Trying to accept being bigger and healthy.

Options
dyo9b9ktczve.jpeg

I am currently 5’2 and 162 pounds. I recently had bloodwork done at my physical and all of my labs were good (cholesterol and LDL very low, HDL very high) and my calculated cardiac risk ratio was below the average person. However, my BMI right now is technically “obese” and it’s driving me crazy. I don’t want to be obese anymore. But I think because I have a lot of muscle I am naturally bigger, even when I was the smallest I was never able to really go below 140. Is this genetics or will I be able to go under 140 while still keeping my strength? I try to be positive but it’s hard not to obsess about like I’m gross or something...

Replies

• keke7133
    keke7133 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It’s all about how you see yourself. I look at this picture and think you look great! Seriously, 160 looks a hell of a lot better on you than it does on me lol.
  • lilharumaki
    lilharumaki Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    keke7133 wrote: »
    It’s all about how you see yourself. I look at this picture and think you look great! Seriously, 160 looks a hell of a lot better on you than it does on me lol.

Thank you, I’m sure you’re a beautiful person on the inside like you are on the outside! 💜 It’s true, I guess it’s all how you feel and if you feel healthy and good. It’s hard not to get caught up in the numbers sometimes I think!
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Just be the best you, you can be.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    BMI is nonsense. My husband used to lift a lot. He was very muscular and had 6 pack abs. His BMI score put him at overweight. I use the navy method instead of BMI and calculate body fat.

https://www.wikihow.com/Measure-Body-Fat-Using-the-US-Navy-Method

Try that instead of BMI
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    In your case, i think bmi is not a great indicator. I agree with @PAV8888 , you look good. In fact, if you are ever in n. Florida, I'll be happy to lift with you. 😉
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,761 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    In your case, i think bmi is not a great indicator. I agree with @PAV8888 , you look good. In fact, if you are ever in n. Florida, I'll be happy to lift with you. 😉

Be nice Romulus! Plus don't forget that you Floridians are a no-go these days! ETA: I need to learn to read: I though you said you were going to LIFT HER as opposed to lift WITH her, oops!

@lilmakiroll you should probably take a minute and sort through the things that are bothering you and put them in some sort of order before you decide on your next moves.

I would suggest against starting a weight loss attempt without a complete commitment from you to trying to develop a process that will enable you to both lose and maintain your weight long term. This would also require you to prioritize weight management.

Given your new city/new career/long hours/etc I don't know whether you have the head space and desire to set other things aside to do so.

At the same time "letting go" is not a great option for the same reasons. And I don't know about where you are; but I've been mostly negatively impressed with the quality, variety, and caloric levels of hospital cafeteria food that I've encountered. And of the restaurants around four out of the six I've spent some time around...

So some careful consideration needs to be applied in how you move and eat in order to prevent your top overweight but still sub-obese BMI and probably high normal weight energy reserve levels from moving on to becoming a future health concern!

Perhaps finding a way to continue to train would be just as important as continuing to maintain your weight with a slight nod towards very slow weight loss? Have you looked into power-lifting? @quicksylver0922 had a video of a pretty interesting looking @home routines! :wink:

In any case, your pic and sub 20lb goal does validate once again the "go slow" barely at a deficit approach. I believe with 20lbs you should not be looking at much faster than 0.5lbs a week!

79abko1u5b1u.jpg

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,470 Member
    Options
    Hey hun, we seem to have very similar bodies: amazing belly and shoulders/biceps and stronger legs. It's a bodyshape where you don't notice a bit too much weight too easily. I'd love to be a walking, more androgynous stick, but this does have some definite advantages <3
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,035 Member
    Options
    I'm an older lady and I have nothing to add to these great comments by some very smart people, but I just want to say I think you're a beautiful woman and I want those clothes. I love that gear!
  • lilharumaki
    lilharumaki Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm an older lady and I have nothing to add to these great comments by some very smart people, but I just want to say I think you're a beautiful woman and I want those clothes. I love that gear!

Thank you so much, this made my day! You are truly a beautiful person! 💜 If you’re interested, they are from Stronger Sweden- they make some really nice quality activewear. I like it because their sports bras are reinforced- a girl like me needs heavy duty haha. 😂