Discrimination... still eating at me!!!

OK I'm still not over this and I'm not as mad as I was, I'm trying to find a "professional" way to deal with this situation, but can't find or get a hold of anyone!!! (Bit of a rant)

Tuesday I was at the beach most of the day, we were running late to a move which was at the mall so my husband just said well why don't we just go run in Aeropostle and get you something? Which by the way we have a TON of aeropostle clothes, boxers, jeans, sweats, and shirts. We go in, and I only found 1 pair of size 12's. I asked the associate where are all of your 12's at? I don't care what they look like, but the only one's I found were the most expensive pair, I'm just trying to grab something so I am not freezing in the movie theatre with just my dress and wet bathing suit top on. The employee said she will check the back, never did. At this point I'm looking all over the store and only see sizes 00-10, which I thought was weird, so I tried on 10's since I have a couple pairs of 11's, thinking I know it's wishful thinking but maybe? Nope, then I started to become a little upset so I had to grab sweat pants, which was completely embarrassing.

The lady asked if I found everything, and I told her no I couldn't find any jeans in a size 12 except for ONE PAIR in the whole entire store, she just said OK well your total is "insert here". So I was upset, and felt ignored even when I went into the fitting room I asked if they could open the door, 2 EMPLOYEES, just brushed me off and walked away and no they weren't busy. So when we were starting to leave I went back in and asked if there was a manager or a number I could call to ask about their size selection and put in a suggestion. The associate looks at me and says (with a sarcastic attitude), "Umm well for "extended sizes" you have to go online now", I was so upset like why couldn't they put a sign up or tell me in the first place?, so I literally just shook my head and my hand, and started to walk away again (yes I felt like I was starting to cry). The employee then yelled loudly at me "It's not like were trying to hide them from you!!!!", I was shocked and just said I will be sure to call your corporate office!!!

I never gave these girls attitude, and I have never been treated this way, it is so upsetting and I am trying to let it go but it just frustrates me...My husband went back in and gave her a polite "bishing" of a lifetime, and before he was rude to her she was still being horrible with him. We love shopping there, but now I won't go back in...and by the way when did a 12 become an "extended size"???

HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THIS? wHAT DID YOU DO? HOW DID YOU HANDLE IT? Back in the day I would've been destructive, but I'm just trying to handle it appropriately and not let it get me down, I just had to rant! (Sorry!)

Replies

• Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot you can do about that. People will be snobbish if given a reason to, and when you're dealing with retail employees, it's not uncommon for them to hate their jobs and not give a flying *bleep*. Also, there's no regulation for measurements that can be labelled "extended" or "plus," so it's entirely arbitrary and up to the store and manufacturer. Sizing itself is also arbitrary and unregulated, and varies between manufacturer, company and line.

Yes, I've experienced it. I simply keep a list of the brands which I feel are exclusionary or unreasonable and choose not to support them with my business regardless of what size I am. That's kind of the beauty of capitalism - you speak with your money, so if a businesses employees treat me terribly and I don't think it's typical of the attitude of the company, I either stop shopping there, or contact the manager and let them know how their employees are treating their customers. IF this is different to how you've been treated by employees of this company in the past, it might be a good idea to contact the manager of that location and let him or her know how those employees represented their company.

It's not up to the customer to automatically know the store's policies. It's the store's responsibility to make their policies known to the customers. That's why they're called "their" policies. (yes, I've lectured a bratty employee or two and put them in their place)
  • That must have been awful for you, and it will take a little while for those feelings and sense of injustice to pass. I would write a letter to their head office expressing your feelings. Then put it away until the next day and re-write it taking out the raw emotion and so it does become a more 'professional' response. The head honchos need to know their staff are losing the company customers by their attitude. Are the company on facebook or twitter? I would make a comment - especially on FB. Companies don't like unhappy customers advertising their unhappiness on social media so you may get a quicker response. Good luck
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Bad customer service really sucks and if you play your cards right the incident will back-fire on the shop assistants or the corporation generally. Be sure you submit a formal written complaint to the company's head office. If the company is serious about remaining profitable they might just give their employees a lesson they may never forget. And if they don't, then don't think you're the only one being subject to poor customer service and that will translate to a lot of bad publicity via word of mouth.
    Wishing you all the best,

Ben
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot you can do about that. People will be snobbish if given a reason to, and when you're dealing with retail employees, it's not uncommon for them to hate their jobs and not give a flying *bleep*.

