Options
2»

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »
    harper16 wrote: »
    Weighing yourself daily or twice a day doesn't seem like an obsession, for most people on here including myself that's normal. I like seeing the daily trends. If you are more comfortable going without a scale and relying on clothes, or other measurements there's nothing wrong with that. It's all about what works best for you.

Obsession isn't really about how often you weigh yourself. It's about your mental and emotional relationship to weighing yourself. A "normal" behavior for one person can be obsessive for someone else.

I agree with this, and I should have done a better job of explaining myself. Thank you for the insight.

Thanks for taking it in the spirit it was meant. On reflection, I might have done better quoting the OP rather than you, but there was something in the phrasing of your first sentence that sent my mind down this corridor, so in the moment it seemed natural to quote you.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    My approach: I weigh once a week in the morning, during the "naked time" between bathroom activities and getting dressed. Once in a while I forget that it's weigh-in day. If I remember when I've only pulled on one or two undergarments, I'll strip back down and weigh myself. If I don't remember until I'm fully dressed and headed out the door, I won't bother and will just weigh the next day. Personally, if I felt like I had to go back inside and strip to weigh myself just because it was weigh-in day, for me that would feel obsessive, even though I was only weighing once a week.

If I were weighing everyday because, for example, I wanted to gather more data and use a trending app, but I was fine with missing the occasional day because I forgot or I was really pressed for time, that wouldn't seem obsessive, even though I was weighing everyday instead of once a week.

I don't think weighing multiple times a day is necessarily obsessive, but it seems unnecessary and would likely be introducing a lot of noise into your data. If someone doesn't understand intra-day weight fluctuations, I think it could also introduce frustration.
  • keke7133
    keke7133 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    @swimmchick87 thank you so much! Everything you just said is exactly what I needed to hear. We are so similar in our weight loss journeys over the years. The fact you had the will power to quit your scale is inspiring. Again, thank you and congratulations on sticking to your healthy lifestyle.
  • keke7133
    keke7133 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    @tgillies003 you're right. Diet isn’t a word I should use. Especially since maintaining is what I’ve failed at twice in the past. Thank you for calling me out on that. 🤣😘
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    When I was actively losing weight, I weighed myself everyday under the same conditions (wake up, use bathroom, unclothed (inbetween pjs and real clothes), no breakfast) for reliability of my data.

I felt like daily weighing kept me accountable and on the right course. It was a slow process, but I learned not to freak out over time as long as the overall trend was downward over the weeks and months.

Once I lost the desired amount (months+), I cut back to once a week to check in on maintenance skills. Now, I weigh myself once a month max twice a month. At this point, my clothes will let me know if I need to reasses.

Having said this, I still log and weigh my food...which sounds obsessive, but logging and weighing is habitual now, and takes the stress out of eating for me, b/c I've pre-planned most meals.