Steak

Options
You go into a restaurant and you order a 12 oz rib eye. When the server brings it to you it does not look like 12 oz cooked because some fat has cooked off.

So last night I had steak 11.5 oz precooked and 7.1 after cooking. Which do I log? (I cut off a 3rd of it and had the rest with a egg this morning)

Anyone have an opinion or fact?

Thanks,

Starr

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Raw weight also.
    Eating out, you can’t know for sure, so I estimate and log as best I can.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    I don't eat beef steaks but add the amount of raw meat too.

Really just came to say you have such a great smile on your PP! It is so fetching and you seem so genuinely happy!! 😁
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    You should always go with the cooked weight and find the "cooked" calories per gram per USDA.

Those 4.4 ounces of weight loss probably included at least two ounces of pure fat which you did not eat or drink and therefore using raw weight would have given you a 450 calorie error.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    You go into a restaurant and you order a 12 oz rib eye. When the server brings it to you it does not look like 12 oz cooked because some fat has cooked off.

So last night I had steak 11.5 oz precooked and 7.1 after cooking. Which do I log? (I cut off a 3rd of it and had the rest with a egg this morning)

Anyone have an opinion or fact?

Thanks,

Starr

You will find entries for raw steak and entries for cooked steak. Just make sure whichever you choose you use the correct corresponding weight.

There will be slight inaccuracies either way, depending on the composition of the piece of steak and how you cook it. If you weigh it raw you are probably logging some calories that melted off the steak as you cooked it. If you weigh it cooked, you are probably over-correcting for moisture loss. Just be as consistent as you can :smile:
  • FoolishJoy
    FoolishJoy Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    @starrjulia Your smile is infectious!!! Love it!!
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    When eating at a restaurant - I log the raw weight of what the cut is supposed to be. Using a cooked entry is going to be iffy (IMO) because how you cook it determines weight. Hubby & I could start with 2 identical steaks. His will weigh more after cooked than mine, because he goes for medium rare and I go for medium well. More cooking means more moisture cooked out and that change the weight.

I imagine some fat is lost in the cooking process, but for a cut of steak I don't think it would be much as I tend to go for leaner cuts of meat anyhow.
  • starrjulia8
    starrjulia8 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I really appreciated the info. I'll keep smiling...