Tofu Help

Options
2»

Replies

• jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    If all else fails, you can buy marinated baked tofu. I got some packs at Meijer's: Nasoya, Teriyaki is great right out of the pack but I cut it up into blocks of about 7 grams protein each, wrapped in plastic sandwich bags (ties to seal), and froze. They're even good still frozen, but waiting to thaw a bit or letting them thaw a little in an oven or microwave will let you slice them up into smaller pieces to add to veg etc. or just eat on the side.

I keep saying I'm going to learn how to do this myself, but I'm having enough trouble just feeding the cats (where's that can opener?) so this is not the year.
  • jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    However, even I was once able to blend tofu til smooth to use for dips. Just add some lemon juice to sub for dairy sour cream. If needed, can add some oil. One recipe for tofu-based mayo suggested adding mustard powder. There are loads of recipes on the web these days, though. Nowadays, there are so many good eggless mayos available that I haven't done this many years.

Blended tofu can also be used as the base to make instant pudding. Being kitchen-challenged, I just have used dairy-free junkie pudding mixes.

Chopped tofu (I use a fork) also works to sub for egg in any egg salad recipe.

Always with tofu, give it some time in the fridge to let the tofu absorb all the other flavors properly.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    I only use extra firm tofu. All of the excess water has already been pressed out of it.

Just cut it into cubes to add to broth or in stir fry w/other proteins and/or veggies.

Sometimes coat it w/cornstarch and fry it in oil but the the low cal benefits of tofu are lost.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,430 Member
    Options
    I don’t mean this to sound smart *kitten*. I am genuinely curious.

For what purpose would you want to use the silken tofu? It seems to have very little nutritional value, other than 4g protein per serving. (Firm tofu is far higher.)

I did get a pack and tried it with some Ghirardelli ground sweet cocoa, but I don’t get the benefit?

I do appreciate the suggestion. I’m always experimenting to find the next “big taste”, but this one just flummoxed me.

I’m going to try some of the firm tofu suggestions later this week.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options

For what purpose would you want to use the silken tofu? It seems to have very little nutritional value, other than 4g protein per serving. (Firm tofu is far higher.)

I did get a pack and tried it with some Ghirardelli ground sweet cocoa, but I don’t get the benefit?

I do appreciate the suggestion. I’m always experimenting to find the next “big taste”, but this one just flummoxed me.

As a vegetarian, I guess I think of this differently than you do.

I strive to get a little protein from most of the calories I eat. In that context, I often consider foods in terms of calories per gram of protein. I figure any food ingredient with 1g protein per 10 calories (or fewer) is a reasonable protein source to consider adding to things, if there are ways I enjoy it. Depending on brand, silken tofu can be close to that. It's usable in certain situations (like some of the creamy, blended things) where firm tofu isn't as good (IMO).

While extra firm tofu and smoked tofu (the more common purchases for me) are more protein dense per serving, it's also more calorie dense. The Nasoya extra firm in my recent list, for , was 215 calories for 21.5g protein, so in that same realm of 10 calories per protein gram. Some other brands have a little better ratio than that, but usually not dramatically.

I don't use a lot of silken tofu, but use it occasionally. Personally, I don't think I'd just eat silken tofu in the way people have described above (nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't appeal to me). Since I do eat dairy, I'd prefer something like plain nonfat Greek yogurt with chocolate PB2 and frozen berries (say), which would have a similar or better protein/calorie ratio, and be tastier to me.

So, I'd be blending silken tofu into a smoothie or soup or sauce or that sort of thing, to increase its protein contribution without negatively affecting taste/texture.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,608 Member
    Options

I use silken tofu to blitz into traditional creamy Japanaese salad dressings. They incorporate incorporate soy, sesame, miso.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,430 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I hadn’t looked at it that way. I guess protein comes “easier” to non-vegetarians, although it doesn’t feel like it, sometimes.
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I do what @acpgee does.
    I put it in my blender with salt, olive oil, bit of garlic and bunch of herbs and blend. It makes a creamy smooth dip for veggies.
    All my friends couldn't believe it was dairy free.

I also make burgers. You add crumbled tofu into the meat. https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/asian/tofu-burgers-japanese-style.html
    Keeps it juicy!

And I wrote this in another thread. This dessert was mind blowing! https://pinchofyum.com/vegan-chocolate-pie
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Generally I drain it, wrap it in a couple of clean tea towels and press it under my pestle, or a couple of recipe books while I prepare other stuff. Freezing and defrosting firm tofu can help get more water out I find although it's not a necessity.

Then I cut it into chunks and toss it in cornflour, sometimes seasoned with onion and garlic granules. I fry it in preheated oil. Enough to not be a shallow fry but not really deep frying either (probably closer to deep frying I suppose). I turn.it a couple of times until it's nice and crisp, and drain it on a plate with kitchen paper until I'm ready to add it into whatever I'm making - usually pad thai or sweet and sour or something else where the flavours will be lent to the tofu.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

Silken tofu is what non-dairy desserts like tofu cheesecake call for. While I'm sure some people do, I don't look at desserts as a source of nutritional value. If they have it, like iron in chocolate, that's just a bonus as far as I'm concerned :)

https://www.thekitchn.com/tofu-varieties-whats-the-difference-201345

...Silken tofu works well in creamy and blended foods like smoothies, desserts, puddings, salad dressings, sauces, and dips. It can also be used as an egg substitute in baking.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Silken tofu also makes great pumpkin pies. I also use tofu instead of ricotta for my wife (I blend with eggs, nutritional yeast, sometimes even add soaked raw cashews and sun dried tomatoes), who is allergic to cow dairy, in lasagna.

I'm having it this week, as a matter of fact (below)

Making a Buddha Bowl with peanut sauce -- will take firm or extra firm tofu, dry out and marinate it in Ponsu sauce (great for tofu). Then, I'll take raw ingredients with cooked mung bean sprouts, black beans and roasted sweet potatoes. Thinking raw and shredded pea pods, red cabbage, kale with sesame oil, maybe zucchini. Put it all in a bowl with the fried tofu (pan fried after marinating all day) and then cover with a simple peanut sauce -- tamari, rice wine vinegar, maple syrup, fresh ginger/garlic and peanut butter with some sesame oil. The tofu won't be the star of this dish, but it's good and adds protein.