I got adult braces!! :D

Options
Hey guys!
Haven’t been on here for ages! Just wanted to say hi and say I got adult braces...so I’ve lost a good 3-4lb in a week from all the soft foods
But I’ve lost a stone now! And managed to fit into a pair of trousers I didn’t fit into before!

Good luck everyone on your weight loss journey! :D xx

Replies

• ONUnicorn
    ONUnicorn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had adult braces a few years ago. I don't envy you the experience.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    My daughter had a similar experience. I can't remember the "diet" she was able to eat afterwards, I know she was incredibly fearful of "foods" getting stuck in the bracing causing permanent tracks where they had been. Her meticulous brushing etc have prevented that.
  • Nanners227
    Nanners227 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I recently got Invisalign. No more snaking throughout my day. It’s almost like I’ll be the lowest weight in my adult life for the next two years lol
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Way to go taking care of yourself! Hope you will get on with your braces as best possible, I understand it can be challenging so all the more impressive that you’re giving yourself the gift of dental care.
  • Lildarlinz
    Lildarlinz Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    ONUnicorn wrote: »
    I had adult braces a few years ago. I don't envy you the experience.

Thank u :) they aren’t as bad as I thought...I thought I would be in a lot more pain...maybe I will after tightening but it’s more annoying than painful xx

• Lildarlinz
    Options
    Way to go taking care of yourself! Hope you will get on with your braces as best possible, I understand it can be challenging so all the more impressive that you’re giving yourself the gift of dental care.
    Thank u squirrel :)
    Looking forward to the end result...which seems far away haha! Xx
  • Lildarlinz
    Options
    Nanners227 wrote: »
    I can relate. I recently got Invisalign. No more snaking throughout my day. It’s almost like I’ll be the lowest weight in my adult life for the next two years lol
    I was meant to have Invisalign...but I thought If I took them out, I wouldn’t have had the willpower to put them back in.Haha!!
    Other than that I needed to fix my overbite and Invisalign can only fix minor overbites where as mine is quite big...
    Good luck in your Invisalign journey! :) hope it’s not too painful for you x mines more annoying than anything xx
  • Lildarlinz
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    My daughter had a similar experience. I can't remember the "diet" she was able to eat afterwards, I know she was incredibly fearful of "foods" getting stuck in the bracing causing permanent tracks where they had been. Her meticulous brushing etc have prevented that.
    Thank you fuzzi! Yes the brushing is annoying..especially if I’m at work or out and about..trip to the bathroom to brush as I’m self conscious about things being stuck in mine too xx
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Best thing I ever did. Had train tracks as a teen but they didn't press the need for retainers and my teeth moved when my wisdom teeth came in. You do have to watch the food getting stuck. Also flossing is impossible, which bothered me, but I got a water pik which helped a good deal.
  • dr_mundo
    dr_mundo Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Health is what matters the most and keep going strong! You have my support!
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    PGKY wrote: »
    I've had mine for two and a half years now, they haven't been adjusted since February due to Covid. :(

I'm still glad I've got them, my teeth were mostly very straight but I had an impacted canine next to my palate and almost horizontal in position (completely hidden, unerupted), they had trouble finding it in surgery. My mouth looks so much better now that I have it in place (it looked like a small gap before). I hope orthodontics return soon, I only had a couple months of treatment left, would probably be having them removed right about now.

I had an impacted canine as well! It destroyed the root of the lateral incisor next to it, and so I had to have all my teeth shifted to hide it (or opt for an implant). Now long after my braces, my teeth have gravitated toward that gap. I need braces again. In hindsight, an implant may or may not have been a better option.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for two and a half years now, they haven't been adjusted since February due to Covid. :(

I'm still glad I've got them, my teeth were mostly very straight but I had an impacted canine next to my palate and almost horizontal in position (completely hidden, unerupted), they had trouble finding it in surgery. My mouth looks so much better now that I have it in place (it looked like a small gap before). I hope orthodontics return soon, I only had a couple months of treatment left, would probably be having them removed right about now.

I had an impacted canine as well! It destroyed the root of the lateral incisor next to it, and so I had to have all my teeth shifted to hide it (or opt for an implant). Now long after my braces, my teeth have gravitated toward that gap. I need braces again. In hindsight, an implant may or may not have been a better option.

Wow, it's sad impacted teeth can be so destructive! I was warned it could eventually absorb the root of nearby teeth and that leaving it in place could be dangerous because of this, at the time I couldn't afford braces and went as far as scheduling a date for removal surgery, but canceled it last minute when I was having second thoughts and a trip came up for the same weekend. I left it untouched for maybe 7 years until I could get the braces to pull it down (there was first a surgery to expose it and attach a small metal button to it from which it could be pulled).

One of the things they told me that made me want to lean towards lowering it with braces was that canines have big roots that play a role in shaping your face, it might not make a big difference to not have it while you are young but eventually things will sort of sink in the space it should be. I don't know how true this is or isn't, but it sounded scary. My gums had really thinned out in the place where the canine should have been but wasn't. Only now after two years I'm very slowly seeing improvement in this front, but it's kinda see-through, it looks white, I can see the root of my canine through it.

It's genetic, my aunt had 6 impacted teeth. We were low income growing up, and there wasn't any state or federal children's insurance. We didn't get very many dental checkups. My impacted tooth wasn't noticed until my grandparents funded braces for us in high school, by then the root was gone.

I guess my face may just be uneven because it was one side not both. Maybe that is why they drug all the other teeth over, it isn't a gap, the teeth just kinda lean that way.