Sugar free/low-sugar people?

Options
Heyy, just wondering if anyone else is eating sugar-free or low sugar? I just started yesterday in hopes of getting rid of my sweet tooth, and had a total of 10 grams sugar. Today I went a bit high and got to 23 grams...
If anyone knows how many grams you should stick to daily, it'd be greatly apreciated if you let me know.

For the first week I'm doing no fruit :(, nothing that tastes sweet and trying to stick to <10-20g a day. Helllppp

Replies

• lindseydodd408
    lindseydodd408 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to do the same... So hard... Sugar is added to everything!!!

Before i started I looked at the "I quit sugar" website and that advocates only 6grams of sugar. I find this really hard to stick to but aiming for it has certainly reduced the amount of sugar that I am eating.

I'm two weeks in and the cravings are easing off and my energy levels are increasing.
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    No sugar allowed from fruit? that is just crazy talk.
    I am a no sugar added type of girl but if it is fruit based sugar, say from a raw apple, i dont care.

43359607.png
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    No sugar allowed from fruit? that is just crazy talk.
    I am a no sugar added type of girl but if it is fruit based sugar, say from a raw apple, i dont care.

43359607.png

Exactly!! I am hypoglycemic and have a Hormone Imbalance and HAVE to go low sugar and limit it in just about everything. BUT, when it comes to Fruits, I don't count them! I mentally do the math in my head to see what my "extra" sugar intake is to try and keep it low. I wish there were a way to separate them in our diary!

Besides, Fruit is a GREAT alternative when you DO have a sweet tooth!!
  • amandaeire
    Options
    i just put in todays first half of the day diary and I am already way over on my sugar :/
  • jjinteso
    jjinteso Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    I am trying to stay below 20 g. of sugar per day over the past month. Some days it works better than others. I have been averaging 18.7 over the past month. I got motivated to cut the sugars when I read an article that said that sugar is actually worse for you than fat (specifically unsaturated) fats.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I think just avoiding dessert and processed foods with sugar in them will get you most of the way there. I don't avoid fruit, but I'm not a eat a gallon of fruit a day person either. Last night I had three figs.
  • hultq29
    hultq29 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just started counting my sugar intake and am trying to stay under 25 grams per day, and as a fruit eater that is very difficult. So I have decided to count the sugar from fruit, but if that is what pushes me over 25, then I am not going to worry to much about it.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Heyy, just wondering if anyone else is eating sugar-free or low sugar? I just started yesterday in hopes of getting rid of my sweet tooth, and had a total of 10 grams sugar. Today I went a bit high and got to 23 grams...
    If anyone knows how many grams you should stick to daily, it'd be greatly apreciated if you let me know.

For the first week I'm doing no fruit :(, nothing that tastes sweet and trying to stick to <10-20g a day. Helllppp

If one does not have a medical condition, why attempt to cut it down? And eliminating fruit? :huh: That is silly talk. Sugar is a carb, track the carbs and do not stress about the sugar numbers.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If one does not have a medical condition, why attempt to cut it down? And eliminating fruit? :huh: That is silly talk. Sugar is a carb, track the carbs and do not stress about the sugar numbers.

This.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    for the record..sugar does not make you fat ...eating an excessive amount of calories over what you burn makes your fat...
  • dancinrascal
    dancinrascal Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    I am learning that I am so carb sensitive/sugar sensitive that it isn't even funny. I noticed that once I get a taste of sugar or even artificial sweetener and any kind of grain, I crave any kind of food. Lately, I switched out my usual breakfast of plain yogurt (also triggers me), an apple, and almond butter, to an egg white omelette with a slice of light cheddar, mushrooms, and spinach and a pear with almond butter. I noticed that my cravings to end on a sweet note have decreased, and then if I eat lower GI fruits with a protein, I avoid that blood sugar spike. For me, the key is lots of veggies, proteins, and some nuts, with a small portion of fruit and no processed carbs or grain products, even gluten free. Even corn chips set me off, as well as any overly starchy veggies. Hope this helps! And btw, I'm not saying that you can't eat these things, because everyone is different, but this is just going from my own experience. Best of luck!