HELP! I don't want to start obsessing, but I think I'm starting to

vannahsanders
vannahsanders Posts: 16 Member
Possible TW?

When I was a teenager, I would do nothing but crash diet and it did mess my metabolism up I'm sure. I count every little thing (as I should), but it's to the point that I'm obsessed with being TOO careful and hate giving myself any leeway. I've been strict on my 1200 calorie diet, and I eat super healthy foods. My favorite drink to relax at the end of the night is White Claw, and I'll drink about 3-4 of those. That's 300-400 calories though and I count that (obviously) towards my intake (albeit empty calories). I only drink 1-2 times a week, but that's when I notice I go from having trouble reaching 1200 calories to exceeding it by about 50 calories. Meaning, I'll eat 1250 calories and I'll feel nothing but guilt. Someone please tell me I'm doing okay and I need to stop obsessing. I don't want to go back to my old ways of feeling like nothing I do is good enough. I've been doing so, so good.

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Have you thought about reaching out to a therapist for help? I've had an eating disorder in the past, and it was a big help to talk to someone.
  • Spills987
    Spills987 Posts: 1 Member
    Hey! I know this feeling too. I'm actually not there this time around but I've definitely felt like that on past weightloss missions. I read an article the other day about how we need to change our inner voice and speak to ourselves like we'd speak to a friend. You wouldn't judge a friend for treating themselves once in a while (especially when they've been doing such a good job!) so why judge yourself? Can send you a picture of the article if it would help, it's a good read 😊
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    You’re doing ok and you need to stop obsessing.

I don’t know if hearing that from a complete stranger will actually help but that’s what you asked for.

If I’m being honest though you don’t sound like you’re doing ok. 1200 calories is really low (I know because that’s my allowance too) and using 300-400 of those on alcohol a couple of times a week really means your eating is way way too low.

If you must drink that much I’d say pick your drinking day for the week and give yourself 1200 plus 300 for alcohol that day. That way you still get proper amounts of food. The difference in weight loss will be minimal (it will mean losing about one pound less every 3-4 months) and you’re much more likely to stick with it.

But you need to truly embrace the idea so you don’t feel guilty.

If you can afford some kind of therapy I’d say give it a try. If you can’t I’d recommend trying some health focused podcasts.