FOOD!

Options
I have seen so many "diets" in so many adverts.
Celebrities banging on about paleo this, low carb that or less fat the other.
After looking into countless "plans" I have come to the conclusion that it is all so much guff!
I believe that my goal should not rule out any of the awesome foods that I know and love (I'm looking at you Devon cream teas) but that I should merely control the amount that I consume of these delicious meals.
Is it not more beneficial to teach yourself (and your stomach) portion control and condition your body to this so that the desires for these foods are manageable and no longer pose a problem?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Some people find a more structured plan to be helpful either long-term or for a season of their lives. But for those of us who don't find them helpful, I don't see a good reason to do them.

I will say that sometimes a structured plan can be good for thinking about different ways to think about food or new ways to try food, even if you decide not to stick with it. For example, it's been years since I've done South Beach, but I still eat some of the recipes that I discovered via the plan. I no longer try to eat raw vegan (that was a short couple of weeks!), but I still make some recipes that I tried from that period and it played a big role in altering some of the judgments I had about food and proper meals. So from that perspective, I would say I'm someone who loves to read about different diet styles and thinking about what they might bring to my life, but I'm skeptical about the need for me to adhere strictly to anything besides trying to generally balance my calories in/calories out.

I don't think we can say that it's "better" universally for us to train ourselves on portion control. There are some people who genuinely seem to do better when they strictly limit/eliminate certain foods. But I would say that if you feel like it's better for YOU to learn to exercise portion control (instead of eliminating foods), then you're probably right.

The more I read about long-term maintainers, the less I believe there is a single right way to lose weight and maintain the loss. There are things are I believe are more successful for a larger percentage of people . . . but there are still going to be people who are outside that majority. I think paying attention to what you want, how you can see yourself living, and what makes your life feel easiest is important.
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    You sound like you would like flexible dieting. The IIFYM (If it fits your macros) might be worthwhile for you to look up. No food is ruled out, you eat in such a way to make allowances( calorie and macro wise) for your food choices. So the diet teaches you to be aware of the effect of your food choices on calories and macros. Remember that the best diet is the one that you can stick to. Hope this option helps you.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    CICO is all that matters in the end. If you wanted to eat 1500 calories of cupcakes a day, as long as that’s a deficit for you, you can do that. It’s not a healthy option, but it’s an option.

I’m a big fan of sustainable eating. I can’t stick to it if it doesn’t include the foods I already want to eat. 😊
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,590 Member
    Options
    fstrickl wrote: »
    🤦🏻‍♀️ Next time I’m on a soap box I’m promise I’ll use spell check.

ROFLMAO! I had to reread your post to see where you went wrong. It's pretty hidden!

OP, you are wise for one so young. (In number of posts.)