Calculating food from a mom and pop restaurant?

Options
OAS5
OAS5 Posts: 376 Member
How do you calculate calories/macros when you eat at a mom and pop restaurant that obviously won't be in the MFP database? I'm kicking into high gear here to lose this last 15 pounds and I'm really doing well. I'm being extremely accurate with tracking right now as the last 15 are there hardest.
Tonight we are having Thai food, tonight it's off my regular food and eating out night. It's hard to calculate this one though? Just guesstimate for tonight? Get as close as possible?

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Try and find a chain restraunt, and find a similar dish.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Sometimes its more art than science. In those cases I will search the database, and hope that I find a few different entries, then log the one that seems to be in the middle from a calorie perspective. Other times I'll pick the highest one if I'm not sure. I will NEVER choose the lowest calorie option, because then I'm just lying to myself!
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,175 Member
    Options
    Another option I use sometimes is to log the ingredients separately, if I know the dish or can identify the ingredients (erring on the side of higher quantities for high calorie ingredients).
  • OAS5
    Options
    briscogun wrote: »
    Sometimes its more art than science. In those cases I will search the database, and hope that I find a few different entries, then log the one that seems to be in the middle from a calorie perspective. Other times I'll pick the highest one if I'm not sure. I will NEVER choose the lowest calorie option, because then I'm just lying to myself!

Huh that's funny because ya know what I have done just this in the past. Sometimes I'll enter each ingredient in the dish. Trying to be super accurate right now but I'll be ok for today.
    Lost 72 pounds, trying like hell for the last 15 now. 😳
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Log conservatively, give yourself an appropriate buffer, enjoy the meal and know that 1 meal won't stop your progress.

Oh and if you weigh daily, expect a small jump tomorrow due to extra sodium.
  • OAS5
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Log conservatively, give yourself an appropriate buffer, enjoy the meal and know that 1 meal won't stop your progress.

Yeah that "jump" is gonna suck. Got it down to where I like the number the last 5 days but as they say it's just a number.
  • OAS5
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »

And exactly 2 pounds up from yesterday, but because of sodium like you said, Thai food is high in sodium.