Lockdown blues

Options
Is anyone else just feeling really fed up?

I know there are probably many posts on here like this but please bear with me as I just need to vent a bit. I am feeling so down right now. My wedding was cancelled back in April because of Covid and things have just been really difficult since then, work has changed, life has changed. I have put on about 7lbs which, in some ways, doesn't seem to bad, but seems massive to me when I already had quite a bit to lose. I am obese according to BMI and I would like to get pregnant soon but am worried that my weight will make this really hard. Also seeing things in the news about Covid and the effect of being overweight is getting me down too.

I know I need to get on top of this, and I did have my first gym session today which I really enjoyed. I am back on here for the umpteenth time which I guess is also a good start. But I just feel like I've failed at this so many times now I am struggling so much with self belief. I feel unmotivated and like this is something I 'have' to do but will drag my feet whilst I do it...

I don't know what I need to hear or what I am expecting... I guess I just want to vent and say... this is feeling really difficult right now! :(

xxx

Replies

• thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Life is really hard at the moment - anyone who says they've found lockdown easy is lying! Sure, there are some silver linings, but there's also been some really awful things happening, so you really are not alone in feeling down.

First up, can I offer my congratulations on your upcoming wedding? Doesn't matter when it is, the fact remains that you've found someone wonderful who you want to spend your life with, and that totally deserves a congratulations.

I put on exactly 7lb during lockdown too, before deciding enough was enough too. I have now re-lost that 7lb, plus just over another stone. So, it is possible.

You have some great motivations for getting your weight down - to reduce your risk of Covid complications and to get in better shape for a pregnancy - and those motivations can fuel a change.

My advice to you is to take a deep breath, close your eyes and think about why you want to lose weight. Really think about it. You want to have those reasons clear in your mind, and you want to be sure you're doing them for you. I'm sure our partner probably is just as excited about you trying to get pregnant soon, but let's focus on you and what you want. You want to get your BMI down. You want to have a baby. When it comes to the weight loss journey, you have to put you first, and this is part of that.

Can I suggest you don't consider previous attempts as failures, and more as experience? You're starting this journey now with knowledge of what things don't work for you. You know what foods make you fall off the wagon, you know how far you can cut your calories before you go mad. You know what healthy foods you do/don't like. All of that knowledge is going to help you now. Compare yourself to someone starting from scratch absolutely cold - they have to learn all of that, whereas you already know it!

Sure, it wasn't perfect (otherwise you would have kept the weight off), but it's a good starting point. Think about what did/didn't work last time and make some tweaks. And then keep making changes until you've arrived at a sustainable lifestyle that works for you.

By posting here, you've clearly decided you want a change. So you know what? I believe in you. I believe you can make that change, even if you don't truly believe it yet.

Chin up, lass - this is your turning point. It only gets better from here.
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss - that is amazing! and thank you for the very thoughtful reply. It's just what I needed to hear.

You are right about the knowledge and experience gained from previous attempts. I know what works - it's just a case of doing it. Thank you so much for the kind words and belief - I am in a much better place today and have just got back from my second gym trip :) Your words really helped!
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    @spyro88 I'm so glad to hear you're doing better. And well done on getting back to the gym, that definitely shows commitment and willpower. You're going to be brilliant! :)
  • dewit
    dewit Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    While at home, throw in a short video workout when you feel like munching. You'll burn instead of eat those cals, will boost energy and feel positive. As a consequence, there might be less comfort eating after the workout and will even earn a snack later in the day. 😉

Come with plan B for your wedding, once the lockdown eases. Less ppl and stricter hygiene, but you can still let it happen and make it your unique&lovely day ⚘.