Advice on my routine?

Options
I am new here, and new to all this. I started really trying to lose weight about a month ago. Can someone tell me if I am doing too much or not enough?

I have a calorie intake of 1380 per MFP app. I have at least 100 if not more to lose. I am about 5' 1-2" tall. I have been walking nightly except when weather is in the way. About 1.75-2 miles each time, usually takes about 40 minutes to complete.

I also am trying to use my fitness video games daily, sometimes its every other day. I play for about an hour, at first it was just You Shape Fitness 2012 as it was the only game I had, but now I got Kinect Sports 1 and 2. Been playing the soccer game in Ameture level and now Pro level today for at least 30 minutes and then the Boxing for 30 minutes (man it makes my arms sore and I'm not even hitting anything for reals!)

I do not go to the gym as I cannot afford to, but school starts today again and it gives me access to the gym. I am a bit scared to go as the school I go to has a reputation for a party school and "hot girls" and I do not fit that category. But I want to go so bad, just have to try and not be bothered by any looks I might get.

But anyways, that is what I am doing right now. I try to walk everyday so 7 days a week. Right now I lost my job and have not been leaving the house much, or doing much. I have my fitness level set to the lowest one, the one if you sit most of the day/desk job. Should I change that if I walk everyday?

Is walking everyday, a full 7 days a week not a good idea? Should it be less? Should I do the game and walk the same days?

Just looking for some guidance on what I am doing.

Thanks.

Replies

• Adforperu
    Adforperu Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing great. Depending on your weight, you'll be working off calories by walking for sure. I know someone who lost about 5st over a few years purely from getting a job as a security guard (in a small complex).

Those games should help too, but not sure how much. If you're hearts beating faster, then that is good.

The gym.. I'd love to say "don't worry what others think" but you don't want to start getting bullied or whatever as I know even passing snide comments can be hurtful. Saying that, the more you do it and better you look, the more you'll shove it to them :) And hey, you've not been yet, who's to say anyone will care! :)

As for MFP, I put inactive as I note my walks down as "exercise" (3mph walks)
  • FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I am at 268 but I use the scales at the store so not totally accurate until I get my own. I have a HRM watch but you have to manually check your HR so when you stop to check your HR slows down but its around 100bpm-115bpm so far with the soccer and boxing. I would love a Fitbit Flex to better track calories, but can't afford one now.

I read that too much of the same thing is bad, or not as good, so I was not sure if trying to walk 7 days a week was good or not, like your body getting used to the routine or something like that and then you don't lose. That's what I'm afraid will happen.

Thank you for responding.
  • TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    Agreed don't worry about what anybody else thinks because what you are doing is for yourself not for them as you are the important one. You are doing great with your exercise I am like you with the walking weather permitting I almost got an hours walk in today before the rains came but it was worth it went 1.9 miles burnt a lot of calories but that is what it is all about doing it for yourself. Your body does get used to the same thing if you do the same exercises for 2-3 weeks in a row then you stop losing weight so try to change things around I do it and it confuses my body it has no idea what I am doing so it doesn't have a chance to get used to the same routine all the time
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Walking is a wonderful start! Many people lose a lot of weight just by eating decently (not perfect) and walking regularly. YOu picked a screen name of 'Firecracker', so I'm betting you can work around any rude people you might encounter at the gym. Think about that song, "Baby your a firework" and don't be so down on yourself. How many people (like me in the past) sit on the couch all night snacking instead of getting up walking? I love the saying, "I may be slow, but I'm lapping everyone on their couch." Be proud of yourself for choosing to do something great for yourself.

Do they have a trainer at the gym where you could save up for even just one session? That might help you get comfortable as walking into any room for the first time is always tough. If that's not plausible, read on here and other sites about how lifting weights can help you drop weight and make you thinner and stronger in combination with your walking and exercise games. Don't be afraid to go outside of your comfort zone. I started the Couch to 5 program when I could barely run for one minute straight and was about 80 lbs overweight. You may not realize it, but you can do much more than you think.

