Hair loss with 18:6 IF?

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm 50 yrs old and know how much hair is typically in the drain when I take a shower. For 3 months I was doing IF and eating enough calories to be losing a reasonable amount per week...1-1.5 lbs. But there was about twice as much hair in the drain. I have lost weight before at this rate and never ever experienced hair loss. The only thing different this time is that I'm doing the IF, something I've never done before. But like I say I am 50y.o. so I was thinking it was due to hormonal changes associated with perimenopause even though I have no symptoms of that starting. So I was continuing on with the IF until I got the Corona virus (mild case) and I decided to stop IF (and actually dieting all together for a little while) while I was getting over that and now my hair isn't falling out as badly. This makes me sad because I LOVE IF! Has anyone else ever experienced this and did your body eventually adjust? Because, I guess it's not hormones.

Replies

• adusia992
    adusia992 Posts: 11 Member
    Hey there. I fast for 2 years now. And I do 24:1 through the week and 18:6 durig the weekends. I take multivitamin, vitamin D, C, B12 and omega 3-6-9 and I have superfood fruit blend as I know I won’t get enough fruits in my diet and didn’t noticed any hair loss. Maybe you should take some vitamins and see if that will change anything.

• Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    I am in my 50's and was losing hair prior to dieting. I had a vitamin D deficiency due to being severely lactose intolerant. I suggest you schedule an appointment with your GP and have some blood work done. I am currently on a 1200 calorie diet and am not losing hair. Vitamin D and iron deficiencies are common so it would be worthwhile to check for these.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    This sounds more like a nutritional issue. Have you spoken with your doctor to have a metabolic panel?
  • joyanna2016
    joyanna2016 Posts: 323 Member
    Based on my rate of weight loss I don't believe I am under eating. I work hard to make sure I meet the protein goal set by MFP and I eat plenty of fat too. I only do 20 minutes on the bike if I do exercise and otherwise I'm pretty sedentary. I do take a multivitamin and lately a hair and nails vitamin. I've never been anemic in fact my doctor usually comments that my iron is very good. Nothing has really changed with my period so I'm feeling pretty good that nothing has changed with the iron since my last labs in Feb. I just don't know. Maybe I'll just have to give it a little more time and experiment.luckily for me I have thick hair and while I can definitely feel that it is thinner, it still looks normal. Maybe I can figure it out before I have to buy a wig! Thanks for the words of encouragement that it's probably not the IF!
  • joyanna2016
    Hair loss is usually delayed and happens a few months (usually 3) after what triggers it. Did you experience increased stress a few months ago?

No, covid19, but it wasn't particularly stressful to me and there was nothing else. Started IF and dieting Feb.12.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Hair loss is usually delayed and happens a few months (usually 3) after what triggers it. Did you experience increased stress a few months ago?

No, covid19, but it wasn't particularly stressful to me and there was nothing else. Started IF and dieting Feb.12.

Event triggered hair loss usually subsides on its own. You could either test for deficiencies or wait it out for a couple of months and look for answers with a professional if it doesn't subside. Eating schedule on its own shouldn't affect hair unless there is something else like nutrient deficiencies, too few calories (1-1.5 lbs a week can still be too few calories if you don't have much to lose), or IF being stressful.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,372 MFP Moderator
    Based on my rate of weight loss I don't believe I am under eating. I work hard to make sure I meet the protein goal set by MFP and I eat plenty of fat too. I only do 20 minutes on the bike if I do exercise and otherwise I'm pretty sedentary. I do take a multivitamin and lately a hair and nails vitamin. I've never been anemic in fact my doctor usually comments that my iron is very good. Nothing has really changed with my period so I'm feeling pretty good that nothing has changed with the iron since my last labs in Feb. I just don't know. Maybe I'll just have to give it a little more time and experiment.luckily for me I have thick hair and while I can definitely feel that it is thinner, it still looks normal. Maybe I can figure it out before I have to buy a wig! Thanks for the words of encouragement that it's probably not the IF!

What's your protein goal?
  • joyanna2016
    psuLemon wrote: »

What's your protein goal?

60 grams