Lifting heavy - what weights/equipment from home? (female)

Options
Hi, im a 29yo fem from the UK. I'm 5ft 1 and 97lbs (6st 13lbs)

. I'm eating about 2500cals daily to help gain weight but I also want to gain muscle.( have muscle definition in my abs etc)

I've seen people say you need to lift heavy in getting the results. I'm just wondering if you can help me with what equipment/ weights to buy so I can do it from home?

(I've NEVER lifted before not done much excercise either!) :O

Thanks.

Replies

• ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options

. I'm eating about 2500cals daily to help gain weight but I also want to gain muscle.( have muscle definition in my abs etc)

I've seen people say you need to lift heavy in getting the results. I'm just wondering if you can help me with what equipment/ weights to buy so I can do it from home?

Thanks.

Ideally?

Barbell + lots of weight
    Bench
    Squat rack

realistically that is all you need to build a good physique, despite what anyone tells you
  • tpncc
    tpncc Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    misxkx,

Do yourself a favor and spend 6 months to a year going to a gym, assuming there is one fairly close to you. Buying the weights for home is a waste of money if you don't know how to use them. Learn from experienced lifters and employ the routines that will work for you.

Lifting heavy also means lifting more after a ramp-up period so you will be constantly buying more weights. Most gyms offer a new member a comp session with a trainer and some offer nutritionist information as well.

If you don't like the gym idea, read (web search) body-weight exercises. Pull-ups, push-ups, planks, etc. You can build a strong body and improve your health without lifting a single weight. Then if you want to start lifting heavy, buy a set of 3, 5 and 10 pound dumbbells. You can perform a hundred exercises with dumbbells.

Hope this helps.
  • ny2298pdsgt
    ny2298pdsgt Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    if you've never done any lifting/real work outs, DO NOT try to start heavy right away. Take the advise of @tpncc and learn from others and find what you like before spending a lot of money. If there is no gym near you, then maybe just a few semi-light dumb bells or maybe a weighted vest to do squats and weighted push-ups or pull-ups. Dont go over board on spending money until you really get into it.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

Ideally?

Barbell + lots of weight
    Bench
    Squat rack

realistically that is all you need to build a good physique, despite what anyone tells you

I'd agree with this, perhaps throw in a pull-up bar. I also have some adjustable dumbbells.

In terms of how much weight to buy, an Olympic bar with weight amounting to around 1.5 x bodyweight would be a good place to start, then you can always add more plates later. It'd be worth checking out Craigslist / Gumtree as there are often second hand deals to be found.
  • ctinawilson
    ctinawilson Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I agree about going to a gym for a while to get some advice / training in weight lifting - i am by no means an expert now, but I know enough having had advice on form from professionals to get by on my own - however even now, there are lifts i wont do at home without speaking to an expert first.

Having said that, once you have the knowledge and you're confident with your form, you can do free weights / kettle bells / bodyweight exercises at home with relatively little equipment (the dumbbells / kettlebells you'll need of course :))

Could I suggest you start with bodyweight exercise if you're intent on working out at home? There are hundreds of options. (Have a look at You Are Your Own Gym or Convict Conditioning) When I started doing bodyweight, I couldn't do a proper push up. You can advance slowly, improve your form before you use weights and really learn what you're capable of. Getting that level of strength was a great foundation for lifting - at least for me.

Good luck!!!
  • ctinawilson
    ctinawilson Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Ps. I'm 5'3 - 120lbs, so not too far from you stats wise, feel free to add me!

Christina
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Before you buy anything you should start reading up on compound lifts. Starting Strength is an informative book and has a great starter program. Also, look up these lifts on youtube for form.

I agree to an extent about going to a gym first before buying your own equipment. The gym will allow you to see if you like it enough to make the investment for your own equipment. If you happen to get some one on one time with a trainer make sure you are clear about your heavy lifting intentions, otherwise they'll have you lifting 5# weights for 10000 reps.

I have a gym in my garage. I have a squat rack, bench, barbell, and 435# of olympic plates. I use it all. the. time. I got some of it from Amazon and some from Craigslist (I know you're across the pond, so I'm not sure where you can get it cheap) As far as fitness goes, it was the best thing I ever spent money on.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same position as you myself and just started going to strength training classes that are on in my area for women showing us proper technique and stuff which I am finding extremely useful as I have wanted to lift for such a long time but just did not no where to start, classes may not be on near you but if there is any in your local gym i'd really recommend it.

