I WANT TO CRY

Options
This summer I have worked so hard eating healthily and excercising everyday. I went to a festival last week and I don't think I've ever eaten so unhealthily or drunk so much solidly for 5 days. I've put on 5lb and I can't express how disappointed in myself I am. I've literally lost any sort of motivation I had before. How do you bounce back from something like this? any words of advice or motivation would be greatly appreciated :(

Replies

• lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Unless you've eaten 17,500 calories over your maintenance calories, you haven't gained 5lb of fat. It's going to be mostly water. My advice to you; get back on it, and that weight will drop off as quick as it came on.

Words of motivation: this time next month, you will wish you started today. Don't undo all your hard work for one slip up. We are all human, and we all do it. The trick is to jump straight back on the wagon.
  • Livin4me1969
    Livin4me1969 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    More than likely what you have gained is water weight due the sodium in the food that you ate..Do not panic this will come off,,you need to drink a lot of water and one thing that I do when this happens is to eat a banana a day for 3-4 days and that helps get rid of some of the excess sodium..Don't worry all your hard work has not gone away :smile:
  • karlahere
    karlahere Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Aw come on, don't give up because of a measly 5 pounds! Take this as a lesson in moderation. Last year, I kept gaining like 7-10 pounds when I'm in the city (I love calorie bombs. :D), and I always get back to my working weight after a few weeks.

Take a chill pill. Tons of us here have the same problems, so you've got a great support network here.
  • AccioHotBod
    AccioHotBod Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Unless you've eaten 17,500 calories over your maintenance calories, you haven't gained 5lb of fat. It's going to be mostly water. My advice to you; get back on it, and that weight will drop off as quick as it came on.

Words of motivation: this time next month, you will wish you started today. Don't undo all your hard work for one slip up. We are all human, and we all do it. The trick is to jump straight back on the wagon.

I agree. Just keep going. You can't be perfect all the time, but you can keep trying to make yourself better each day.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    This isn't a perfect lifestyle . There will be plenty of bad days . Just make sure your good days outweigh your bad.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    If you have no motivation just now, just act like you do and get at it - eventually the motivation will come. Fake it til you make it!!
  • HollieDollieeeex
    HollieDollieeeex Posts: 116 Member
    Options

^^ what she said. I went to America last year for 3 weeks and put on 9lbs, It came off thick and fast and was quite clearly water retention. You'll be fine, keep at it :)
  • Billscrazygal
    Options
    You shouldn't penalize yourself. .. one little bump on the road isn't going to make you stop driving right?
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    You can cry. I totally get regretting it. But then you need to simply pick yourself up and resume the good behavior. As other have said, you didn't gain 5 pounds of fat. Get back on track and you'll see the weight drop.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    This summer I have worked so hard eating healthily and excercising everyday. I went to a festival last week and I don't think I've ever eaten so unhealthily or drunk so much solidly for 5 days. I've put on 5lb and I can't express how disappointed in myself I am. I've literally lost any sort of motivation I had before. How do you bounce back from something like this? any words of advice or motivation would be greatly appreciated :(

I am going to quote Anne of Green Gables here if I may...

"Tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes in it." Anne Shirley

Today is a new day...start fresh and don't look back...or you might walk into something. :) Cheer up
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    How much sodium do you consume? Could be that...water retention. Keep your chin up!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Consider it a lesson learned. Try to limit the "crazy days" to under 5. Realize that eating crap will pile on the water retention. And, get back to the behaviors that brought you the positive results. Can't undo the past. Just have to learn from it.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I don't get it.

Didn't you try hard all summer so you can have fun in life? So you had a week or partying. Just move on. Unless you posted embarrassing selfies on facebook. Those hang around forever.
    Also I can fluctuate 5 - 10 pounds in a day.
  • Samenamenewlook
    Samenamenewlook Posts: 296 Member
    Options

^^THIS! Very well said!
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your discovery. You are imperfect just like everybody else.

If you want to achieve your goals, you know that you can do that. One festival isn't gonna break you. Also, the 17000 calorie thing.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    133709558275.gif
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    It happened. It will happen again. One bad week won't hurt you in the long run any more than one good week will fix you.
  • Mekatluvr
    Mekatluvr Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Everyone deserves one day to relax and enjoy themselves without constantly counting calories. I allow myself one day out of the week where I don't count calories, and I do not weight myself the day afterwards because all it does is bring me down and with it self-loathing. Quiet frankly, that's not fun! lol So do yourself a BIG favor, let go. You enjoyed yourself, you had a great time, so allow yourself that. Today is a new day and you have us on your side to keep you motivated. :)

“People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing – that’s why we recommend it daily.” ~Zig Ziglar
  • vinylscratch
    vinylscratch Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Which festival? I always go to Bonnaroo and I gain weight -- thanks to walking miles and miles every day , using muscles I didn't even know I had to rig shelter, climb barricades, stand for hours and "hold it" when I get a good spot!! It's consistently 100+ degrees there and one would think I'd lose weight -- but I don't. And it always goes away! Don't stress about it, my gut is that it's water retention from the extreme conditions and you'll be back to normal in no time!! <-- Roo veteran!
  • ltowne
    ltowne Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Been there! I worked so hard before the cruise and then blew it while gone! I knew that I would lighten up and wanted to enjoy the vacation, but it has been so hard to get back on track since being home. Once you begin old habits, it is hard to break them. I am still struggling with this, but I felt so good 10 pounds ago that I am determined to get it off again! Mind over matter. Good luck!