Hatha Yoga? I've never done a Yoga class before...help! (Ove

kspeach
kspeach Posts: 179 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
Thinking about a Yoga class tonight....it's Hatha. But I read online you shouldn't do it while you're on 'that tom of the month.'. Hmmmmmmmm. I'm already intimidated enough by the thought of doing it!

It's free at my gym, and it's taught by a very good teacher. (My son's best friend's mom)

I already intimidated by never doing Yoga before, and possibly the biggest person and most out of shape person there...and then I read that you shouldn't do it while menstruating....?

Any thoughts? I have around 30 min or so to decide....if not tonight, for next week! :)

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• I would try it. If you don't like it, you don't have to go back. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do it during TOM. If anything, I would think it'd help with the bloating, back pains, etc that some people get. So I say go for it, and let me know how it goes...I've been wanting to try Yoga as well!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    The first time I did yoga was the P90X version. I was very stiff, uncoordinated, and just plain bad, but I liked it. Doing that, Jillian Michael's Yoga Meltdown and Bikram hot yoga (Bikram yoga in 105 degree room), I've gotten much more flexible, and it's a great stress reliever, not to mention a core/balance/strength workout. I highly recommended it at least once! Unless there's a medical reason why they say you shouldn't do yoga while you're menstrating then I don't see a problem; I did P90X yoga during that time and didn't have an issue. Go for it!
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    If you are interested in starting yoga go for it. You will probably have a hard time and may even fall over a bit, but that is alright. Everyone else in that class probably went through the same thing when they started out. Just do your best and enjoy it.
  • jillcwhite
    jillcwhite Posts: 181 Member
    I suggest taping a yoga show on tv or checking an DVD from the library. There are several yoga shows on cable channels. You could learn some of the basic moves at home and see how flexable you are. Then when you do the class you wont be completely lost or injure yourself. I have done yoga for years and enjoy it. I can tell you that the more out of shape you are the harder it is and the breathing is more rapid. As you get used to the yoga it gets easier and easier. Dont give up the first couple of times - you will be sore, but a good work out sore. Good Luck - always fun to try new work outs!
  • MommyofLily
    MommyofLily Posts: 149 Member
    Go for it! It's nerve wracking, but you'll feel so good if you go, I promise. I'm always the biggest person in my class! Nobody is paying attention to what you look like though, they're all too busy trying not to fall over. I HIGHLY recommend hatha yoga. I've been doing it for over 6 years. So many benefits!! If you need any advice, send me a message.

P.S.- I go all the time when I'm menstruating... not sure why they say not to! :)
  • cajrowles
    cajrowles Posts: 3
    Yoga is the best thing you will do. You will feel great and that is rediculous about the TOM!
This discussion has been closed.