Contradiction

Options
mlgsmtl
mlgsmtl Posts: 10 Member
edited July 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello everyone.
I can't understand something.
When I look at my "nutrients" section it shows that I have a protein - 135 and goal 140 or carbohydrates total - 240 and goal - 256, or. This means that I still need to add protein and carbohydrates:
nsvvrufngjbs.png

But when I look at the "Calories Remaining" it shows that I have already eaten all the calories for today, I ate more than I should:
ehse3qh37qp0.jpg

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    Remember that the database is largely user-generated and there are plenty of entries that don't include accurate macros. Carbs and Proteins are 4 cal/g and fats are 9 cal/g. If those macros are right you'd only be at 1770 for the day so something is amiss.
  • mlgsmtl
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    Remember that the database is largely user-generated and there are plenty of entries that don't include accurate macros. Carbs and Proteins are 4 cal/g and fats are 9 cal/g. If those macros are right you'd only be at 1770 for the day so something is amiss.

I am not adding anything from the MFP database. I personally create each meal myself.
  • mlgsmtl
    Options
    mlgsmtl wrote: »

I am not adding anything from the MFP database. I personally create each meal myself.

If you are entering new foods into the database yourself (not using foods that are in there already) then I would ask where you get your macro numbers that you're adding in?

Many products are going to round up or down, plus packaged goods in the U.S. are allowed a 20% error rate in either direction. It's going to be difficult if not impossible to get accuracy unless you only use whole foods.

95 calories is well-within the margin of error on any given day, don't stress out about it. :)

Thank you for your answer, but unfortunately I did not receive an answer to my question. I understand that a little difference is not scary, but still, I am an accurate person and I want to know why this is happening.
    There are amounts of proteins(135), carbohydrates(240) and fats(30). Carbs and Proteins are 4 cal/g and fats are 9 cal/g. That's 540 + 960 + 270 = 1770 calories. Why then the counter counts 1954? 184 calories difference. But I want everything to show accurately. I love the accuracy :)
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,141 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    It's very strange, it shouldn't look like that, it having reached your macros but having eating too many calories.
    Have you perhaps at one point manually set your macro goals (fixed amounts) instead of what MFP gave you as a goal (grams based on percentages of your total calorie goal/consumption)?

Edit: errors in the database seem a more likely cause, after thinking it over
  • mlgsmtl
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    It's very strange, it shouldn't look like that, it having reached your macros but having eating too many calories.
    Have you perhaps at one point manually set your macro goals (fixed amounts) instead of what MFP gave you as a goal (grams based on percentages of your total calorie goal/consumption)?

Yes, calories and % total macronutrients percentage I set manually. But how much will it be in grams the MFP did it. In principle, everything is correct here. I manually wrote 1859 calories, set 30% proteins, 55% carbs and 15% fats. The program calculated the amount correctly. 1859/30% = 557 calories. 557/4 = 140 proteins and so on the rest. I installed a macronutrients percentage of the program correctly, but it counts calories incorrectly. Something is wrong here, you are right, but what exactly, I cannot understand.
  • mlgsmtl
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

If you are entering new foods into the database yourself (not using foods that are in there already) then I would ask where you get your macro numbers that you're adding in?

Many products are going to round up or down, plus packaged goods in the U.S. are allowed a 20% error rate in either direction. It's going to be difficult if not impossible to get accuracy unless you only use whole foods.

95 calories is well-within the margin of error on any given day, don't stress out about it. :)

Thank you for your answer, but unfortunately I did not receive an answer to my question. I understand that a little difference is not scary, but still, I am an accurate person and I want to know why this is happening.
    There are amounts of proteins(135), carbohydrates(240) and fats(30). Carbs and Proteins are 4 cal/g and fats are 9 cal/g. That's 540 + 960 + 270 = 1770 calories. Why then the counter counts 1954? 184 calories difference. But I want everything to show accurately. I love the accuracy :)

Unfortunately, this isn't an exact science kind of thing.

Also, if you're not using entries from the database to create your meals, where are you getting the calories and macros from? As mentioned, prepackaged goods are allowed a margin of error up to 20%.

I understand the OCD aspect here, but you're going to have to let that *kitten* go...trying to be bang on perfect with an imperfect science is only going to drive you crazy.

I take information from the Internet, manually create food, add carbs, protein and fats. But that's not the point. It's about counting. Why do I entered 1, 3, 5, but the MFP adds them up and instead of 9 gets 11. That is the question.
  • mlgsmtl
    Options

Yes, calories and % total macronutrients percentage I set manually. But how much will it be in grams the MFP did it. In principle, everything is correct here. I manually wrote 1859 calories, set 30% proteins, 55% carbs and 15% fats. The program calculated the amount correctly. 1859/30% = 557 calories. 557/4 = 140 proteins and so on the rest. I installed a macronutrients percentage of the program correctly, but it counts calories incorrectly. Something is wrong here, you are right, but what exactly, I cannot understand.

You said you created all your own database entries, you aren't using anything from the public database, right? If so, it seems like at least one of your foods doesn't have correct data.

Yes it is.
    Thanks for your reply. I will check my products again.
  • mlgsmtl
    Options
    Can I just add: I really think there is something wrong with the used food entries, eating almost 2000 kcal and ZERO grams of sugar and fiber is highly unlikely.

I am not counting anything other than carbs, protein, and fats. Only these indicators are important to me. I leave the rest empty, do not entered anything during creating food.
  • mlgsmtl
    Options

It's not going to happen unless YOU enter every food into the database yourself AND you use ONLY whole foods (as whole foods don't have labels.

Labels are allowed to be OFF by 20%.

Just move on. It's 95 cals.

Why do Macros mean so much to you? They aren't That Important in the scheme of things. Just concentrate on calories and forget this obsession. I used to worry about every gram too.

It's not important and it's not worth it.

I just want to understand where and what is the error. Why do I entered 1, 3, 5, but the MFP adds them up and instead of 9 gets 11.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    It's likely rounding. Whether from the internet (how do you know it's more accurate than any other number) or not, macro amounts are usually going to be rounded. You may see and put in 5 g fat, but the real number may be 5.4 g fat, and so the math won't work out perfectly for the planned calories (again, because the numbers are rounded).
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options

It's not going to happen unless YOU enter every food into the database yourself AND you use ONLY whole foods (as whole foods don't have labels.

Labels are allowed to be OFF by 20%.

Just move on. It's 95 cals.

Why do Macros mean so much to you? They aren't That Important in the scheme of things. Just concentrate on calories and forget this obsession. I used to worry about every gram too.

It's not important and it's not worth it.

I just want to understand where and what is the error. Why do I entered 1, 3, 5, but the MFP adds them up and instead of 9 gets 11.

Contact support