Sugar lows during work outs

This morning, on my run, I hit a sugar low at about mile three (with two to go). That is the first time that has happened to me on a run (like ever). I run in the morning and don't eat before (its really hard for me to eat before I run, even if I have ample time for digesion, it usually takes at least three hours after a meal to for me to comfortably go on a run, and often times I will still have stomach problems during)

Today, though, I could feel my sugar drop, and it lead me to wonder two things: 1) Am I getting enough calories in a day? 2) What is a good pre-run nutrition suppliment I could take before a work out to help stave off bonking during a run?

Suggestions?

Replies

• HollieDollieeeex
    HollieDollieeeex Posts: 116 Member
    What's your calorie goal? Do you eat back exercise calories?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Eat more carbs seems to make sense.
  • What's your calorie goal? Do you eat back exercise calories?

My calorie goal is 1450....normally, I eat back most of my exercise calories...today I earned an extra 800 from my run...not sure if I'll eat back all of those calories....between two jobs, commuting and family life, sometimes it can be a challenge :smile:
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    I"m sure the runners will chime in - I'm still rather new - but have you thought about bringing something easily digestible with you like honey, stingers, those gummy bear things, etc? If this is the first time it's happened, it may have just been a fluke, but you can try that and see how it feels.
  • I know you said you don't like to eat before a run, but I'd suggest a very quick, LIGHT snack of "peanut butter spoon" before your run. You want a slow-releasing carb and protein combo.
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    This is precisely what sport drinks are made for. Get thee some Gatorade.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    This morning, on my run, I hit a sugar low at about mile three (with two to go). That is the first time that has happened to me on a run (like ever). I run in the morning and don't eat before (its really hard for me to eat before I run, even if I have ample time for digesion, it usually takes at least three hours after a meal to for me to comfortably go on a run, and often times I will still have stomach problems during)

Today, though, I could feel my sugar drop, and it lead me to wonder two things: 1) Am I getting enough calories in a day? 2) What is a good pre-run nutrition suppliment I could take before a work out to help stave off bonking during a run?

Suggestions?

You could buy Smarties candies
    http://www.smarties.com/product/smarties/

I think they have 5 g of glucose per tab. You would dose yourself as needed. It's quick, it's easy & it's what I keep in my bag to combat the possibility of hypoglycemia.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    How do you know your sugar dropped?
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    My fasting glucose has always tested pretty low. Whenever I will be out for a long workout I make sure I have a Stinger Honey Waffle with me. It's easy to eat and has 160 calories. They have saved my *kitten* a few times during strenuous hikes. I actually carry one with me at all times now. I learned that passing out at Six Flags is quite embarrassing.
  • stsanche
    stsanche Posts: 27 Member

Suggestions?

how do you know your sugar dropped? what were you feeling at mile 3 of your run?
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member

Suggestions?

I think they have 5 g of glucose per tab. You would dose yourself as needed. It's quick, it's easy & it's what I keep in my bag to combat the possibility of hypoglycemia.

Oh man, this will be my excuse to buy candy. "Honey, they're... nutritional supplements, for when I'm working out!"
  • emartin17
    emartin17 Posts: 123 Member
    Look up a little thing called reactive hypoglycemia. I have it, it's not fun. Sounds like you may have that. Try a tablespoon of PB before a run. Or buy the jelly belly sport beans during your run
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member

Suggestions?

Oh man, this will be my excuse to buy candy. "Honey, they're... nutritional supplements, for when I'm working out!"

Well now, I wouldn't do that :laugh: but as the poster above said 'reactive hypoglycemia' is what you use them to treat. You can also buy glucose tabs at the drugstore, I believe it also has the same amount of glucose per tab.