However, also interested now in training from home myself, i was given advice that dumbells and bench is a good place to start with possibly getting a barbell in the future. Also like others have suggested there is lots of sites around here with good bodyweight exercises for beginning using dumbells as well...nerdfitness.com, fitnessblender are two i've heard of quite a bit i'm sure there is many more.

Best of luck with it, i'm hoping to do the same. :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    What I have done is to get stuff from my garage, like Rubbermaid tubs full of file folders or my husband's tools, and then weigh them. It's far from ideal, but it's something until I get a gym membership or a home weight set.

Also, regarding form, you can go to Stronglifts or YouTube and view videos on form. The Stronglifts site is excellent: http://stronglifts.com/
  • missxkx
    missxkx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies.

I would love to go to the gym but it's quite abit away and I'm a single mam and have my daughter 24/7 as don't have family close by.

I might just hold off until next year when my daughter starts nursery. I have 2.5kg dumbbells so might just do exercising with them until then.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Do you need to gain weight? I'm 5'2" and when I was in my 20s and 30s I was in the low 90s. I understand that people carry weight differently, but make sure your goal is based on your needs and not some chart.

As for strength training at home, you can use use dumbbells, body bars (they have lighter ones for women), bars that can have weights added and if you don't want to buy a bench you can use an exercise ball.

Make sure you learn the correct form. There are many sites but one I like is bodybuilding.com. It has videos of men and women doing the same exercise and there are written instructions.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options

Thanks.

Ideally?

Barbell + lots of weight
    Bench
    Squat rack

^THIS
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I have 2.5kg dumbbells so might just do exercising with them until then.

I see that's about 5.5 pounds. They will probably be too light for many exercises soon. But you can always try adding reps and sets until you buy heavier weights.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options

Thanks.

Ideally?

Barbell + lots of weight
    Bench
    Squat rack

^ this is what I have. I also have a few dumbbells - 10, 15, 20, 25, a box/step and a exercise ball.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Go buy the book Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training. Here's a link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Starting-Strength-Basic-Barbell-Training/dp/0982522738/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377182918&sr=8-1&keywords=starting+strength

Everything you need to know to get started on a heavy lifting routine. Getting help from people is definitely nice, but the author goes into excruciating detail on the form for five major lifts that are all you need as a beginner. You can also ask questions about form here (look for the eat, train, progress group) or there are forums for the starting strength book at startingstrength.com

As to equipment, a power rack, bench and olympic weight set are all you need to get started. New that will probably run you just under $1000 in the states, not sure how prices vary in the U.K, but you can often find really good deals on used equipment. I put together my home gym for well under $500. The power rack will be the most expensive piece of equipment, and the hardest to find used.
  • sianquin
    sianquin Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    We do have some weights at home and a bench but i rarely use them. When we got them i started seeing a personal trainer as i felt i might hurt myself not knowing what i'm doing. I now relise i will never bush myself as far as he pushes me so i've kept going. I do weights with him and mostly cardio at the gym.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK, too. This is my bare-minimum home weight room.

1013374_10151415234670964_2114865645_n.jpg

Barbell & 140kg of plates, a set of bodylastics and a small set of vinyl dumbbells for shoulder prehab (lovely clicking in the shoulder joint - not necessary to own), flat bench, squat rack with pull-up bar, a couple of mats and a foam roller.

This room is literally 7x7", so as you can see you don't even need that much space. Empty garage would be perfect. I get everything done in there that I need to do. Squat, bench, deadlift, military press, BB rows, pull-ups & chin-ups.

PERSONALLY, had I thought about it a bit longer I'd have bought a half-rack (Bodymax CF470 half rack, Powerhouse Fitness) instead of this one, but it'll take the weight I have and then some so it's fine.
  • CatMou5
    CatMou5 Posts: 12
    Options
    Get a copy of THE NEW RULES OF LIFTING FOR WOMEN. It's a fantastic book that explains everything you need to know.
  • 1wweightloss
    Options
    Tribesports is the home of sportspeople and sports challenges. All of my female clients participate in weight lifting, and many of them squat over. Once you start lifting heavier weights, getting stronger.

To work out at home without traditional equipment such as dumbbells or barbells. This adds additional weight to the exercise, making it a strength training and you'll have a greater ability to do simple tasks, such as lifting heavy boxes.