Tips on how to lose weight and stay focused

Options
I know that I have been in the 300's for at least 8 yrs probably even longer. It is so time for a change. I am TIRED of being this big. When I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 15 yrs ago & starting gaining weight, I just basically gave up. I went from being 202 pretty much all my adult life (which I was okay with) to being over 300 in just a year. Everytime, I wld try to lose weight, it wld just be too hard. But I can not take it any longer. My knees are starting to bother me & I'm too young for that. I am supposed to get my first shot in my knee but I really don't want too. I want to do things naturally. I cld have had the bypass surgery years ago but I never wanted too because I thought by now I cld do it on my own. But, obviously that didn't work. I was trying to work out at the gym about 3 weeks ago now & had to stop because my knees are killing me. Never had this much ONGOING pain in my knees before. It's like I just can't win for losing. Any tips wld be gladly appreciated, please & thank you.

Replies

• RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I understand about the hypothyroidism, my weight ballooned very quickly when my thyroid gave out in my 30’s. If I don’t watch myself I can easily gain weight again even though it’s controlled with medication, and sometimes I feel like I have to work twice as hard for half the results as people with normal thyroid function. But you cannot let that stop you! Remember that to lose weight you only need to eat less, exercise is for health and to earn you extra calories to eat. I started with walking since that’s all I could do at my heaviest weight. I also had a bad knee that had given me pain for 19 years. Eventually I was able to walk more, then hike, and now I’m a runner with no knee problems to speak of. But it took time, patience is definitely key! I don’t follow a diet, I eat everything I want, when I want, just not as much as I want :# And even though I run, walking is still an integral part for my weight maintenance, it’s worked for me to keep my weight in check for 6+ years. If I could do it, you can definitely do this! Good luck on your fitness journey! :)
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,472 Member
    Options
    Exercise is overrated as a weight loss strategy. Lots of benefits from exercise but for weight loss start with intake. Fact is I can undo a hour of exercise in about five minutes with a fork in my hand.

What’s needed for weight loss is a calorie deficit. Depending on what you eat now, you may not even have to eat less food by substituting lower calorie choices for high calorie.

Have you ever tried full on calorie counting? That’s a daily calorie target, a plan, using a food scale and measuring cups to crunch numbers, a food diary and problem solving when things don’t work out. It works. There’s a learning curve. If you’re just starting it probably takes a month to get up and running. But even then there are ongoing adjustments. There always seem to be new challenges.

Whatever your medical issues, there’s a calorie target number that will work for you. Be prepared to put in some work to find it. Start with the number the MFP calculator gives you. If you hit the number for several weeks but don’t lose weight cut some calories and try again. There is a number and you will find it.

But weight loss has two facets- a calorie deficit resulting in a downward trend and living with it. There’s a widespread tendency to go all in on the deficit. Don’t do that. Try to make your goal to build a process that you can control and live with long term. In the end weight loss is a byproduct of the process. Give full on calorie counting a try. It really does work. Good luck.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I cannot recommend the podcast We Only Look Thin enough! It’s hosted by a husband and wife who have both lost 100+ lbs. They have so much great advice that’s realistic and are super relatable.