Low fat supernoodles question

Options
I'm not a fan of supernoodles. But I have some in the cupboard that need using up. Now, I noticed that the regular ones are about 450 claories for teh packet, whereas the low-fat ones are about 300 calories per pack. Is that a change in the actual noodles? Or is this difference in the flavouring sachet? If I discard the flavour pack does that alter the calorie count by much?

Replies

• AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I think you're right, it's unlikely that they would / could make the noodles different (unless there's fewer of them) but if the flavouring sachet in the 450 version had an extra tbsp.of fat in it, that could account for 120 cals alone.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I think it depends what the flavouring is.

I would go without the sachet and just log it as-is calorie-wise, anyway, mostly because the flavouring sachets have MSG in them and the noodles themselves taste better with some sweet chilli sauce or some low-sodium soy sauce.
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid it's the noodles.

The regular ones have oil in the actual noodles, it's pretty high on the ingredients list.

this is the regular ingredients list:
    Noodles (Water, Wheat Flour, Palm Oil, Antioxidants (Butylated Hydroxyanisole, Citric Acid, Propyl Gallate)),Glucose Syrup ,Flavour Enhancers (Potassium Chloride, Monosodium Glutamate, Disodium 5' -Guanylate, Disodium 5' -Inosinate) ,Salt ,Flavourings (contain Milk) ,Onion ,Garlic ,Colour (Turmeric) ,Parsley ,Vegetable Fat (Palm) ,Stabiliser (Sodium Phosphates) ,Sugar ,Celery ,Wheat Flour ,Milk Protein

this is the low fat one:
    Noodles (Wheat Flour, Durum Wheat Semolina),Flavour Enhancers (Monosodium Glutamate, Disodium 5'-Ribonucleotides) ,Sugar ,Flavouring (contains Wheat) ,Onion Powder ,Yeast Extract ,Salt ,Garlic Powder ,Mineral Concentrate (Milk) ,Ground Sage ,Ground Turmeric ,Acidity Regulators (Malic Acid, Citric Acid) ,Herbs ,Rapeseed Oil ,Black Pepper Extract ,Celery ,Wheat Flour ,Milk Powder

Looks like there's some difference in the flavourings too - (glucose syrup?) but the noodles are different. If you eat them, you will be able to tell they are less sticky and gooey.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Thanks Athena, very helpful!
  • TRD66
    TRD66 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Excellent.

Found these in the supermarket yesterday and was wondering what made them 'low fat'. Hadn't had time to check out the info.

I like them as an easy, quick snack when I've some calories to use up.
  • Spaceechik
    Spaceechik Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just to mention, palm oil is high in saturated fat; not something that's good for the arteries over the long haul.
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    As I say, not something I'd buy or eat very often - leftover when my daughter went to Uni, and I'm trying to find alternatives to binning them!
  • Spaceechik
    Spaceechik Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My diabetic nurse/nutritionist is after me to drop the sodium -- now I have to get over the guilts and see if someone else would like the ramen and ready noodles I have around. Don't know if a food bank would take them. I *do* know some college students...what do you think?
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    I'm not sure shat dukes food banks have- our local ones take most things as long as they are in date.
  • tigerlily_
    tigerlily_ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I swear the low fat ones come in a smaller portion too. They're definitely not as tasty as the delicious chemical-salt-and-fat-filled regular Supernoodles. Mmmmm.