Options
2»

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,515 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Weakness, confusion, ravenous hunger are symptoms of hypoglycemia. It isn’t the presence of protein so much as the absence of carbs that will cause that. Proteins take longer to metabolize while carbs are relatively quick. You may be waiting too long to eat and triggering a hypoglycemic response.

This was my thought exactly. I have reactive hypoglycemia and this sounds like all the same symptoms. But OP you said your doctor did a glucose test already so I’m not sure what else it could be.

Exactly. Plys I did 10 minute sampling myself from dinner oneards to see if there’s something odd. Nope, there isn’t. It does give me the same odd feeling I had when I was on steroids and had an elevated sugar. But if that was cause of the sugar or something else I don’t know.

I also know I get the same kind of feeling when I’m low in salt, but here it doesn’t help.

The fact that you stated protein rich foods also trigger reflux for you makes me think this could possibly be an enzyme deficiency issue. Maybe your stomach is not producing enough of the enzymes necessary to digest protein and it makes you feel ill, very much in the same way lactose rich foods make people lacking lactose digesting enzymes feel ill. Maybe your body just can’t handle breaking down the protein very well? I don’t know, just brainstorming here :)

Oh, interesting idea! Something to follow up on somehow. Thanks a lot.
    My dinner tonight was probably a new low in protein. I had quiche loraine (I also normally can't eat egg due to reflux, but this works) with a huge pile of red cabbage with apple and pumpkin seeds. And two very carb-rich deserts. And I feel fab.

Tomorrow should be interesting as my dinner will have nearly twice as much protein as today. I make sure I'll add enough salt and have enough to drink to start with. Then evaluate how I feel.