Looking to share stories and motivation and make some friends along the way

Options
This is my second honest attempt at serious weight loss. My first run was relatively successful - I lost 55 pounds in about 5 months. But then I let life happen - I didn't make myself a priority and I gained it all back, with an extra 15 pounds. How awesome! So officially at the heaviest I've ever been in my entire life, it's put me at my lowest (mentally) and desperately needing to change.

So here we are, I'm just over three weeks into my new lifestyle, and I'm 12.2 pounds lighter - with a lot more to go. I've been working on this on my own for the most part - haven't really been talking to friends about it and I've been wrestling with if that's the right decision or not. So I've decided to come here for support and encouragement instead. If you'd like to talk about what works for you - what doesn't. Weird things that you've encountered. Random things that you'd like to celebrate - whatever. I'd like to add a new friend or two as well. But I'm not looking to connect with people that are just trying to collect friends.

So I'd love to hear from you - let's do this together. Thanks!

Replies

• mc62412
    mc62412 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Firefly743 wrote: »
    This is my second honest attempt at serious weight loss. My first run was relatively successful - I lost 55 pounds in about 5 months. But then I let life happen - I didn't make myself a priority and I gained it all back, with an extra 15 pounds. How awesome! So officially at the heaviest I've ever been in my entire life, it's put me at my lowest (mentally) and desperately needing to change.

So here we are, I'm just over three weeks into my new lifestyle, and I'm 12.2 pounds lighter - with a lot more to go. I've been working on this on my own for the most part - haven't really been talking to friends about it and I've been wrestling with if that's the right decision or not. So I've decided to come here for support and encouragement instead. If you'd like to talk about what works for you - what doesn't. Weird things that you've encountered. Random things that you'd like to celebrate - whatever. I'd like to add a new friend or two as well. But I'm not looking to connect with people that are just trying to collect friends.

So I'd love to hear from you - let's do this together. Thanks!

👋🏼 This isn’t my first try at losing the extra weight that just ... packed on. I’ve tried a few times in the past. I get to a “good” spot or good enough, and “quit” or fall off along the way and never got back on.

This go around though I’m more determined.
    The last time I gave it a real effort was back in 2015. I lost 60 pounds. But then stopped tracking and logging. And it all came back !

So I decided to start fresh....again lol.
    This time I find it easier to say no to the foods I used to eat and the snacks. Interesting on why I have more discipline now then I did in the past. I guess I just REALLY want the change this time.

I started April 2020. At just under my highest weight by 3 pounds. Yikes. Starting at 290.5.
    Since starting back up, I have to day, lost 45.8 pounds.
    Honestly, I don’t know why it seemed so hard for me the first few times. This time around doesn’t seem to be as difficult. Sure there are less easy days... but it hasn’t been like how I felt it was hard in the past.

I think COVID locking down a lot of things and people not having parties and gatherings has for sure helped. Your not out eating food you don’t have control over that’s being served. And they say social outings people typically eat more then if they were home.

I’d like to lose 100 pounds and see how I feel from there. Everyone carries weight differently. 100 pound loss, and I may be satisfied, or I may still have some work to do. I won’t know until I get there.

100 pounds ! Sounds scary and exhausting. But I’m almost half way there and I’ve been doing ok. I wasn’t always bigger, so it’s been an adjustment to cope with the things I stopped doing cause I just felt like my weight hindered things.

There are so many other things I’ve never done that I’d like to do ! That again, I never actually do cause I’m bigger. It’s a 💩 feeling. BUT, I’m headed the right direction.

I weigh daily, but only record my weight weekly here.
    I like weighing daily to see how the days food settles. It also for me is a motivator. If the scale is creeping the opposite direction then I’d like to see, I tighten up my eating and try eating cleaner the next day.

The people around me in my personal life aren’t on a weight loss journey so I often come here for motivation.
  • Firefly743
    Firefly743 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    That's awesome - you are doing absolutely fantastic!

I think it's "easier" for you this time because perhaps this time you are really ready, you really want it. It sounds like you really have a good handle on what is working for you!!

Keep it up! YOU GOT THIS!!!
  • Jackiefrost1013
    Jackiefrost1013 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi firefly and welcome. This is my second go round on mfp and like you my first attempt I lost 60 pounds but let life happen and gain it all back. I had a health scare recently that led me to really look at myself. A dr told me if I didn’t los weight and quit smoking I wouldn’t be here in 10 yrs. my husband and I are raising our grandson and for him I need to do this as well as for myself.

I’m 5 weeks in and smoke free and down 19 pounds. I have my days where I want to go eat a big fat burger but I think of my grandson and realize it’s not worth it.

For me it’s about counting calories and staying in a deficit. Also trying to be active. I clean houses for a living so I get some exercise doing that but haven’t incorporated anything else just yet. Mainly just because I. Too tired once I get home.

I’m definitely in it for the long haul this time around and welcome a friend request if you want someone to help keep you motivated. I log daily and my diary is open.

I wish you the best of luck!
  • mc62412
    mc62412 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Firefly743 wrote: »
    That's awesome - you are doing absolutely fantastic!

I think it's "easier" for you this time because perhaps this time you are really ready, you really want it. It sounds like you really have a good handle on what is working for you!!

Keep it up! YOU GOT THIS!!!

I think so. Thanks !
    You got it too ! 👏🏼💪🏼
  • AndreaMarie1236
    AndreaMarie1236 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You are doing wonderful!! Glad to have you back on the wagon!!! Let’s do this :)
  • Firefly743
    Firefly743 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi firefly and welcome. This is my second go round on mfp and like you my first attempt I lost 60 pounds but let life happen and gain it all back. I had a health scare recently that led me to really look at myself. A dr told me if I didn’t los weight and quit smoking I wouldn’t be here in 10 yrs. my husband and I are raising our grandson and for him I need to do this as well as for myself.

I’m 5 weeks in and smoke free and down 19 pounds. I have my days where I want to go eat a big fat burger but I think of my grandson and realize it’s not worth it.

For me it’s about counting calories and staying in a deficit. Also trying to be active. I clean houses for a living so I get some exercise doing that but haven’t incorporated anything else just yet. Mainly just because I. Too tired once I get home.

I’m definitely in it for the long haul this time around and welcome a friend request if you want someone to help keep you motivated. I log daily and my diary is open.

I wish you the best of luck!

WOW! You are doing great!! You definitely have a lot on your plate! And giving up smoking - that's HUGE! Congratulations!!! That alone is worth celebrating!!!

I'm glad you found your reason to make a second attempt at this - let's see what you can do this time!! KEEP IT UP!!