Can sugar be replaced with monkfruit sweetener easily?

creesama
creesama Posts: 125 Member
So I have a chocolate chip cookie recipe and wondered if swapping the sugar for the monkfruit sweetener would cause any problems? I'm not trying to make them keto friendly or anything like that. Just wondered if that would be a simple way to reduce calories a bit and enjoy a little indulgence. I know I could enjoy them with regular sugar as long as I'm in my deficit, but thought shaving off a few calories might be nice and I could possibly have a second cookie that way ha 😁

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    Baking is a tricky alchemy. I would initially try swapping a third or quarter of sugar for monkifsh sweetner and see if you get a decent texture. In my experience, coconut macaroons come out well with half of the sugar swapped out for splenda, but pavlova bottoms don't fare so well with a 50% replcement as they don't harden.
  • creesama
    acpgee wrote: »
    Baking is a tricky alchemy. I would initially try swapping a third or quarter of sugar for monkifsh sweetner and see if you get a decent texture. In my experience, coconut macaroons come out well with half of the sugar swapped out for splenda, but pavlova bottoms don't fare so well with a 50% replcement as they don't harden.

That's a good idea, thanks for the response! I'm new to using artificial sweeteners
  • creesama
    whmscll wrote: »
    A better way to save some calories is to swap out 1/2 the butter/margarine with unsweetened applesauce. It makes 0 difference in how to cookies look or taste IMO.

Thanks!! I think I remember doing this in home-ec in HS with cake, but haven't ever tried cookies!
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    I would look up a recipe that is similar to the one you want because you can't relace monkfruit one for one with sugar.
  • creesama
    I would look up a recipe that is similar to the one you want because you can't relace monkfruit one for one with sugar.

The package says 1:1 replacement...?
  • AshHeartsJesus
    Hmm try it and see then. It will probably be yummy 👍
  • AshHeartsJesus
    If it has maltrodextrin in it be careful that can raise your blood sugar to. It should only have monkfruit, but some companies are sneaky 😐
  • creesama
    If it has maltrodextrin in it be careful that can raise your blood sugar to. It should only have monkfruit, but some companies are sneaky 😐

Good to know, thanks!!
  • 42firm03
    42firm03 Posts: 115 Member
    If it’s Lakanto then you can swap it 1:1 and my family can’t tell the difference. That stuff is magic. Swapping butter for applesauce would work in other kinds of baked goods but not cookies!
  • Tonydevolanii
    Tonydevolanii Posts: 658 Member
    If you're looking to replace sugar with something alternatively sweet also I think you are in the wrong way and you will collapse soon
  • creesama
    edited July 2020
    If you're looking to replace sugar with something alternatively sweet also I think you are in the wrong way and you will collapse soon

Not sure what you're trying to say here...
  • Tonydevolanii
    Tonydevolanii Posts: 658 Member
    I can see
  • creesama
    42firm03 wrote: »
    If it’s Lakanto then you can swap it 1:1 and my family can’t tell the difference. That stuff is magic. Swapping butter for applesauce would work in other kinds of baked goods but not cookies!

Yes, Lakanto, it's awesome! Kinda pricey, but I think about what I'd spend on other sweets in the past and it's about the same, minus calories!
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    If you can get past the aftertaste...I can’t
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

I've been doing this since 2015, when do you expect my collapse?
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Oooo, Tony. Ain't nobody got time for more collapse. 'Rona, hurricanes, earthquakes and wild swings UP and down in the stock market. Using monkfruit in a recipe is small potatoes.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    creesama wrote: »
    So I have a chocolate chip cookie recipe and wondered if swapping the sugar for the monkfruit sweetener would cause any problems? I'm not trying to make them keto friendly or anything like that. Just wondered if that would be a simple way to reduce calories a bit and enjoy a little indulgence. I know I could enjoy them with regular sugar as long as I'm in my deficit, but thought shaving off a few calories might be nice and I could possibly have a second cookie that way ha 😁

I can't help you with your monkfruit question, but for most baked goods recipes I can reduce the sugar by at least 1/3 and get excellent results.

If you do that plus the applesauce thing you can shave considerable calories.

Let us know how they come out!
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    Try it and see how it tastes