Weight fluctuations

Options
We all know it. Our weight fluctuates every day. You're really only supposed to weigh yourself once a week.
I've been weighing myself every day to see just how much mine fluctuates. Some days I weigh less, some more (the definition of fluctuates lol) But it's REALLY annoying that one day I'll have lost and when the official weigh in day (for me is mondays) comes and it's a gain. How do you combat the sheer loss of motivation from seeing that?

Replies

• JholinaJoy
    JholinaJoy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, but then average all those weigh-ins and record the average each week. Makes me feel less anxious about the daily ups and downs when I know they are going to be figured into an average. Plus it's less pressure on the weekly weigh-in day to have that particular day be lower.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,121 Member
    Options
    I just weigh daily and put it in my spreadsheet. I'm not mentally invested in single weigh-ins (although I will admit several upticks in a row can be frustrating 🙂).
    I don't get demotivated because I've been losing weight for a year now and I trust the process: I know I'm doing the right things and that it's just a matter of being patient.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    You're really only supposed to weigh yourself once a week.

No, it’s your body and your decision. You can weigh yourself as often as you want.
    _vicky2291 wrote: »
    If you weigh in daily and record it every day it's your trend weight that you would record on your weigh in date, not the scale weight of that day

Again no. YOU may decide your trend weight is what YOU want to record. Someone else may decide to do differently (I certainly do).

@AngelOfMusic1028 if what you are doing is demotivating you then consider changing. You could weigh once a week, you could record only trend weight, you could decide to weigh every day and only record each time you hit a new low. Experiment and find what works for you. But please don’t feel (or let other people tell you) that there’s a “right” way to do it. Personally the most motivating for me is to hit a lower weight during the week then a higher weight on my “official” weigh in day. In other words the exact situation you’re complaining about! I like it because it makes me feel that the weigh in isn’t just a fluke, I know I’ve been lower.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, and by this time I simply permit myself to be amused and amazed at the daily roll of the dice that’s my weight.

You can either get totally and OCD invested in it, or accept that it’s a trend, do your utmost to put yourself on the right side of that trend.

But the first few months of it is unnerving.

My SIL has a doctorate in some kind of arcane random number mathematics. Boy, if he could get a handle on this.......
  • fabulous40s2020
    fabulous40s2020 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I just started 2 weeks ago. I weigh myself of Friday’s, I’ve been averaging 2 lbs a week, just out of curiosity I just got in the scale and it said I had gained so no more of weighing myself before Friday!