Garmin Hacked!

Options
lorrpb
lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
Garmin website was hacked with ransomeware! That's why you might not be able to sync today.
https://www.reddit.com/r/kansascity/comments/hwg8vt/garmin_hacked/

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,127 Member
    Options
    Well, it's just a rumor at the moment that they've been hacked/the victim of ransomware. But yeah, huge outage, it's been going on for at least 15hrs now. And annoyingly it's not possible to simply sync between tracker and cell phone.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I did this morning's ride using TrainerRoad......I couldn't stand the idea of nothing showing up in Strava for 2 consecutive days.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ah, for bike computer I sync to computer first - I can manually upload that into Strava and Sporttracks still.

Bummer for the daily stuff when I get active - right now it's hitting on my less than sedentary days anyway - wasn't getting any adjustment no matter what.

That's going to be a real bummer if they refuse to pay and just say we lost user data to last backup XXX days ago.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I've been pulling the .fit files off my watch and uploading them to Strava. I mean it has to be on social media somewhere or it doesn't count. :D

I just linked my Strava to MFP. Let's see what happens tomorrow....
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised there hasn't been more chat about this on MFP. My social media is full of runner outrage!

I use my Garmin primarily these days to monitor my resting rate, track my sleeping, measure how tired I am and calculate my extra exercise calories. It's a bit inconvenient. But if the company has been subject to a ransomware attack (and that seems plausible given they've gone silent for so long), I mostly feel sympathy for the people desperately trying to sort this out.
  • murrayr63
    murrayr63 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Question. During this Garmin server issue, is it best to close off each MFP day (without steps and exercise being included), or leave each day open, hoping that when they get online again, it will automatically update all those missed days of calories burned? The reasonI ask, is if I close off these least few days, w/o any steps/cardio, it's going to log a bad day in calories in/out. Thx
    Murray
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    murrayr63 wrote: »
    Question. During this Garmin server issue, is it best to close off each MFP day (without steps and exercise being included), or leave each day open, hoping that when they get online again, it will automatically update all those missed days of calories burned? The reasonI ask, is if I close off these least few days, w/o any steps/cardio, it's going to log a bad day in calories in/out. Thx
    Murray
    You can also manually add your exercises on your diary... my Garmin hasn’t been synching right for a while so that’s what I have been doing anyway.
  • moonangel12
    Options
    I, too, am surprised there isn't much chatter about this on here - if it weren’t for me reading this when it first popped up the other day I would have been clueless (and NOT happy because I wouldn’t have had data to submit for a virtual Tri this morning... went ahead and tracked through RunKeeper so I could have digital proof).
  • heybales
    Options
    murrayr63 wrote: »
    Murray

As mentioned - nothing special is accomplished closing it except telling your Feed you were below goal, and prediction.

But at a certain point I don't think the past will sync in for corrections. I know I tested adding bogus workouts in the past to discover how many days it was, but forgot.

Discovered I can't actually sync file off FR310XT to computer.
    So manual it is.

At least my daily activity on VF is sedentary or under - so no extra there to figure out.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Here is the page you can go to to see what functions are back up. Currently none.

https://connect.garmin.com/status/
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    You 'may' get the runs synced with MFP but other things like steps and general activity will be lost forever. Your watch doesn't have a local copy.

FWIW - I was able to sync MFP with Strava this morning (after manually importing my .fit file from my watch). At least my runs will show up now.
  • moonangel12
    edited July 2020
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    You 'may' get the runs synced with MFP but other things like steps and general activity will be lost forever. Your watch doesn't have a local copy.

FWIW - I was able to sync MFP with Strava this morning (after manually importing my .fit file from my watch). At least my runs will show up now.

It might depend on the watch, if I am understanding your statement correctly. I have an Instinct and got an alert one time (and only one time) that I needed to synch because storage was full (can’t remember the exact wording). I don’t always synch it up everyday, and sometimes a couple/few days will pass before I think about it.

But maybe that’s just workouts and not daily info? Not sure now.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    My watch is currently showing me 7 days of steps/calories/etc (in pretty colored graphs so I have no idea what the numbers are-but it must have them in order to create the graphs?). So maybe it’s device specific? Or my watch is making stuff up (which it could be since I have no idea what the actual numbers are).

In the FAQ on the page about the outage, in reference to “will my data be lost?” They respond that everything in the watch will sync to Garmin connect. Super. How about the years and years of running/biking/etc history many of us have stored there. That’s conspicuously absent from the answer about potential data loss.

I’m also linking my Runkeeper for all my virtual events that only accept results from a linked GPS device/app. Runkeeper thought I was running a 1:27 mile (1 minute, 27 seconds) at one point in my run today. Seems legit. It was real feel 102 degrees with 0 mph winds. That’s bound to be when I’d become superhuman.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    @dewd2 and @Duck_Puddle

From Garmin's UK FAQ page regarding data and device storage....
    https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/outage/

Was any Garmin Connect customer data lost during the outage?

Although Garmin Connect is not accessible during the outage, activity and health and wellness data collected from Garmin devices during the outage is stored on the device and will appear in Garmin Connect once the user syncs their device.

Was my data impacted as a result of the outage?

Garmin has no indication that this outage has affected your data, including activity, payment or other personal information.

(Personal observation - "no indication" when their ability to access and control their systems doesn't fill me with complete confidence although they must have data backups from before the attack. )
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    That’s what I read on the US site.

The first question only talks about data on the watch. Which is nice but a small drop in the bucket for my data concerns.

And “Garmin has no indication” also fills me with zero confidence. I too would hope they have backups. But I guess we’ll find out.
  • pfprimo
    pfprimo Posts: 91 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Garmin user since 2004. I'm hoping all my activities will still be there when they come out of this. If not, oh well, on to another chapter. I'll take this as an opportunity to break away from technology, perhaps it will return some amount of natural joy to my workouts. I can manually upload my activities through hard cable, to my Strava account, so no real hardship on my part.
  • heybales
    Options
    I didn't realize the switch to Garmin Express prevented me from getting my data off my device to be imported into something else.

Not sure if I can get Garmin Communicator to run on Win10.

At least I have all prior data local. (to my own problems of infrequent backups I suppose)