Hello :) starting 16:8 today! 90+ pounds to lose!!!

luciebam
luciebam Posts: 1 Member
Hey all,
I'm Lucie, and from the South Coast of UK!
32 years old and on a mission to finally get this weight off, I have been overweight all my life, but I am the heaviest I have ever been, and it's getting to the point that it's becoming a ever increasing health risk!
After a lot of research, I have decided to try the 16:8 Intermittent Fasting, as I'm not a massive breakfast person, I am hoping this will slot in with my life style. My eating window is going to be 1pm to 9pm, this is because we don't generally eat dinner until 8ish, so wanted a bit of a later window.
I have 91 pounds, 6.5 Stone to lose to get where I want to, would love some support along the way so please follow along :)
Look forward to getting to know you all

Replies

• erikaramirez4872
    erikaramirez4872 Posts: 35 Member
    I been doing 16/8 for a few months now and loving it. My Mother-in-law is now doing it! Haha
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    I don't fast but I pray Lord Jesus gives you the strength to push through 💪
  • carleyschofield
    carleyschofield Posts: 3 Member
    I'm starting 16/8 again too and have about 22lbs to lose. If you want a friend feel free to add me.
  • uv_cals
    uv_cals Posts: 4 Member
    Hi Lucie, 6:18 really works. I have beet overweight all my life too. I had my doubts when I started but seeing results in just few weeks convinced me. I was 96 kg last december (my heaviest) and my goal weight is 63-65 kg. I am 5'5. Was down to 70 kg but now I am 76 kg again. My mission is to get to my goal before the year ends. Adding you.
  • emadev
    emadev Posts: 3 Member
    Hi Lucie. I started IF in May so am relatively new to it all But have lost 2 stone so far. Good luck with it and please feel free to add me for support. Good luck ☺️
  • UQ321
    UQ321 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello everyone
    I'm also currently doing 16:8. I've found it to be the best way for me to lose weight in the past. The 1st few weeks are difficult but once it becomes habit, it becomes easier.

I'm the past I've used it to go from 110kg to 92kg at my lowest (since 2013). But lack of sport and overindulging has got me back upto 123kg. Since October 2019 I've been trying to lose weight but I'm finding it hard to be consistent for more than a few weeks.

So I've started to log my daily calories with 16:8 and hopefully it helps me to stick with a calorie deficit.

Please feel free to add me for support.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    If 16:8 works for you, GREAT! If you find it isn't keeping you satisfied, remember there are other ways to apportion your food intake, 16:8 is just one. Many people try one way and, if it doesn't work for them, they throw up their hands and say, "I can't lose the weight." Whereas, the thing to do is try something else. As long as you have established a good calorie target and stick to it, how you do it is up to you. No one way, be it IF, keto, low carb, gluten-free, OMAD, clean or paleo necessarily works better than any other. What works for YOU is what works.
  • lucyfitstory
    lucyfitstory Posts: 7 Member
    Hi Lucie! Great name :p I'm not doing fasts but i have about 90lbs to lose as well! I'll send you a friend request and we can keep each other on track! :)
  • mrscroker12
    mrscroker12 Posts: 2 Member
    I also do intermittent fasting. Currently doing 18:6. Easy. But would like to rotate and do some OMAD days too! Anyone have great results?
  • Julie31171
    Julie31171 Posts: 24 Member
    For those of you who are doing 18:6 IF, do you eat your whole day's calories during the 8? Or to you eliminate the calories from the "missed" meal? I have been doing it for about 27 days or so....not sure if I am doing it correctly though. I thought I'd be losing more quickly than I am....I've been staying around 1100-1200 calories per day, usually between 1-7 pm. Thoughts?
  • brittkd14
    brittkd14 Posts: 22 Member
    Julie31171 wrote: »
    For those of you who are doing 18:6 IF, do you eat your whole day's calories during the 8? Or to you eliminate the calories from the "missed" meal? I have been doing it for about 27 days or so....not sure if I am doing it correctly though. I thought I'd be losing more quickly than I am....I've been staying around 1100-1200 calories per day, usually between 1-7 pm. Thoughts?

