Achy joints to just elbows

Hi all,

I had been running a strength phase of a full body routine 3 days week + 1 Bodypump class I teach (lightly). Last week, my joints hurt A LOT. Fast forward 4 days of rest and now it’s just my elbows Any tips to prevent this? Could I have been lifting too hard? It started on my 3rd week of the program, which tells me this may not be the actual lifting...

Sleep on it funny? Any supplement recommendations?

Currently, I take chelated magnesium at night.

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I would start with staying within your adaptations by using proper load management from the info you gave.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    alexmose wrote: »
    It started on my 3rd week of the program, which tells me this may not be the actual lifting...

Presumably you've increased the weight and/or sets, so you might have done too much too soon. Try reducing the weight or number of sets involving elbow flexion.
    And yes, sleeping with the elbows tightly bent can cause sore elbows.
  • RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    Dynamic stretching pre-workout, static stretching post-workout.
    Also, fish oil and cissus will lower the intensity of joint symptoms.

8wz8hkywpobc.jpeg
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member

8wz8hkywpobc.jpeg

What is #5 on the shoulder stretches? shrugs?
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    swirlybee wrote: »

8wz8hkywpobc.jpeg

That would be ‘puffed chest’.....I have no idea
  • Chieflrg

There simply isn't any significant data to back up this claim in general.

If has potential for people with RA which has a very specific joint problem caused by a defective immune system.

Other people that could benefit are pregnant women, asthmatics, and those with high triglycerides but still isn't a guarantee, just potential.

Fish oil is more of a placebo if anything for the public without the conditions I listed at least according to what evidence suggests.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Not a nice chart. There are quite a few stretches in there that can cause more damage than do any good if done not properly to be honest.

TO, were those really joint issues or doms close to the joints? Asking because I can for example get terrible doms either side of the inner elbow and on other locations close to joints. I have fairly long muscles and short tendons though.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    Not a nice chart. There are quite a few stretches in there that can cause more damage than do any good if done not properly to be honest.

TO, were those really joint issues or doms close to the joints? Asking because I can for example get terrible doms either side of the inner elbow and on other locations close to joints. I have fairly long muscles and short tendons though.

Joints. I could def feel it in the Joints specifically. Still flares up every once in a. While.
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Reistience exercises that hit the forearms/grip (high volume deadlifts, curls, chin ups, rows) can really impact my elbows. My PT told me to roll my forearms longways with a lacrosse ball in the middle of the muscle and across the muscle close to the elbow. It really seems to help.
  • RepswithRyan
    swirlybee wrote: »

8wz8hkywpobc.jpeg

I do stretch #5 as a shrug for a minute.

I do each stretch for a minute, 30 seconds per side on the stretches with two sides.

I have seen increases in my flexibility which has transferred over to my training on the still rings but with anything, take care when stretching if you are new to flexibility training and if you are looking for books that are beyond the spectrum of free routines, you
    could check out Stretching Scientifically by Thomas Kurz which goes into stretching for specific sports, gymnastics, kickboxing, etc.

• RepswithRyan
    Chieflrg wrote: »

If has potential for people with RA which has a very specific joint problem caused by a defective immune system.

Other people that could benefit are pregnant women, asthmatics, and those with high triglycerides but still isn't a guarantee, just potential.

Fish oil is more of a placebo if anything for the public without the conditions I listed at least according to what evidence suggests.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24113700/

Conclusion: An 8-week course of supplementation with CQ reduced joint pain in a sample of 29 young, otherwise healthy, exercise-trained men.
  • Chieflrg
    edited August 2020
    Chieflrg wrote: »

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24113700/

Conclusion: An 8-week course of supplementation with CQ reduced joint pain in a sample of 29 young, otherwise healthy, exercise-trained men.

Additional study is needed to extend these findings, including comparison with a placebo-controlled cohort, and possibly, examining effects of CQ use in women and older adult subjects
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    You forgot the 2nd half of the conclusion.

As stated evidence suggests it is more of a placebo effect with the data we have when we include pain science.

Wasn't even a blind study and they went by "feel" within a questionnaire as a measurement. Sorry feel doesn't conclude that a supplement worked only that somebody feels it worked.

They don't even state how load management was utilized if any for the strenuous exercise which is a huge hole in the study.

I personally feel zero joint pain in my hands and hips, though I have a progressive joint disease that is deforming my hands and hips as we speak at a rapid rate which is proven by x rays.

Does that conclude that me eating a banana nut muffin every day for the past month reversed the disease because that is the last time I felt pain in my hands or hips of any kind because those muffins are good! Or is it more likely because I lowered my intensity and volume on squats and deadlifts in this last month and so inflammation is lowered which is always present within anybody who practices strenuous exercise?

Pain is way more complicated than a feeling. People have crazy pain for no scientific reason and people can have zero pain with things such as bulging discs. Pain is not a indicator of anything wrong unless a direct result of trama. In other words current evidence suggests that pain is always signaled from the brain first as a protector to tell us something might be wrong and to protect us.

Also 29 young men is hardly substantial amount of subjects to pull data from regardless.