Could use a bit of encouragement - finally making slow progress

Options
Cinder333
Cinder333 Posts: 39 Member
Hi Everyone-
I have belonged to this site for YEARS, and have had times where I was able to lose a few pounds. I have tried every diet under the sun (weight watchers, Atkins, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, The Five Day Diet, etc). My youngest child is getting married, and seeing her dress shop with her bridesmaids put me in a bit of a panic. She is a very successful person with an amazing degree and job. She is also strikingly beautiful, and her wedding is going to be a huge affair (COVID willing). I realized as her mother I will also be a bit in the spotlight. Thankfully she sees me through a 24-year-old daughter's eyes, and is proud of me no matter what I weigh.

I started to realize that I have become downright unhealthy. My weight was high, my blood pressure high, I have a sedentary job and come home and sit on the couch until bed. My arthritis in my feet and knees is bad, and I have chronic pain in my right hip. And I am only 47.

I worked with my oldest child (27 year-old), and agreed to try calorie counting and to set my initial goal rather high to adjust. He is a microbiologist and was concerned that during COVID I would already have a few strikes against me if I end up sick, and needed to improve my health. I started at 1450 calories/day, but each day I also ended up eating a few hundred extra. I kept tracking anyway. I made some easy changes to decrease my calories - I love sweetened iced tea, but it is around 135 calories for a tall Contigo container of it. So I limit myself to 1 a day. I eat less during the work day, and try to include some healthy food I enjoy.

I am now going on 45 plus days. I have reduced my calories to 1200-1400 (I am only 5 ft. 1 inch). I am bike riding daily - I started going a small distance and now have easily quadrupled it). I am down around 6 pounds. My arthritis feels better usually, and my hip isn't aching. Best of all my blood pressure is now running 111/87. It was around 129/97 or even higher. At this rate I won't have to go on meds. And most importantly - it is becoming a habit. I am not struggling all day to not eat, and I usually feel like exercising.

I am so thankful for all of the advise the successful weight losers have given on this sight. Although it took me years to finally follow it, I am so happy for all of the tips. I also realize that for me I will probably have to track for the rest of my days, but it really doesn't take me that long and is worth it.

So now a few questions -

I need to figure out something more for exercise. My arms and stomach (really my whole body) are still flabby. Would you guys advise starting a weight lifting regimen, or perhaps a toning video a few times a week? And any youtube/exercise videos you suggest?

In addition to weight loss I am also trying to make small improvements. Right now I still don't drink enough fluids, and when I drink it is diet Dr. Pepper or iced tea with Monin syrup. Has anyone successfully switched to water, and did it get easier? Did you do a gradual switch? I don't get thirsty like a normal person, so if I don't like the taste I simply don't drink.

I am 5'1, and started at 136.8. I am 130.8 this morning. I was thinking once I hit about 125 I would increase my calories to minimum 1350 a day. Most of my weight loss has happened recently, once I decreased to 1200/day. My goal weight is 113 pounds, but I am willing to be a bit higher if I find that too hard to comfortably maintain. Does increasing to 1350 seem reasonable, or should I get down to 120 pounds first?

Sorry for the length - I am feeling very excited and hopeful that I can do this now. I have 11 months before her wedding, and the best news is she is planning to move back by me. Then I will have my exercise partner and best friend back.

Replies

• bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Start lifting weights asap. Watch how to videos to start and do a routine of some sort. Many many options. MFP has a sticky somewhere about lifting. Read it. Gradually build up your strength..it doesn't happen in a day. And don't be afraid of lifting heavy.

I can't speak to your calories..I'm 5'7" and 175 is my goal weight. But I know from years of experience, small changes done consistently, make solid good habits for a healthy future. Its the key for me.

I'm currently in a slump right now. But I've had long term success in the past. And lifting weights, eating loads of vegetables and moving every day is what has done the trick. Eating more vegetables has so many benefits. Your skin will improve and your energy will be up. I'm not talking about giving up meat or grains, but increasing your vegetable intake if you aren't currently eating at leadt 5 a day..all colors.

I had a friend who gave up soda, she went cold turkey. she now drinks water with either Crystal light or bubbly water.

Good luck!! 11 months is a long time, make short term goals, not weight, but inches and successful habits. The scale is never a good gauge for me. Take pictures and measurements. I wish I had.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    P.s. yay for bike riding!!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I was a Diet Coke and a Diet Dr. Pepper junkie. I didn't want to give up bubbles so initially switched to no-cal sweetened seltzers, then to flavored, unsweetened seltzers and finally to a SodaStream machine. I'm now a total fizzy water drinker and on the rare occasion I try to drink a Diet Coke or Diet Dr. Pepper, I find they taste disgusting! Give me carbon dioxide in my water and I'm happy.

So, start by trading out some of those diet sodas with diet seltzer and then unsweetened flavored seltzers like LaCroix, Polar, Poland Springs, Sypho, etc. They have a gazillion flavors. My favorites were grapefruit, lime and lemon.

Oh, as an extra added bonus, this greatly pleased my dental hygienist and it took less time for her to clean my teeth!
  • Cinder333
    Cinder333 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks Bebeisfit - I am going to start the weight lifting today. I think it will make a huge difference.

Thanks HeidiCooksSupper - I am drinking a glass of water this morning. I will try the seltzers too. I have to whiten my teeth all the time, so it would be nice to get rid of the dark drinks.