Meal replacement protein shake? help please!

Options
I'm looking for a meal replacement protein powder or shake that I can drink for breakfast. I'm not a big breakfast person and I don't get much protein. I was thinking of going with the Gladiator mix from Smoothie King but I'm not sure. Can any of y'all recommend some protein powders or shakes that are low in sugar? I am currently drinking special K protein shakes but those have 18 grams of sugar!!! Please help!

Replies

• kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    2 bananas, 200ml skimmed milk, blend. Much healthier, tastes awesome :smile:
  • Mady1911
    Mady1911 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    ^this! I would never replace from fresh food with a powder, god knows what's in it unless I was on a battlefield and had no other choice!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

That's not much protein. I'd add some protein powder, honestly.
  • level26
    level26 Posts: 27
    Options

So simple yet I never thought of that before. Sounds great! :wink:
  • hosegirl
    hosegirl Posts: 157
    Options
    Peanut Butter Smoothie
    (1 serving)
    - 1 cup 2% low fat milk
    - 2 tablespoons peanut butter
    - 1 frozen banana
    Blend all ingredients until smooth.
    Per serving: 415 calories, 17 grams protein
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    I use GNC lean shakes. 2 scoops of powder which is 9g of protein and 8 oz of skim milk which is 8g of protein. Keeps me full until the next meal.
  • mnharrington
    mnharrington Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I use the GNC Lean Shake 25. It has 25 grams of protein in 2 scoops. I usually mix it with water or unsweetened almond milk. I am not a morning person so it is a much better alternative that skipping breakfast entirely.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I use the Nitrotech Performance Series which can be bought at GNC. They taste great and the vanilla has 1g of carbs per serving while the chocolate and most other flavors have 2g.

I use the vanilla in a whole bunch of fruit smoothies and I use the chocolate in a peanutbutter smoothie that tastes like reese cups...:) 1 cup of unsweetened chocolate almond milk, 1 scoop of chocolate powder, 1-2 tbsps of peanutbutter and ice to your preference. You can add half a banana too or strawberries.

Enjoy!
  • Schollinater
    Schollinater Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would go with the banana smoothie and add hemp powder for additional protein.
  • Jillination
    Options
    Personally, I'd rather eat a protein bar than drink a shake. Quest Nutrition has some really good ones....and there's a few that if you microwave them, they're amazing!
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I don`t by into these nutrition bars, better to have a fresh banana , apples, peach orange or other fresh fruits plus a handful of almonds in your paper bag.

Just read the label look at the ingredients the additives the fillers in those prepackaged products.

The Big Food Manufacturers are in the business of making a profit they only answer to their shareholders.

If they can package up cheap ingredient products like bars and those cereals with their added sugars and added vitamins and get you to pick it off the shelf , they have made $$$ and you have bought the illusion of convenience and ready to go and forgone a much healthier thought out choice with its better assortment of nutrients and fibers.
  • pajouey79
    pajouey79 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i like the ensure high protein if you are in a pinch and have to grab something. 25g protein, 23g carbs, 5g sugars. I usually drink it for lunch to keep me full until dinner. :drinker:
  • bingefreeaubree
    bingefreeaubree Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Any protein powder + fruit+ milk = meal replacement. Or, if I don't want to have to add a bunch of things to the blender and want a meal replacement powder (not just protein powder) I use Shakeology by Beachbody. If you look at the label you'd be amazed by all of the nutrition in it versus your typical protein powder. I've heard great things about 310 Nutrition Shakes too. These are both very expensive though, so you might be better off just using regular whey or soy protein powder with some fruit and milk. :smile: When I don't use Shakeology, I use Strawberry Designer Whey protein powder (1 scoop is 100 calories and has 18 grams of protein), vanilla almond milk, and a banana.
  • hazeldixon89
    hazeldixon89 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    im not a breakfast person either but I have banana pancakes, ingredients are just a mushed banana with 2 eggs taste amazing and keeps me full for hours
  • scorpio31f
    Options
    I also do not eat breakfast so I buy hyvee brand 100% whey protien shake (chocolate) and it's only 110 calories for 1 full scoop, tastes really good and keeps me full always until around 1pm or so (I have my shake after my treadmill workout usually by 9am, )
  • kaned_ferret
    Options
    Peanut Butter Smoothie
    (1 serving)
    - 1 cup 2% low fat milk
    - 2 tablespoons peanut butter
    - 1 frozen banana
    Blend all ingredients until smooth.
    Per serving: 415 calories, 17 grams protein

Oh I'm so getting some peanut butter to add in, sounds amazing!
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options

I'm sure it tastes great. But, how is this a protein hardy drink?

I use Body Fortress whey protein. It tastes fine and gets the job done, without costing an arm and a leg.
  • kaned_ferret
    Options

Real food is certainly a better option whenever possible, but where's the protein? :/

True point there - I was thinking more along the lines of providing a liquid breakfast option for the OP who said they didn't really manage breakfast, rather than thinking about the protein goal.. So I guess, add a bit of powder to the above mix if protein is desired..

But having just tried the milkshake mix with added peanut butter, I'm gonna stick right there, nom!