Finally, there are so many good, smart people on MFP who can help and encourage you. We ARE worth it and we WILL do it - not just try, but succeed beyond our wildest dreams!

Best of luck and much strength to you!:flowerforyou:

Edited to say I just saw you posted at 6:17am - anyone who can be up and typing and thinking as early as us can do anything :)
  • FirecrackerJess
    Options
    Actually its 4:10am for me. I haven't gone to bed. I have trouble sleeping at night. And since I was laid off about 3 weeks ago, even more so. School starts again today so that might change but I have night classes so maybe not so much.

And thank you. The name I chose... sort of a reminder of someone who called me that.

As for changing things up. Should I alternate video game with walking days? So my body doesn't get used to a routine?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I am at 268 but I use the scales at the store so not totally accurate until I get my own. I have a HRM watch but you have to manually check your HR so when you stop to check your HR slows down but its around 100bpm-115bpm so far with the soccer and boxing. I would love a Fitbit Flex to better track calories, but can't afford one now.

I read that too much of the same thing is bad, or not as good, so I was not sure if trying to walk 7 days a week was good or not, like your body getting used to the routine or something like that and then you don't lose. That's what I'm afraid will happen.

Thank you for responding.
    "Too much of the same thing is bad" is a myth. Doing the same thing is the only way to realistically gauge progress. Now, I'll clarify a bit. Walking exactly the same pace, for exactly the same time, will eventually stop giving results. However, if you walk every day, and say you finish 10 seconds faster every day, that's real, measurable progress. If you suddenly stop walking to do something else, now you've lost any reference point you've had and have to start all over. Keep changing every time you workout, and you'll have no way to really measure progress at all, and will just be spinning your wheels.

Same thing with weight training. You don't need 800 different lifts to "confuse" your muscles. Throw another plate on the bar. Muscles "confused."

As for what you're doing, it sounds fine. I'd venture to say you could probably easily lose eating more than 1380, but with the amount you have to lose currently, it isn't an issue yet. Keep on keepin' on.

As for the gym, go. The vast majority of people that are in a gym and in great shape, were not in that shape when they first walked in. If they were, they wouldn't need the gym.
  • FirecrackerJess
    Options
    You mean I should eat more? To lose more? I don't get that part.

Again thanks everyone for the responses. I really want to get a fitbit flex for more motivation and better calorie tracking and such but need a job first!

I go to ASU so... you kind of maybe will understand my being intimidated to go to the gym. It's brand new, only been open since last semester.
  • level26
    level26 Posts: 27
    Options
    Walking is a wonderful start! Many people lose a lot of weight just by eating decently (not perfect) and walking regularly. YOu picked a screen name of 'Firecracker', so I'm betting you can work around any rude people you might encounter at the gym. Think about that song, "Baby your a firework" and don't be so down on yourself. How many people (like me in the past) sit on the couch all night snacking instead of getting up walking? I love the saying, "I may be slow, but I'm lapping everyone on their couch." Be proud of yourself for choosing to do something great for yourself.

Do they have a trainer at the gym where you could save up for even just one session? That might help you get comfortable as walking into any room for the first time is always tough. If that's not plausible, read on here and other sites about how lifting weights can help you drop weight and make you thinner and stronger in combination with your walking and exercise games. Don't be afraid to go outside of your comfort zone. I started the Couch to 5 program when I could barely run for one minute straight and was about 80 lbs overweight. You may not realize it, but you can do much more than you think.

Finally, there are so many good, smart people on MFP who can help and encourage you. We ARE worth it and we WILL do it - not just try, but succeed beyond our wildest dreams!

Best of luck and much strength to you!:flowerforyou:

Edited to say I just saw you posted at 6:17am - anyone who can be up and typing and thinking as early as us can do anything :)

Great reply!