Anyone else have troubles reaching their calorie goal?

Options
Roxiemini
Roxiemini Posts: 18
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I am eating several things a day, fresh fruit, veg and meat, and rye bread, but I am not getting anywhere near my daily calorie goal :/ Like today, I've eaten an apple, piece of light rye toast and glass of almond milk for breakfast, had a salad roll and cappuccino for lunch and had a piece of steamed fish, baby spinach, red capsicum, tomato and a cup of raspberry, strawberry and logan berry tea for dinner, and I only had almost 600 calories today. And I don't feel hungry at all because what I'm eating is quite filling for me.

Just wanting advice on how I can maybe increase this, or is it not a bad thing?

Replies

• trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    It's a bad thing, because your body isn't getting the energy it needs. You can easily add calories into this eating plan though. Have some cheese with the apple, some butter on the toast (and maybe some peanut butter!), add mayo/sauce/cheese/avocado to the roll, have full fat milk in the capp, have some sauce on your fish, some ice cream or yoghurt with the berries, and see where that gets you.

Think of your body like a car. You'd never drive to work on no petrol in your car, so why would you try to work a full day on no 'petrol' in your tummy?

Think of your calories as a target, not as a limit, and try and get as close as poss
  • maffff
    maffff Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're eating 'too clean'.
  • peter236uk
    peter236uk Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have been on my weight loss for just a year and lost 64lb most days i was under my goal by a couple hundred cals. however some weekends had treats and was over so as long as your not hundreds under all the time i can not see the problem. Also it depends how accurate the calculator and servings are.
  • sjanejack
    sjanejack Posts: 158
    Options
    In my opinion it can be good and bad. But, for me even if its just 100 calories under, it always says i'm under. But I eat til i'm full, I don't just eat fruits + veggies. So, I really don't care that much about it.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If you eat "several things a day" and can't reach your calorie goal,it's simple, just eat several more things.

You're not eating nearly enough fat, protein, or calories.
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If you eat too little your body will think you're starving and hang on to the fat.You need more wholegrain carbs and protein.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    It's a bad thing, because your body isn't getting the energy it needs. You can easily add calories into this eating plan though. Have some cheese with the apple, some butter on the toast (and maybe some peanut butter!), add mayo/sauce/cheese/avocado to the roll, have full fat milk in the capp, have some sauce on your fish, some ice cream or yoghurt with the berries, and see where that gets you.

Think of your body like a car. You'd never drive to work on no petrol in your car, so why would you try to work a full day on no 'petrol' in your tummy?

Think of your calories as a target, not as a limit, and try and get as close as poss

This. Very good advice!

Give your body the fuel it needs.
    Use peanut butter, greek yogurt, nuts, cheese etc. These foods are good for you and will help you get to your calorie goal, plus they do wonders for your macros.

Always try to net above 1200 calories. If not, you're not giving your body what it needs.
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    it's dead easy to add several hundred calories without noticing if you do the right stuff (hell, that's why half of us ended up here after all!) Nuts and seeds are BRILLIANT for adding good cals without eating huge amounts, avo is great in salads and sarnies, and when cooking meat or veg in the oven, cook it in some extra virgin coconut oil - again, a great healthy fat for you, plus it adds your cals without adding greasiness, and makes food taste awesome. win win! This is exactly what I do if I have an "under" day.

The other night I was feeling so rough because I have a godawful head cold, didn't want any dinner but knew I really needed some calories, so i just blended 2 bananas and 200ml of semi skimmed milk into a shake, 300 calories right there :smile:
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I am eating several things a day, fresh fruit, veg and meat, and rye bread, but I am not getting anywhere near my daily calorie goal :/ Like today, I've eaten an apple, piece of light rye toast and glass of almond milk for breakfast, had a salad roll and cappuccino for lunch and had a piece of steamed fish, baby spinach, red capsicum, tomato and a cup of raspberry, strawberry and logan berry tea for dinner, and I only had almost 600 calories today. And I don't feel hungry at all because what I'm eating is quite filling for me.

I just never understand this question. I NEVER have any trouble hitting my calorie goal. :laugh:

Adding more calories is easy; it doesn't have to mean stuffing yourself. Cook the fish with a tablespoon of oil - nice and crispy and it's 100 calories. Eat two slices of toast, and use real butter - another 100 or so calories. A salad roll? Where's the meat? Or the cheese? Have some pasta or potatoes with your dinner.

