On your mark, get set, GO!!!

fabdiva
fabdiva Posts: 3
edited September 21 in Introduce Yourself
Needless to say I've been getting set for a while now....I'm finally on the go and looking forward to a lifestyle change! I'm super glad that I found myfitnesspal as an Ap[ for my ipod. Now that I know what I'm eating I can make better choices. See you when I'm 50lbs lighter!

I do have a question though? I have started adding exercise and am wondering if it's better to eat before or after? At the end of a workout I am STARVING....any ideas on this?

Replies

• sdscouser
    sdscouser Posts: 320
    Hi there.

I am not a fittness expert by any means so all I can say is what I have found that works for me.

I normally have a very light snake before I go to the gym if i am feeling hungry (apple, cereal bar etc) and then when I have finished the work out I make sure i eat within the first hour as I have heard/read that this is when the body will use most of the food to rebuild itself and not store if for later.

As I said i am not an expert but it may help you.

Good luck on your lifestyle change journey.
  • akaDumbo
    akaDumbo Posts: 187
    Hi and welcome to the site.

I was watching the biggest loser the other night and they recommended that you eat some carbs to give you energy before you exercise and high protein immediately after you finish to rebuild the muscle that you have broken down during the workout.
  • dgroulx
    dgroulx Posts: 159 Member
    Complex carbs should last long enough to give you energy throughout your work out. Your body burns what was digested first, then glycogen (energy molecule stored in muscle tissue), then body fat. Fat is broken down by hydrolysis (water breaking the molecule). Make sure you are drinking enough water, because you are losing water through sweat, too. You want to make sure you eat first because if your body uses up all the stored glycogen you will get muscle cramps.

(Sorry, my bachelor's degree is biology/premed. I love biology.)
  • fabdiva
    fabdiva Posts: 3
    Thanks everyone for your responses!!
This discussion has been closed.