This!

I get it A LOT. When ever I'm going into the surf store (when I'm looking for my partner or my kids). I get the 'look' of 'oh, nothing in here will fit you so we won't ask if you need help'. Even when I'm standing in the store looking around aimlessly for ages!

I also get it in a dept store here which is slightly more upper market (but not that much but I guess the sales assistance think it is!!) & because I don't get dressed up, make up etc. to go to my local mall to have a shop they then think I must not have money. They watch me like a hawk, like I'm going to steal something & give me attitude. HATE THEM. But they have good kids clothes :laugh:
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    I would definitely send a letter of complaint, that is a disugsting way to be treated. And as another poster suggested, if they have FB or Twitter leave a complaint on there as other customers will see this so the company may be more likely to do something about it.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Urgh, I hate when I get treated like that in a store. I've worked in retail myself and despite my mood or feelings about my job I have never once understood how anyone can treat another human being that they dont know in that way.

When I've been in those situations myself I've always taken it higher, called if emailed their customer service line. The majority of stores take their customer service very seriously and always deal with it. I've been given free stuff or money off most times.

Bad customer service really annoys me!
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Urgh, I hate when I get treated like that in a store. I've worked in retail myself and despite my mood or feelings about my job I have never once understood how anyone can treat another human being that they dont know in that way.

When I've been in those situations myself I've always taken it higher, called if emailed their customer service line. The majority of stores take their customer service very seriously and always deal with it. I've been given free stuff or money off most times.

Bad customer service really annoys me!

OH YEAH! Agree.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    That must have been awful for you, and it will take a little while for those feelings and sense of injustice to pass. I would write a letter to their head office expressing your feelings. Then put it away until the next day and re-write it taking out the raw emotion and so it does become a more 'professional' response. The head honchos need to know their staff are losing the company customers by their attitude. Are the company on facebook or twitter? I would make a comment - especially on FB. Companies don't like unhappy customers advertising their unhappiness on social media so you may get a quicker response. Good luck

I just put them on blast on their FACEBOOK page in a professional, upset customer manner lol....I was a night property manager at a resort and dealt with complaints all the time, so I know what will work in my wording (yes while telling the truth) lol....

and yes guys it is horrible to be treated that way, I have been followed around in stores too before and I've called them out on in their face, but I have never tried this hard in my life to get back to where I always was (weight wise) so this is new to me and it's wrong, and I've been so emotional, and my husband can vouch for that, but even he said "No baby, you HAD a good reason to be upset, I'll handle her"
    My husband got like 50 cool points for that sentence lol

Even before I gained weight, that was something I never even thought twice about, I don't look at customers or employees and judge them by their weight and what not I just want to get in and get out!!!! lol
  • missjojo31
    missjojo31 Posts: 150
    This annoys me big time, I buy a lot of my tops in one shop because they are nice, but i see the staff looking down their noses at me, as if to say "oh why is SHE in here"

there was also a case of clothing stores telling employees that if a "larger" person comes in looking for work then the answer should be that there was nothing available, but of course if they was a skinny or slimmer girl then there was always job opportunities for them. Don't know if it is still like that though.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    A lot of places actually still do that and it's horrible, they want to "promote" their product... safety issues yes I can understand that, but if that isn't included then it shouldn't be an issue in my eyes
  • BonnieandClyde29
    AAAAAAND Aeropostle just took my post down, I hope someone contacts me, because this is ridiculous!
  • sjanejack
    sjanejack Posts: 158
    That is pretty awful. I hope that somebody does something about this. I was size 12, when I was 12, although I did not look big. I do not see how size 12 is an extended size either. I guess maybe i've never experienced it cause I haven't gone much places other than walmart.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    It seemed they were discriminating towards my size, especially because now they basically only have sizes 00-10, and even told my husband that anything larger than that they normally won't carry now
  • 2woof
    2woof Posts: 65 Member
    As a slim person can I just point out that there is no difference in how these shop assistants treat people at my end of the scales either? Is there a school where they learn how to look down their noses at people wanting to spend money in their shop? Why do the owners of these places not realise that they are insulting most of their customer base? I don't know Aeropostle so it is probably not British so it disappointing to know that this attitude is becoming world-wide. Who do they make clothes for? Do you have to be a UK12-14 (US8-10?) in order to get dressed these days? I understand you being frustrated and insulted - keep fighting them!
  • BonnieandClyde29
    It seemed they were discriminating towards my size, especially because now they basically only have sizes 00-10, and even told my husband that anything larger than that they normally won't carry now...ughh
  • BonnieandClyde29
    As a slim person can I just point out that there is no difference in how these shop assistants treat people at my end of the scales either? Is there a school where they learn how to look down their noses at people wanting to spend money in their shop? Why do the owners of these places not realise that they are insulting most of their customer base? I don't know Aeropostle so it is probably not British so it disappointing to know that this attitude is becoming world-wide. Who do they make clothes for? Do you have to be a UK12-14 (US8-10?) in order to get dressed these days? I understand you being frustrated and insulted - keep fighting them!

