need help on determining if I'm leisurely, moderately or briskly walking

Options
Trying to accurately record my exercise minutes in my exercise diary on MFP. If I'm walking between 17 and 20 minute miles is that considered leisurely, moderately or briskly walking? I've looked online and am now more confused b/c age has something to do with it, too. I'm thinking it's either leisurely or moderately. Thanks for your help in advance.

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,594 Member
    Options
    My Apple Watch would pick that up as moderate. Brisk is about 15:30 or less. But I don’t know if that’s an Apple definition or not.
  • jdctrumpet
    jdctrumpet Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    MFP has the mph attached to the exercise entries. A 20 minute mile is 3mph, and is listed as moderate. A 17 minute mile is 3.5mph and is listed as brisk. A 15 minute mile would be 4mph and is listed as very brisk.
  • nawk6
    nawk6 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the help!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your stride as well as an individual's BMR (basal metabolic rate). I have a very small stride and a mile takes me 50 some-odd minutes even when walking briskly, for me. Here's a link to a calculator that takes your BMR into account. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/325323
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    If I walk alone, I can put them in as brisk. If I walk with my husband, he continuously tells me that we aren’t power walking and insists that I slow down. I put those walks in as leisurely.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    For me, that's leisurely, but I believe pretty much every exercise tracker or chart out there would call that moderate.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    jdctrumpet wrote: »
    MFP has the mph attached to the exercise entries. A 20 minute mile is 3mph, and is listed as moderate. A 17 minute mile is 3.5mph and is listed as brisk. A 15 minute mile would be 4mph and is listed as very brisk.

Yes, I do a 20 minute mile and use the "Walking, 3.0 mph, mod. pace, walking dog" entry.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    If I walk alone, I can put them in as brisk. If I walk with my husband, he continuously tells me that we aren’t power walking and insists that I slow down. I put those walks in as leisurely.

I walk with my 80 year old husband and 12.5 year old dog. I walk moderately for 10 yards, wait a minute, walk moderately for 10 yards, wait a minute, etc. I just note the total distance and call it leisurely.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Leisurely would be like walking around the mall chatting with friends or a romantic stroll on the beach.

Moderately would be walking somewhere with a purpose, not doing anything else (like talking), but not in a hurry. A dedicated walk going somewhere. Walking the dog maybe? Most walks fall under this category for me, if it isn't leisurely or brisk, it's moderate.

Brisk would be in a hurry to get somewhere. Anything faster and I'd no longer be walking.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Leisurely would be like walking around the mall chatting with friends or a romantic stroll on the beach.

Moderately would be walking somewhere with a purpose, not doing anything else (like talking), but not in a hurry. A dedicated walk going somewhere. Walking the dog maybe? Most walks fall under this category for me, if it isn't leisurely or brisk, it's moderate.

Brisk would be in a hurry to get somewhere. Anything faster and I'd no longer be walking.

The dogs really like to poke along and smell things, but I also usually let them off leash to explore (assuming no other people are around or streets), so a dog walk totally falls under leisurely for me. Plus, if I’m wrong and I actually burned MORE calories, even better. I’m only set to lose 1 lb a week and that gives me the oppperunity to lose a little extra.