Plateau misery - tips, thoughts, understanding?

Options
It's that too-familiar stage...you're active, staying within your allotted calories on MFP and the scale doesn't budge. I know there are many non-scale victories (hopefully coming my way) but just wanted to vent that it's frustrating. And instead of tuna, I'd really rather have pita chips for lunch. But I won't...because luckily I don't keep pita chips in my house. :smile: Please add me if you get this, or are in a similar situation.

Replies

• nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    If it has been less than 4-6 weeks since a loss on the scales, don't panic. You can do everything 'right' and the scale will still not go down some weeks. Try to have patience, and keep going. Eventually the scale will catch up. And if you want some pita chips, budget for them. Carve out 100-150 calories for some along with the tuna. On the other hand, if you don't think you can stop yourself at a small amount, do as you think best and keep them out of the house. :)

I do get the frustration. I can go ages (or so it seems) before the scale shows me a new low weight. Nothing to do but keep going. Fortunately I did get a new 'low' today. But it may be days/weeks before another. The body is an annoying thing at times! Overall though, I know I'm better off than I was a month ago so I hold onto that victory when the scale is not cooperating.
  • wellnessmoi
    wellnessmoi Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Really helpful, thank you. Yes, it's been much less than 4-6 weeks....so, I'll just keep at it. Started my day off with a new breakfast and will try to incorporate some changes in my workouts too. It's nice to talk to people who understand the frustration, as I don't have many people in my life who either need to lose weight or are working on it. Let's keep in touch, it's good for me to surround myself with successful people! :)
  • HonestBuddha
    HonestBuddha Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the same thing after losing 16 pounds in my first month. Now I'm stuck. Everything I'm reading says I need to shake up calories and especially ramp up my exercise in order for my body to not think we're okay at this level.

I've heard to take a week off and eat whatever you want that week, and then start up on dieting again. Others say if you're staying around 1500 calories to lessen that by 10-20% and do higher intensity workouts.

I've decided to try Intermittent fasting for a week to see how that goes. Only eating between 9 am and stopping at 5 pm. Then exercising on my bike. I hope that next Sunday when I weigh the scale has moved!
  • nanastaci2020
    Options
    Yes, having people who know what you're dealing with: very helpful!
    Really helpful, thank you. Yes, it's been much less than 4-6 weeks....so, I'll just keep at it. Started my day off with a new breakfast and will try to incorporate some changes in my workouts too. It's nice to talk to people who understand the frustration, as I don't have many people in my life who either need to lose weight or are working on it. Let's keep in touch, it's good for me to surround myself with successful people! :)

• nanastaci2020
    Options
    Try having patience. I think in your post, you indicated this period of being 'stuck' is pretty short? You don't need to change things after 1-2 weeks. Or even after 3-4. If you change too often, you'll drive yourself mad AND it will make it hard to know what is or is not working.

Frame of mind: are you better off now than you were a month ago? Either according to the scale, or based on changes you've made that have positive impacts in other areas of your life? If you can honestly say 'NO' to that question then sure - make changes. But if you can see progress in one or more ways: keep going as you are. When you reach a point where that 1-month-look back is NOT a positive, then re-evaluate.

I'm going through the same thing after losing 16 pounds in my first month. Now I'm stuck. Everything I'm reading says I need to shake up calories and especially ramp up my exercise in order for my body to not think we're okay at this level.

I've heard to take a week off and eat whatever you want that week, and then start up on dieting again. Others say if you're staying around 1500 calories to lessen that by 10-20% and do higher intensity workouts.

I've decided to try Intermittent fasting for a week to see how that goes. Only eating between 9 am and stopping at 5 pm. Then exercising on my bike. I hope that next Sunday when I weigh the scale has moved!