If all else fails. just grab a jar of peanut butter and a spoon. You need to eat more - eating 600 cals a day will not help you lose weight in the long run.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    NO

Eat more fat and protein
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I only had almost 600 calories today. And I don't feel hungry at all because what I'm eating is quite filling for me.
    No, you don't feel hungry because you're not eating enough and your hunger signals are messed up. Eat more, and you'll very likely find that your appetite returns. If you feel "stuffed" then aim for calorie dense foods that won't fill you up as much, like nuts, cheese, eggs, peanut butter, full fat dairy, olive oil (on salad, or cook with it), etc. If it's easier to drink your calories, then drinking full fat milk, smoothies and protein shakes can help the calories add up pretty quickly. If you're eating anything labelled "low fat" or "lite", then stop, and eat the full fat versions.
  • Lovelovesme
    Lovelovesme Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Avocado
    Peanut Butter
    Olive Oil
    Almonds
    Dark Chocolate

All these things can help and are very good for you.

I'm never sure how anyone who has got to the point where they want/need to lose weight because they ate too many calories suddenly cant eat enough
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options

I'm never sure how anyone who has got to the point where they want/need to lose weight because they ate too many calories suddenly cant eat enough

This comment always irritates me. People decide to lose weight so restrict their eating. For years we've heard that to lose weight, you eat less and move more. So you think that lots of exercise and minimal food works. You slowly find out that that's not the case, and if you're lucky you don't get judged and criticised for your learning and weight loss journey.

It's totally logical. It's a psychological thing. You actually have to lose your fear of eating sometimes in order to lose your excess weight.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Never. I love food. That's how I got fat in the first place. ;)
  • serendipity57
    serendipity57 Posts: 153 Member
    Options

I just never understand this question. I NEVER have any trouble hitting my calorie goal. :laugh:

Adding more calories is easy; it doesn't have to mean stuffing yourself. Cook the fish with a tablespoon of oil - nice and crispy and it's 100 calories. Eat two slices of toast, and use real butter - another 100 or so calories. A salad roll? Where's the meat? Or the cheese? Have some pasta or potatoes with your dinner.

If all else fails. just grab a jar of peanut butter and a spoon. You need to eat more - eating 600 cals a day will not help you lose weight in the long run.
  • serendipity57
    serendipity57 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Definately this ^^^^^
  • Lovelovesme
    Lovelovesme Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You misunderstood me, and have gone way too much into psychological stuff that's not relevant, she was asking HOW to increase her intake, not why am she is scared of eating!

What I meant is most heavy people know what foods are high in calories from our life experiences and growing frames, and after years of eating that way, you'd think we would remember our high dense foods and if were eating 500 cals a day less than we should then there's nothing wrong with eating something dense to up the cal intake.

This comment always irritates me. People decide to lose weight so restrict their eating. For years we've heard that to lose weight, you eat less and move more. So you think that lots of exercise and minimal food works. You slowly find out that that's not the case, and if you're lucky you don't get judged and criticised for your learning and weight loss journey.

It's totally logical. It's a psychological thing. You actually have to lose your fear of eating sometimes in order to lose your excess weight.
  • kf5ljp
    kf5ljp Posts: 31
    Options
    Calorie counting I think can be a futil battle...Look at all of the factors such as fat, sodium, sugar and protein. Calories are a measurement of potential energy. We have the option of burning them or the option of storing them. The reason we count them in the first place is to use them in knowing our rate of intake vs our rate of burning them. This program is a beautiful tool in determining what we take in and and what we are burning. The factors are as well very important in our health. If we only pay attention to calories, then we could become sick and and even though we lose weight, we could be causing some damage and if it is done in extremes, we could become anorexic to a point of no return and die. It is better to have a safe removal of fat.
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    and, if in doubt, have a cocktail. calories AND fruity :drinker:
  • dadzzz
    dadzzz Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    looked at dairy eat more at lunch you don't seem to be getting enough fuel

i alway aim for 300 calories at breakfast 300 calories lunch and about 500 at dinner and 200 as a evening snack my dairy is open be my guest have alook

p.s are you include any hot drink during the day:smile:
This discussion has been closed.