There are several bits to the IF thing. You still eat the same calories, but your meals are a little larger (from my understanding). A lot of the main drivers in the IF community say the benefits are mostly from the body getting time in the fasted state to do clean up/repair/rest.
    I really do think it depends on the person, how sustainable it is long term. If skipping a meal causes you to feel ravenous or binge-y, I would steer clear.
  • EML112610
    EML112610 Posts: 27 Member
    I was really interested in doing the same. I applaud your resolve. I ran into two snags, one my BP is a bit high and int.fast can potentially but temporarily mess w/ your electrolyte balance, which makes sense. Two, I know me and I could never survive an evening fast, I need the bulk of my waking fast to be in the a.m. and i take mornings meds that if I do so on an empty stomach....🤢! Kind of disappointing bc I think I couldve been a good candidate. I wish you luck should you decide to go down that path! Feel free to add me so I can cheer u on!
  • mouser36
    mouser36 Posts: 15 Member
    I had 30 pounds to lose (quit smoking weight gain)!
    I started July 2019. By the end of January 2020 I lost the 30 pounds with 16:8 IF.
    I ate right before, worked out. Never lost an ounce. IF worked and I found it to be very easy.
    I do also workout. Do not kill myself by any means but a rowing machine helped build a lot of muscle.
    Planks, push-ups, leg lifts etc.
    Been maintaining since January and now decided I’d like to lose 5 more pounds.
    Struggling with it for some reason. But it’ll happen. I’m way too stubborn!
    Hubby started IF in May and has lost 35 pounds. It does work!!!
    Best wishes...if I can help with anything just holler!
  • Julie31171
    Julie31171 Posts: 24 Member
    mouser36 wrote: »
    I started July 2019. By the end of January 2020 I lost the 30 pounds with 16:8 IF.
    I ate right before, worked out. Never lost an ounce. IF worked and I found it to be very easy.
    I do also workout. Do not kill myself by any means but a rowing machine helped build a lot of muscle.

How long does it take to start seeing results? I've been doing it about 5 weeks.... not sure if i was eating enough initially but hopefully im working it out now. Any advise is appreciated!! Feel free to add me too!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    Julie31171 wrote: »
    mouser36 wrote: »

How long does it take to start seeing results? I've been doing it about 5 weeks.... not sure if i was eating enough initially but hopefully im working it out now. Any advise is appreciated!! Feel free to add me too!

Are you in a calorie deficit? Are you weighing all your food on a food scale?
    IF does nothing to weight loss if you're eating too much.
  • thebiblewithtina
    thebiblewithtina Posts: 48 Member
    Welcome onboard. Began 20:4 on 3rd August. Losing weight every single week and I eat whatever I want during my window. Love it. If 16:8 don't work, bump up to 20:4. Good luck.
    Ps. I'm a Londoner (UK)
  • thebiblewithtina
    thebiblewithtina Posts: 48 Member
    EML112610 wrote: »
    I was really interested in doing the same. I applaud your resolve. I ran into two snags, one my BP is a bit high and int.fast can potentially but temporarily mess w/ your electrolyte balance, which makes sense. Two, I know me and I could never survive an evening fast, I need the bulk of my waking fast to be in the a.m. and i take mornings meds that if I do so on an empty stomach....🤢! Kind of disappointing bc I think I couldve been a good candidate. I wish you luck should you decide to go down that path! Feel free to add me so I can cheer u on!

That's the beauty of IF. You choose your own fasting and feasting window - when it suits YOU.
  • siyeonsimpp
    siyeonsimpp Posts: 211 Member
    Hi! I haven't been purposely doing the 16/8 fasting method, but whenever I do skip breakfast, it helps me stay in a calorie deficit and not overeat, which I'm now fully seeing the results of. You can do this!