Vegetarian/Lowering meat intake

2»

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    I have done every diet, eating plan and fad or lifestyle there is. A WFPB and vegan is by FAR the best I have ever felt! First, the need for protein is WAY over emphasized and misunderstood. However if you are concerned I would definately research China Study and look for REAL SCIENCE, NOT what is advertised. Anyway for protein add lots of dark leafy greens, tempeh, tofu, lentils, hemp seeds and protein and sea greens.

There is a network called Food Revolution Network. You may want to check it out 🙂

The two leading protein metabolism researchers in the world would significantly disagree with you. If you want to know actual research on proteins, look at the works from Dr. Stuart Phillips (#1) and Dr. Brad Schoenfeld (#2). They are referenced more than any other researchers when it comes to protein requirements. Both also agree on the inferiority of plant based proteins due to the low L-Luecine contents.

Btw, the recommended range from these guys are 1.5-2.2g/lb. Lower end when you are maintaining weight or obese. Higher as you get leaner or are more active.

1.5 - 2.2 grams per pound? Or per kg?
  • kscullion823
    kscullion823 Posts: 3 Member
    Not sure if anyone mentioned these two videos forks over knives (and their website) and eating you alive. I changed to plant based whole food and for the first time have lost the apple shape I’ve had since 25 eating as much as I feel like including all the whole food carbs to make me feel full and my energy is thru the roof. I feel so much better then before and my cholesterol and prediabetes issues are gone. Did you know many top athletes are now also Vegan - like the strongest man alive, several of the olympians and CrossFit champions. Best thing I ever did and my blood work backs it up. Wish you luck.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    kpk54 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    I have done every diet, eating plan and fad or lifestyle there is. A WFPB and vegan is by FAR the best I have ever felt! First, the need for protein is WAY over emphasized and misunderstood. However if you are concerned I would definately research China Study and look for REAL SCIENCE, NOT what is advertised. Anyway for protein add lots of dark leafy greens, tempeh, tofu, lentils, hemp seeds and protein and sea greens.

There is a network called Food Revolution Network. You may want to check it out 🙂

The two leading protein metabolism researchers in the world would significantly disagree with you. If you want to know actual research on proteins, look at the works from Dr. Stuart Phillips (#1) and Dr. Brad Schoenfeld (#2). They are referenced more than any other researchers when it comes to protein requirements. Both also agree on the inferiority of plant based proteins due to the low L-Luecine contents.

Btw, the recommended range from these guys are 1.5-2.2g/lb. Lower end when you are maintaining weight or obese. Higher as you get leaner or are more active.

1.5 - 2.2 grams per pound? Or per kg?

Kg. Good catch
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    Not sure if anyone mentioned these two videos forks over knives (and their website) and eating you alive. I changed to plant based whole food and for the first time have lost the apple shape I’ve had since 25 eating as much as I feel like including all the whole food carbs to make me feel full and my energy is thru the roof. I feel so much better then before and my cholesterol and prediabetes issues are gone. Did you know many top athletes are now also Vegan - like the strongest man alive, several of the olympians and CrossFit champions. Best thing I ever did and my blood work backs it up. Wish you luck.

I believe the majority they jumped on the bandwagon are coming off from their performance being impacted. But it would depend on which particular ones you are talking about.