Meal Replacement Shakes

Options
2»

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Please do ask questions! I know the community can at times be a bit snarky (guilty as charged as well) but is generally well meaning and, compared to many sites the regulars are very science driven.

Mind you, I had lots of fastfood this week. I had a burger of 100gr beef with pickled veggies, avocado, low fat poppy seed yogurt, carrot and some crunchy leaves in a small raisin bun and a big salad with the same yogurt sauce on the side. Came in at 560 calories and was absolutely delicious. (yes, no cheese. I liked the stuff on it too much to bury it under cheese taste). Today I had tempeh marinated in some kind of sharma mix I whacked together, a pile of various veggies, garlic on small tortillas and with guacamole. About 550 calories. I find tortilla have a lot less calories than tacos, thus that's my choice. I prepared much more tempeh and veggies than I could fit on the tortillas, thus I ate the rest without.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    keke7133 wrote: »
    Hi! I just started my most recent weight loss journey yesterday. I chose to do meal replacement protein shakes. So far I found that 1% milk makes them so much tastier. Using water wasn’t for me. Should I switch to something with less calories? Or is 1% milk ok? Also, on top of the protein shakes, I’m eating healthy dinners. I’ve dieted in the past, but I’ve never dieted using shakes. It’s always been just good old fashion healthy eating and calorie counting. Anyone else diet both ways in the past? What way gave you better/quicker results? Thank you!

I personally like shakes and smoothies as long as I stay aware of their calorie totals (some can get high). For me a low calorie and nutrient dense shake can help me maintain my nutrients easier while in a calorie deficit. I struggle to hit my protein goals when cutting so I’ll often have a premier protein shake for lunch. It’s 160 cals and 30g of protein so it works well with my goals.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    i dont use shakes myself - but if you are happy using them and your overall calorie intake is on target and your total intake is reasonably nutritious - sure, do it if it works for you.
  • keke7133
    keke7133 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I’m on day 5 and I’m surprisingly really enjoying them. So far shakes work for me. Thank you!
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    keke7133 wrote: »
    My kids aren’t picky. If mom likes it, they usually like it also! My problem is getting my husband to eat healthier. He likes take out and fried foods way too much. Say he wants a cheeseburger for lunch, I’d have to make him the cheeseburger, and make myself something else bc I know I can’t just eat some of that burger. I’d eat it all. I have no will power when it comes to tacos, burgers, and chicken wings. Lol I have to either eat all healthy, or all bad. I’m hoping I can start to slowly get him on the bandwagon, then I can stop the shakes and eat healthy meals as a family. Shakes have been a great start, but I know it’s not something I can keep doing forever.

My husband eats what I make, or he can cook for himself. That said, I generally eat the same as him with smaller portions and some extra veggies or a salad. If he wanted fried foods, he would definitely cook for himself lol.

Sounds like your husband might need a reminder that regardless of weight, his food choices are very unhealthy and I would imagine he wants to be around to watch his kids grow up.