weight, weight, weight... Isn't this about fitness?

Options

Replies

• toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    My weight, body fat percentage, and measurements are obvious markers so I follow them. It would be interesting to pursue a sport some day, such as training for a triathlon, to give my physical activity more purpose, but I'm not willing to make a commitment right now. I do keep track of my workouts.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    We're not all here for the same reason.

Case in point is the recent creation of losing, maintenance, and gaining weight categories.

Do what you need to achieve your goals.

For me, my goals involve gaining and losing at different times.

Edit: typo
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    My goal is to train and complete in an Ironman Triathlon. I don't give a *kitten* about weight.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Okay, the subject was my rant. So sick of all the weight focus. Are you fit? How do you define fitness? Are you scale obsessed?

I am here for the cauliflower recipes. Wheres yours?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm here for the cheese & topless men.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Okay, the subject was my rant. So sick of all the weight focus. Are you fit? How do you define fitness? Are you scale obsessed?

My goals are none of your business unless I ask for your opinion.

Why are you stressed out about what OTHER PEOPLE do? Does my focus on weight somehow keep you from achieving or working toward your own personal goal?

If they're not anyone's business but your own then why bother posting?
    Because the OP was incredibly judgmental and rude?
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    My goal is to train and complete in an Ironman Triathlon. I don't give a *kitten* about weight.

I just want to be #2....no I don't mean poop:angry:
  • missability
    Options

Why are you stressed out about what OTHER PEOPLE do? Does my focus on weight somehow keep you from achieving or working toward your own personal goal?

Thank you!...my thoughts precisely...way to much nose in others stuff. How we all manage to "face our stuff, rather than stuff our face" is an individual choice...:)
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    The scale matters to my doctor.

It also matters to my insurance company.

It matters if you want to go skydiving or horseback riding.

Hell, if you're one of those people who likes segway tours of cities, it matters there too.

I'm more about fitness and health, but the scale is a pretty good indicator of how I'm doing too.
  • ashandloggiesmom
    ashandloggiesmom Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I agree the focus shouldn't be weight, but overall health. For me, I can't attain true health or physical fitness with the extra 50lbs I'm carrying around. But there are many (mostly women) here who's goals are defined only by a number on the scale, I guess whatever motivates them, the fact that they are motivated to do better is all that matters.
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options

SORRY! For me it is about weight loss, getting healthy and living. For others it may about fitness, maintenance, or gaining weight. That is what is SO great about this site (beside being free) it is for anyone at any lvl. I am thankful for it and I love the friends I have made here.
    Sorry if this offends you. :flowerforyou:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    My number 1 goal right now is to get the weight off...health reasons. I know by doing it properly fitness will come into play so therefore in a sense fitness is second..you can agree or not but when I have to speak to my Physician about my meds my fitness level isn't a factor right now. I would love for her to really be all ears about my level of endurance when it comes to jogging or push-ups but really its just not in the cards at this moment.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about the number on the scale much anymore. The way my clothes fit tells me how well I am doing!
  • suziastro
    suziastro Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    well said!
  • suziastro
    suziastro Posts: 56 Member
    Options

If they're not anyone's business but your own then why bother posting?
    Because the OP was incredibly judgmental and rude?
    well said!
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I'm here for the cake.
  • Fattackler2013
    Fattackler2013 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    To me it is more about weight, but I also want to feel fitter and happier with the way that I look.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'm fit. My hobby is running races. For me weight is a key component. Studies have shown that for fit racers, 5 extra pounds in a 5k adds about 30 seconds. (There is a point of dimishing returns there and a point where you losing more just makes you weaker).

So yeah, for me much of it is about weight.
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Well, it kinda goes hand and hand. To be fit you must be at a healthy weight. And MFP helps you track your calories and you set up a weight loss goal. So I would say, yes....weight is also important.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    It is also a weightloss site, hence the calorie counting, the ticker and the watching one's weight.

Am I scale obsessed, no, but I keep check on my weight, it was NOT doing so before that meant I did not keep tabs on things.