New Fitbit

2»

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Fitbit only passes on a daily calorie burn figure and time stamp - that's it, to do math with.

MFP does everything else from there.

Your MFP estimated daily burn doesn't change until stats change like weight lowers.

Your MFP projected for new day at midnight would match that.

Things change as Fitbit sends new daily burn figures.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Hopefully my long winded scenario will help.

Keep in mind you'll never JUST burn 1505 (or 1517, my # was rounded down). BMR calories assume no movement, that your body is just working all its normal functions. Heart, lungs, brain and all your major systems doing their jobs. That is what burns ~1500 cals per day for you. Then as you move thru your day: physically transporting your body around - you burn more. This is estimated by MFP at about 25% of bmr for sedentary settings. The more you're on your feet and/or moving, the more you burn. So a person with an active job burns more on average than someone of the same height/weight/age/gender who sits all day.

The adjustment would not be as low as you suggest because MFP is still projecting that you'll move the rest of the day. The only way your adjustment would be that low is if you forgot the Fitbit, and synced fairly late in the day. Fitbit would report JUST your bmr in that scenario. But you did move, you did burn more, so in the event of a forgotten Fitbit I personally would make a note on my diary and perhaps a manual entry for 300-400 cals burned to estimate for daily activity.

stuarta99 wrote: »
    ok thanks, I'll keep it as is for a couple of days and see what happens especially on a day when I don't go for a run although sounds like I would still have what's now -156 whether Strava was connected or not.

I can see that the 1988 from Fitbit is obviously a projected based on what I've done today and is now at 2019 but I'm not going to keep that pace up so it will be sorely disappointed later when I don't hit 2019. Therefore 2019 from what Fitbit thinks I will do to 2175 from MFP from my 1882 plus what Strava added in = -156

So on that basis, if I hadn't done my run, MFP would have been 1882 and fitbit projected at maybe my average of 1517 so would be 1517-1882 so I'd be -365?

• nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Very basic bottom line: doing nothing at all, you will burn 63 cals per hour. Most hours you will do more than nothing, and thus burn more than 63 cals in the hour.
  • stuarta99
    stuarta99 Posts: 93 Member
    ok thanks, my BMR is 1505 according to MFP. If I put my goals at maintain it reports 1890 cal so can I assume that's effectively my RMR and 1882 is coming from the 1505 X a figure related to sedentary.

So with a quick back to basics and without going out on a tangent, I need to be below the 1890 to lose. I've also accepted @nanamerriman2020
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    RMR is just a tad above BMR.
    BMR as if sleeping.
    RMR as if awake.
    Both nothing else.

MFP is estimating a daily burn including: some movement, calories burned eating food, BMR. That's 1890.
    Not RMR.
    Not exercise included.

Eat to your stated adjusted goal.
    MFP's math keeps the desired deficit no matter the adjustment, unless that would cause going below 1500 male, 1200 female.

BMR 1505 x 1.25 = 1881

Throw in some rounding errors, or fact you may have logged some weight lost already, makes the 1890 from earlier weight.

You need to be below what you burn daily - all included. Which on exercise days will be more than 1890 or 1881 all included.
    Which if you do a big workout, you could be eating above 1890 and still have a deficit.

MFP is trying to teach life lesson regarding weight management.
    You do less, you eat less.
    You do more, you eat more.

tad less in either case in a diet to lose fat.