I need accountability!

Options
Hi everyone

I'm a woman, early 40s, been a member for a while but never posted before.

I'm 1.8m tall (5'11"), but narrowly built; for most of my 20s and 30s I weighed around 67kg (10.5 stone). More recently my weight has crept up, at times I've been as much as 77kg (just over 12 stone). It's not the biggest amount overweight, but I can see the difference from when I was slim: my gut and butt wobble when I run, I have love handles, my size 12 bottoms give me a muffin top, my chin doubles up.

I've tried to sort it out a few times over the last few years, and can get down to 71-73kg easily enough - currently 72kg - but have always let it slide after that. At this weight I visibly still have extra inches on my waist, stomach and bum, but seem to lose motivation to be able to shift it. I think some accountability and encouragement is what I need to stop that happening again!

My plan is:
a. Track all food - aiming for net cal no more than 1300;
b. Exercise properly 5 x week;
c. Maximise protein - currently around 70g/day;
d. Weigh daily and measure weekly, and use the accountability threads to share my progress.

Any other tips?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest measuring monthly rather than weekly, you're not going to see much difference week-to-week in your measurements.

What rate of loss are you aiming for? You could be struggling with motivation long term because you're going too aggressive, as you're already in a healthy weight range and you're aiming for vanity weight loss, then 0.5-1lbs per week would be more appropriate than a higher rate.

• mightybunky
    mightybunky Posts: 90 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Thanks for replying! I'm aiming for 0.5 kg (1 lb) a week. I think you're right about measuring too much, I need to remember it's got to be a long term thing. Agree I'm technically in "healthy" range, but it's all relative - with my build, at 77kg I'm pushing 30% body fat - and it shows!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    On days you exercise you should be eating more food.

If you have not been exercising for a time start at a low intensity. Not only is this better for your body if you suddenly start a calorie deficit and start burning a lot of calories in exercise you may struggle to control your hunger.

I suggest adding the following to your plan:

e. Be kind to myself
    f. Look at mistakes as learning opportunities
  • mightybunky
    mightybunky Posts: 90 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Thanks! I usually exercise quite a bit, and the calories are net, so I do compensate for exercise. Like I say, no problem dropping the first few kilos (3 so far this time round), but previously I've got to this point and then slacked off the tracking and it's crept back on again by the time I next get on the scale. So there is a learning opportunity there somewhere, just trying to work out what it is!