Dry Breaded Baked Chicken

Options
hap2go
hap2go Posts: 105 Member
One of the family's favorite meals is breaded chicken cutlets (which are typically pan fried in olive oil) I'm supposed to be reducing my fat intake so instead of pan frying mine, I baked it in the oven instead. Which actually wasnt TOO terrible but the breading was super dry. Any suggestions on how to get the breading a little less dry when oven baking? (I dont have an air fryer)

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    try reducing the heat and cooking slower, or perhaps putting in an oven roasting bag? I don't often bread meats so I'm not really sure myself.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Chef I am not but I'd imagine that breading will always be dry/crispy unless you have a sauce or some fat to pair it with 🤷🏿‍♀️

I tend to take another approach with my chicken: wet brining for 24 hours (then gently rinse under running water - to remove excess brine - for 5 min before cooking with your method of choice).

The flesh (including breasts) is then so moist it balances out the crunch from a method like breading.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Try using a spray-on olive oil. But don’t use much. Just a little goes a long way to moistening and adding a nice crispness. I usually wait until near the end of cooking - five minutes before done- before spraying and am careful to not overdo it (I like the chicken better when I overdo it but...). Obviously this is adding a little fat but adds way less than pan frying.
    When the bottle is near empty I just add olive oil to it.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Calorie reduction is always easier if you reduce fat because of its very high calorie density. but olive oil has no other adversities. Try coating the cutlets in a little olive oil before breading and then bake them and see how that goes.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    Some air fried bacalao croquettas and dutch bitterballen (=croquettes made with congealed beef stew) I did using oily bread crumbs.p3d9cv23hkgn.jpeg
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I find that soaking cutlets in yogurt and then using panko crumbs mixed with a little grated parm, then a light oil spritz from my mister works fairly well - the chicken is moist and I think that helps the crumb part not dry out totally. But it's not the same as a properly fried cutlet.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe that calls for soaking the chicken breasts in 1 or 2% buttermilk plus some seasonings and a dash of hot sauce for a few hours or overnight. Then I spray the breading with nonstick spray before baking. Delicious
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Try keto oven fried chicken strips from keto connect and watch your portion. It is sòòoo good. 😎
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Corn flake crumbs make an excellent coating for baking chicken, seafood and pork, which creates a nice crispy texture w/o frying.

You can buy it packaged but it's easy to make yourself and much cheaper when you do.

See: https://www.leaf.tv/articles/how-to-make-cornflake-crumbs/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    I find that soaking cutlets in yogurt and then using panko crumbs mixed with a little grated parm, then a light oil spritz from my mister works fairly well - the chicken is moist and I think that helps the crumb part not dry out totally. But it's not the same as a properly fried cutlet.

I was going to recommend dredging in yogurt before breading as well. Maybe egg white would work also? Whole egg does for sure.

For chicken THIGHS, I don't need to do this due to the (slightly) higher fat content of thighs. Not sure if that is too high for the OP though.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    hap2go wrote: »
    One of the family's favorite meals is breaded chicken cutlets (which are typically pan fried in olive oil) I'm supposed to be reducing my fat intake so instead of pan frying mine, I baked it in the oven instead. Which actually wasnt TOO terrible but the breading was super dry. Any suggestions on how to get the breading a little less dry when oven baking? (I dont have an air fryer)

Do you have a meat thermometer? Just want to make sure you aren't overcooking the chicken. I used to overcook chicken to be safe. Now I shoot for breast to be 165 degrees and thighs at least 175 (thighs can go higher without ruining them, especially bone-in/skin-on.)