words!) before giving it to me.

drj5qk2jarl5.jpg

...and here it is a little over a month later.

8otxdbdamoil.jpg

wow, you are making me jealous, I may have to track one of these down!
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Quarantine gardener here, started in May. Planted rosemary, lavender, parsley, Bell Peppers, Jalapeno Peppers, cherry tomatoes and tomatoes on the vine. My peppers are my ONLY success. I have learned and will do better in the future. I'll still stay away from tomatoes since I couldn't keep mice away from them. I want to try some different peppers next time in addition to these...

tpjhe06l5rit.jpg