Thank you!!! I am sorry if people are rude to you!!! That is the point though in general, don't judge, if I have the money and want to buy cloths then it shouldn't matter the money is the same size, and color to these owner's when your spending it in their stores!!! Have some respect, it's called basic customer service
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot you can do about that. People will be snobbish if given a reason to, and when you're dealing with retail employees, it's not uncommon for them to hate their jobs and not give a flying *bleep*.

This!

I get it A LOT. When ever I'm going into the surf store (when I'm looking for my partner or my kids). I get the 'look' of 'oh, nothing in here will fit you so we won't ask if you need help'. Even when I'm standing in the store looking around aimlessly for ages!

I also get it in a dept store here which is slightly more upper market (but not that much but I guess the sales assistance think it is!!) & because I don't get dressed up, make up etc. to go to my local mall to have a shop they then think I must not have money. They watch me like a hawk, like I'm going to steal something & give me attitude. HATE THEM. But they have good kids clothes :laugh:

Sorry that happens to you!!! I love it when they watch me, i will either say something or just turn around and stare back at them, wave whatever, basically make them feel like an *kitten*
  • karenertl
    karenertl Posts: 271 Member

Thank you!!! I am sorry if people are rude to you!!! That is the point though in general, don't judge, if I have the money and want to buy cloths then it shouldn't matter the money is the same size, and color to these owner's when your spending it in their stores!!! Have some respect, it's called basic customer service

Ugh. I'm sorry for both of you. That must have beem horrible for you!
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    It seemed they were discriminating towards my size, especially because now they basically only have sizes 00-10, and even told my husband that anything larger than that they normally won't carry now...ughh

Just because they don't sell your size, doesn't mean they're discriminating against you, they can sell or not sell whatever sizes they like.

And as for complaining about retail staff, for every snotty shop assistant I have met, I have met 100 snotty customers. I worked in retail for 8 years as a manager.

Bad customer service is irritating, and I'm sure you're upset, but surely the most sensible thing to do is to get on with your life and not use the shop anymore. If their customer service is this bad, and everyone that experienced it did this, then they would either change their staff behaviours or go out of business.

Obviously, this is just my opinion.
  • BonnieandClyde29

Just because they don't sell your size, doesn't mean they're discriminating against you, they can sell or not sell whatever sizes they like.

And as for complaining about retail staff, for every snotty shop assistant I have met, I have met 100 snotty customers. I worked in retail for 8 years as a manager.

Bad customer service is irritating, and I'm sure you're upset, but surely the most sensible thing to do is to get on with your life and not use the shop anymore. If their customer service is this bad, and everyone that experienced it did this, then they would either change their staff behaviours or go out of business.

Obviously, this is just my opinion.

I understand even if they weren't "discriminating" against me, but that was just plain rude!!! I was a manager of a 5 star resort and had plenty of staff form different departments, and more than my fair share of customer complaints HOWEVER if any of my staff treated a customer/guest like that then they would have been fired!!! The point is I shouldn't have been treated like that and I am never shopping there again, but when I walked away the girl didn't have to yell at me saying she's not hiding them from me in her sarcastic and condescending tone!!!

I posted on their facebook, called corporate, asked for a manager there and I'm not getting any responses back at all!! I just wanted to ask why they don't carry my size anymore, and make a suggestion that they should, because I have cloths from there especially jeans, I loved that store, but now I want to complain. I don't want to get any "compensation", BUT I want my voice heard and it will be.