I need help with motivation

Options
Need some help!! For the past 2-3 mo. I've been eating like crap. I signed back up for Diet Doctor (a keto app), but with hot, muggy weather and the same ol' workout routines I lack motivation for exercise. I did, however, set my mind to cut out the alcohol today - not giving it up, but drinking it more moderately than before.

Replies

• Melly045
    Melly045 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I’ve been off track for far too long but i do believe this app can help you get back and stay back on track. Moderation definitely seems to be the key for everything. I don’t have all the answers but if i can help let me know.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    lionessNV wrote: »
    Need some help!! For the past 2-3 mo. I've been eating like crap. I signed back up for Diet Doctor (a keto app), but with hot, muggy weather and the same ol' workout routines I lack motivation for exercise. I did, however, set my mind to cut out the alcohol today - not giving it up, but drinking it more moderately than before.

If the alcohol was not moderated before it would definitely impact your ability to easily form an exercise habit. It may take a couple of weeks for your new levels to make you feel better.

If you are doing a lot of cardio then keto won't help either. Very low carb diets prevent glycogen from forming and that is your quick energy source. I am not sure what being "fat adapted" does for you in this regard but that also takes time from what I understand.

In the meantime you need to find that thing you are willing to do when your motivation is less. It is always a good idea to have something in your back pocket for those days because realistically you will always have them. Chances are that if you break the ice with your unmotivated day exercise it will help you do more. If not, at least you did something.

I think it is easier to form an exercise habit if I do something at the same time 7 days a week. When I do my full routine it takes close to 2 hours so I get up at 4:30a. When I am having a rest day, which I must always take on the same day, I still get up at 4:30a, I do 30 minutes of exercise, and I go back to bed. This leaves no room for negotiation when the alarm clock goes off. My streak is now at 265 days. The first couple of months was not always early and it was often a bare knuckle fight to push myself to exercise after a long day.

I am not saying you have to do the early o'clock thing I am just saying that you need to find what works for you so you do not have a lot of wiggle room to negotiate with yourself when you are feeling less like exercising.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I find it helps to know what kind of person you are. If you get into routines and feel self conscious in a gym, then you can set yourself up for success with daily online or DVD workouts from home. The 30-Day Shred is good. If you prefer to mix things up a bit you could do one day HIIT, one kettlebell routine, yoga with Adriene, a cardio or mall-walk or dance routine, so each day you are working in a different way.

I prefer accountability. If I promise a friend I'll go to a gym class with her, I'll go. If I book a personal trainer, I will turn up etc. Also, I get bored quickly and so the more variety there is, the better, from hill walking to kayaking to boxing or martial arts to flow yoga.

You could do some experiments on yourself. Try a week of online workouts from home, a week of promises to join friends for walks, swims, cycle rides, gum classes etc, a week of trial sessions at gyms and with trainers to see if that would work best, a week of new experiences such a climbing walk, paddle boarding etc. Then see which of these make you really excited to keep going and set yourself up a schedule based on what you've learned suits you best. At least you'll stay active while you are experimenting.