How do I maintain weight after weight loss?

jdunn4230
jdunn4230 Posts: 10 Member
edited July 2020 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
Hi, I’ve lost 4 stone in lockdown by walking 20,000 steps a day and eating 1,200 calories. I’m happy with my weight now but how do I know how many calories I should be eating a day to maintain my weight? Thanks

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    A lot!!

With such an excessive deficit you are going to have to increase your calorie massively.
    Setting your goal to "Maintain Current Weight" and with the highest activity level may well just be the start from which to make manual adjustments over an extended period.

It's going to take time so make sure you track your trend weight and ignore fluctuations.
  • jdunn4230
    Thanks
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,875 Member
    I’ve found that over time, it becomes very apparent ie the balance between your exercise & your calories eaten. Just never give up. Each month, you will have more data to rely upon.

DO set a maintenance Range - not a single number.

Expect an uptick in weight as you carry more food in digestive track..

Finally, small changes yield results so decide on a number of calories to add, and then do that for a month, like a scientist, and see what your monthly change in wt was. Then adjust for another month & check.

Congratulations on a terrific accomplishment.
  • jdunn4230
    Thanks 😊
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    I entered maintenance in May and have been trying to figure out a lot of the same things, but what @gallicinvasion posted is pretty right on the money.

One thing I've been doing is keeping a spreadsheet with my daily weight and daily calories logged (I'm still logging every day, except my 10 day vacation I just had!). I use it to track my averages, not daily fluctuations. I use my weekly weight and calorie averages as a guide, as well as the month-to-month figures to see trends and whatnot. So if I'm losing week to week, I can adjust my calories or have that big dinner out that week, whatever. If I eat out too much and start creeping I can back down the next week and adjust. Basically, I'm kind of adjusting on the fly from week to week. It's honestly more art than it is science. It has taken me a few months though to really get out of the mindset that I'm NOT supposed to see the scale go down and to just hang in a certain range. You have to really give yourself that time to mentally and emotionally shift expectations.

I would also recommend that as you get close to your goal weight you start to shift into maintenance before you get there. Most folks still lose a bit for a while even in maintenance until they get a good grasp on their true calorie goal. I spent a good month trying to figure that out and still lost a few pounds in the process.

Good luck!
  • joyneville253
    joyneville253 Posts: 59 Member
    Ive lost 137 lbs and to maintain u should reset ur mfp to maintenance put in ur height, weight ect.. U should def up ur calories some😘btw great job loossing 👏❤
  • meharmahshahid
    meharmahshahid Posts: 107 Member
    I wanted to ask how did you carry on eating 1200 calories without hitting a plateau, if you have any tips to share. Also, could you mention your height and weight? Thanks!!!! Just looking for advice!
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    Most of the advice here is good, but I'd like to add - if you are eating 1200 calories a day currently, and that's not under the direct advice of a doctor because of a diagnosed condition, you've been starving yourself. Be very careful not to panic if the scale fluctuates while you return to a more sustainable eating pattern.

The 1200 minimum figure is just to ensure you are eating enough food to get sufficient nutrients and has nothing to do with your deficit. So it is the minimum before exercise calories, not after.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,116 Member
    Interesting that the original poster seems to have removed their profile.