Interesting cod recipe please

Options
I eat cod about 2-3 times a week because I like it and it’s lower in calories and high protein but I’m bored of it at the same time. Need some new recipes please!

Replies

• RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Thats a lot of cod..
    You didnt give the recipes youve done so um...
    I wrap mine in foil with coconut oil and lemon pepper and cook at 350 for 10-12 minutes.
    I eat it with aparagus or broccoli, steamed.
    I like it with brown rice. Sometimes ill eat it with red skins.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    Not knowing how you prepare it, some of this will likely be redundant -

in addition to baking or broiling (there are many toppings/flavorings you can incorporate, such as fresh herbs and butter, lemon and capers, pesto, tomatoes and olives, etc etc) I love the standard battered and fried with tartar sauce.

I also like to add fish to curries and chowders (a standby for me is potato, corn, and fish chowder) Also, fish cakes, fish pie (not necesaarily very low-cal), and fish rolls, nuff said.

Most of those preparation methods will work with a variety of fish types.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I put salsa (any type- tomato, peach, etc) on top, then bake or microwave it until done.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Thats a lot of cod..
    You didnt give the recipes youve done so um...
    I wrap mine in foil with coconut oil and lemon pepper and cook at 350 for 10-12 minutes.
    I eat it with aparagus or broccoli, steamed.
    I like it with brown rice. Sometimes ill eat it with red skins.

Thanks, but how is that a lot of cod? You’re supposed to eat fish multiple times a week, it’s healthier than red meat. Anyway, I didn’t come here to get get nutrition advice I just wanted some ideas.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    Not knowing how you prepare it, some of this will likely be redundant -

in addition to baking or broiling (there are many toppings/flavorings you can incorporate, such as fresh herbs and butter, lemon and capers, pesto, tomatoes and olives, etc etc) I love the standard battered and fried with tartar sauce.

I also like to add fish to curries and chowders (a standby for me is potato, corn, and fish chowder) Also, fish cakes, fish pie (not necesaarily very low-cal), and fish rolls, nuff said.

Most of those preparation methods will work with a variety of fish types.

Thanks for the ideas never thought of fish pie 🥧 might try something like that!
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    Jelaan wrote: »
    I put salsa (any type- tomato, peach, etc) on top, then bake or microwave it until done.

Mmm I love salsa!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    It does add some carbs but how about turning the cod into cakes (patties). I personally don't find cod to have much flavor but if you like a really mild fish, it's a good one. I'm more of a blue-fish, haddock girl, myself.
  • LinkedEmpire
    LinkedEmpire Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I eat it as a fish sandwich. I pan sear it with olive oil based butter, salt/pepper and either make a sauce from the butter with lemon juice or deydrated and ground lemon peel. Lime works too. Placed in a sandwich thin with vegan mayo, choice of greens, avocado and/or red onion. I had cod tonight with peanut/chili/garlic sauce on a bed of edamame spaghetti and veggies. Topped with a sesame and seaweed spice blend.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I have cod as a regular, but rotate it with Halibut, Orange Roughy and Scallops for whitefish (although of course a scallop is not a white fish).

Cod is always wet unless you batter and fry it which ruins the whole point of cod in the first place. And, it melts in soup and stew down to nothing. And, it is not great in a sandwich because it is wet. Halibut is perfect for a sandwich. I usually make cod by seasoning it and baking it.

If you have to saute it due to time constraints, roll it in soy sauce, dry it off, heat a tbsp of toasted sesame oil to 375 F. in a non stick pan, add a pat of butter, and saute both sides until crisp and center opaque. Serve with Oyster Sauce.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    It does add some carbs but how about turning the cod into cakes (patties). I personally don't find cod to have much flavor but if you like a really mild fish, it's a good one. I'm more of a blue-fish, haddock girl, myself.

Thanks I’ll definitely try those especially since I love potato and I’m not low carb either.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    I eat it as a fish sandwich. I pan sear it with olive oil based butter, salt/pepper and either make a sauce from the butter with lemon juice or deydrated and ground lemon peel. Lime works too. Placed in a sandwich thin with vegan mayo, choice of greens, avocado and/or red onion. I had cod tonight with peanut/chili/garlic sauce on a bed of edamame spaghetti and veggies. Topped with a sesame and seaweed spice blend.

Oh never thought to eat it in a sandwich!
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    I have cod as a regular, but rotate it with Halibut, Orange Roughy and Scallops for whitefish (although of course a scallop is not a white fish).

Cod is always wet unless you batter and fry it which ruins the whole point of cod in the first place. And, it melts in soup and stew down to nothing. And, it is not great in a sandwich because it is wet. Halibut is perfect for a sandwich. I usually make cod by seasoning it and baking it.

If you have to saute it due to time constraints, roll it in soy sauce, dry it off, heat a tbsp of toasted sesame oil to 375 F. in a non stick pan, add a pat of butter, and saute both sides until crisp and center opaque. Serve with Oyster Sauce.

Thanks, I’ll definitely try I with soy sauce, that’s a totally different flavour.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I like the "Food Processor Perfection" fish cake recipe.

Have been meaning to try Thai style like this: https://www.delish.com/uk/cooking/recipes/a30622495/thai-fish-cakes/ although I'll reduce the curry paste and leave out the chilies, otherwise, ouch!
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    I eat cod about 2-3 times a week because I like it and it’s lower in calories and high protein but I’m bored of it at the same time. Need some new recipes please!

@xxzenabxx - I love cod and seafood - These are some of my fav preparations -

~Use in a stew or bouillabaisse- the flaky light texture of cod is great with a tomato based broth.

~Serve on a bed of ratatouille- it absorbs the juices of the caramelized, roasted vegetables really well! ( I made this today!)

~ Stuffed cod- Make any stuffing you like and bake in oven. I use rosemary, almond flour and eggs.

~Tandoori Cod - spicy and awesome!

~lemon butter Cod on a cauliflower mash - 😋

Hope some of these work for ya!
    👩🏼‍🍳